IGNORED

Atari developing hardware for VCS

Lord Mushroom

Oooo! Nebulous "new hardware" announcement. This is perfect for unsubstantiated rumors. I believe it will be a VCS 800 Super Charger that will allow us to play graphically superior games stored on magnetic tape, provided that we hook the system up to a cassette deck via USB.

Seriously though, I excited to see what comes of this announcement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I wouldn’t mind a trackball controller or  maybe there coming up with some sort of add on that will allow the Atari VCS to boot physical media from the Atari OS like 2600/7800 game carts maybe?. I’m really excited to find out more about whatever there developing as it sounds promising. 

They VCS already supports a wide range of USB devices, so it's hard to imagine what they might come up with that doesn't already exist-   unless they just plan on rebranding devices with the Atari name (An Atari-styled keyboard would be cool ;) )

But a cart reader is an interesting possibility...   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, swlovinist said:

If they made a cart reader that would be amazing.    

If they made a cart reader, I wonder if it would be just for 7800/2600 carts or if it would have other options. Now that they have emulators for all their systems coming in the 50th Anniversary Collection, it might be possible to have readers for Jaguar and Lynx which would be awesome. And if it were a USB add-on as I assume it would be, would it possibly work on any PC?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, stirrell said:

If they made a cart reader, I wonder if it would be just for 7800/2600 carts or if it would have other options. Now that they have emulators for all their systems coming in the 50th Anniversary Collection, it might be possible to have readers for Jaguar and Lynx which would be awesome. And if it were a USB add-on as I assume it would be, would it possibly work on any PC?

Don't forget the 8 bit line!

12 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

I am sorry to inform you that there is no emulator in the sense that with a cartridge reader the VCS could read an official Jaguar or Lynx cartridge for example. Look at what is explained on the website of digitaleclipse.com, see the attached file.

theeclipsengine.PNG

So basically they are recompiling the games into some virtual machine format?

On 8/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, zzip said:

So basically they are recompiling the games into some virtual machine format?

That's right. They adapt the original game to run on their Eclipse engine platform. Then this game is directly compatible with all the hardware that the eclipse engine supports currently and in the future. It's clever because they become essential for the future... 

Edited by RadiATIon

On 8/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, swlovinist said:

If they made a cart reader that would be amazing.    

Can't see them wanting to do that. Right now they are selling 7800 game roms in their store.  A cart ready means they loss those sales.  Even if it's low volume thst is money coming in to Atari at no cost  Versus cost of designing, making and selling a cart reader so that people can stop buying roms in their store.  As much as VCS cart owners would like this, can't see it benefiting Atari.

9 minutes ago, rayik said:

Can't see them wanting to do that. Right now they are selling 7800 game roms in their store.  A cart ready means they loss those sales.  Even if it's low volume thst is money coming in to Atari at no cost  Versus cost of designing, making and selling a cart reader so that people can stop buying roms in their store.  As much as VCS cart owners would like this, can't see it benefiting Atari.

There's a lot of old games they can't sell due to not having the legal rights.   A cart reader would allow VCS owners to play those games, which would entice new users to pick up a VCS ultimately resulting in more online sales (probably of the pricier games too).  Plus they'd earn something off the sale of the reader

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The biggest reason for a cart reader from Atari's perspective I'd think would be to sell something people can plug their new AtariXP carts into that modern Atari is still making revenue on (unlike the OG 2600's).

But aren't those games already in one of the Atari Vault compilations on VCS?