IGNORED

Atari developing hardware for VCS

Lord Mushroom

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The biggest reason for a cart reader from Atari's perspective I'd think would be to sell something people can plug their new AtariXP carts into that modern Atari is still making revenue on (unlike the OG 2600's).

That's a really good point. And if it were something like a cart reader, it would most likely be 2600/7800 I would think. I would just love to see some of the other systems get new ways to play the games. Especially since the Jaguar is so hard to find and Lynx screens aren't getting any brighter (without a mod anyway).

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

But aren't those games already in one of the Atari Vault compilations on VCS?

Yes, but I think people are likely buying the XP carts more for the packaging and the cool shells. Maybe one would be more likely to buy one if they could play it. That said, I'm talking a minuscule number of people - certainly not enough people to warrant developing hardware for. I think that a cart reader could potentially sell more VCS units. And, obviously, they could make a profit on each cart reader sold.

2 hours ago, rayik said:

Can't see them wanting to do that. Right now they are selling 7800 game roms in their store.  A cart ready means they loss those sales.  Even if it's low volume thst is money coming in to Atari at no cost  Versus cost of designing, making and selling a cart reader so that people can stop buying roms in their store.  As much as VCS cart owners would like this, can't see it benefiting Atari.

As long as the profit from the cart reader (including increased cartridge sales) is greater than the lost profit from reduced ROM sales, it is profitable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

It all depends on how much work there is developing a cart reader.

They are fairly simple, 70s tech, especially before any sorts of lockout schemes were developed,  so I would think they would just need to develop a USB controller for it.

I'm surprised such things don't already exist.

One reason they may not do it is it may be seen as a piracy-enabling device (as if those roms haven't been pirated for years)

56 minutes ago, zzip said:

But aren't those games already in one of the Atari Vault compilations on VCS?

Yeah, they are, but I think the people buying into these carts might be down for a cart reader anyway, as for us it will hopefully (if it wants to be successful) run any Atari carts, aka, the third party stuff Atari doesn't own. 

I also agree with the idea that it will actually be a 7800 cart reader that reads 2600 carts. I can't imagine they'd also do the 5200 or Jaguar, but wouldn't that be cool?

On 8/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, Atarick said:

Almost certainly a USB insertable cartridge reader. That, or a Windows on USB deal, but that would seem very niche within a niche. 

X2! Atari could conceivably capture and link multiple niche markets to the new VCS with a cart dumper like the Retron 77 but designed for all Atari system cartridge types.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:24 AM, swlovinist said:

If they made a cart reader that would be amazing.    

Atari marketing could call it the Game Brain for the VCS again :)    

VCS_multicart_reader_product_concept.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Yeah, they are, but I think the people buying into these carts might be down for a cart reader anyway, as for us it will hopefully (if it wants to be successful) run any Atari carts, aka, the third party stuff Atari doesn't own. 

I also agree with the idea that it will actually be a 7800 cart reader that reads 2600 carts. I can't imagine they'd also do the 5200 or Jaguar, but wouldn't that be cool?

The Digital Eclipse people said they had future plans for the Jag emulator.  But given how Atari doesn't usually chase down the rights to games they don't already have the rights to,  and it's hard to imagine someone else releasing an Atari Jaguar compilation without Atari's involvement.  Then using it in conjunction with a Jag cart reader would be interesting.

But keep in mind any cart reader hardware is speculative.   This thread is starting to read like it's a done deal.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, zzip said:

But keep in mind any cart reader hardware is speculative.   This thread is starting to read like it's a done deal.

LOL, I was starting to think that.

In terms of new VCS hardware, they could bring out an official branded keyboard/mouse etc. maybe some branded USB stick?  I cannot see them doing anything that requires much development or investment.  They can't even get their products to retail outside the US despite all their promises and excuses.

No offense to anyone, but I always find it a little hilarious when new hardware is announced and the collective response is "Oh boy, I sure hope it's the 5,000th iteration of something for us to play the game cartridges we've owned since 1986."

Are that many people just not using their 2600/7800/5200/A8s to necessitate a cart slot for these cartridges? I know, I know, "but they're getting rare and breaking," etc. etc.

I don't know about anyone else but I've played 2600 Pac Man enough on my 2600, and still play it on my 2600, to not get excited over being able to play 2600 Pac Man in a shinier, newer box.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:29 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

No offense to anyone, but I always find it a little hilarious when new hardware is announced and the collective response is "Oh boy, I sure hope it's the 5,000th iteration of something for us to play the game cartridges we've owned since 1986."

Are that many people just not using their 2600/7800/5200/A8s to necessitate a cart slot for these cartridges? I know, I know, "but they're getting rare and breaking," etc. etc.

I don't know about anyone else but I've played 2600 Pac Man enough on my 2600, and still play it on my 2600, to not get excited over being able to play 2600 Pac Man in a shinier, newer box.

On at least a hobbyist level, there is a demand for old carts to be played on new TV screens.    The Retron 77 was a good idea that fell short of expectations.   The purists are going to have their setup with their orginal hardware/CRTS and are fine with that.   

I hope this hardware is compatible with most (or all) of Atari’s past consoles. I certainly wouldn’t mind playing the Jaguar version of Primal Rage. I realize PR is a CD game, but maybe this new piece of hardware will be capable of reading/playing ISOs? I believe the Game Drive does this already. Come to think of it, I NEED to buy a Game Drive before they are gone forever.

Edited by ColecoGamer

On 8/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

I think the Atari Fightstick on Microcenter looks really neat, but it's not fully compatible with Atari's software offering on VCS (going by a YT video). Maybe they'll do their own that is fully compatible. 

Maybe a "pro" controller with a proper d-pad, headset jack (or built-in mic), USB C, and a capture button.

I have one and couldn't get it to be correctly recognized, though that was a few OS updates ago.

Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them.

Firstly, it cannot cost no more than $99, because we might spend a small fortune on hardware that requires an engineer and paleontologist to keep running, we may even waste $200 on a Lego 2600, but can you imagine anyone spending $299-$399 for a new Atari computer that plays old and new games and runs Windows etc?  What an insane idea!  😂

It needs to be grounded in reality, folks.  It has to accept all joysticks from all systems, even non-Atari ones, I don't want a console that doesn't accept 40 year old Atari joysticks and TRS-80 Coco analogue sticks at the same time in the same port!  It must be 128-bit, so it can play 8, 16, 32 and 64-bit games, with some extra bits left over for bitcoin mining.  Games should be virtual physical ones, download them in the box with a scratch-n-sniff panel on, that have smells associated with the game, and free NFTs included.  It must accept cartridges - c'mon, we NEED a universal cartridge port to accept anything ever made. I demand to play 2600 and Neo-Geo carts simultaneously along with PlayStation 5 and XBox stuff, no emulation, I'm a purist dammit!  I want every custom chip ever made to be reproduced in the smallest detail and squeezed into the box, no FPGA - that's just for lazy people who can't be bothered to fabricate their own silicon.  😡

We all know it has to play Jaguar games in 3D and have ST MIDI ports.  It must be include every Atari game ever made for any machine free and have future games given away free too.  It needs to be a home console, but can be picked up and used like a laptop.  It should also fold like a flip phone and fit in a pocket and play Lynx games.  It should be have Alexa built-in and on command transform into a small droid and do practical, useful things, like making martinis, cooking steaks and hacking nearby Imperial Star Destroyers.  🤔

It's all doable, the fact Atari haven't already brought this out shows that they are not really committed to the VCS long term and the company isn't real Atari anymore...  only Nolan's Atari was..  or... was it Time Warner..?  I dunno, I'm too old to care, but I do need a damn coffee and my VCS is just sitting there on the shelf mocking me and not in the kitchen doing it's job! 🤬

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Gunther said:

Likely a new, affordable, consolised VCS, and possibly 're-imagined' retro-controllers compatible with all ATARI hardware.

Not quite sure what that means 'consolised' as it pretty much already is.  Sure you can open it up and put in more storage, and or dual-boot it and use it as a computer.  But at it's heart, it's very much a console.  Now maybe that boards / tech are a little better, they can make a cheaper one, maybe if they strip out the m.2 SATA slot, it'd be cheaper. 

Not sure what a universal Atari controller would look like.  They have DB9, the 15pin 5200, the 15pin Jaguar... and I guess if you consider the flashbacks, USB... It's not like Atari is Apple and can get away with a hydra amount of dongles.

Edit: I thought I'd posted this before THX-1138's post, but apparently the submit button timed out :P

Edited by leech

6 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them.

Firstly, it cannot cost no more than $99, because we might spend a small fortune on hardware that requires an engineer and paleontologist to keep running, we may even waste $200 on a Lego 2600, but can you imagine anyone spending $299-$399 for a new Atari computer that plays old and new games and runs Windows etc?  What an insane idea!  😂

It needs to be grounded in reality, folks.  It has to accept all joysticks from all systems, even non-Atari ones, I don't want a console that doesn't accept 40 year old Atari joysticks and TRS-80 Coco analogue sticks at the same time in the same port!  It must be 128-bit, so it can play 8, 16, 32 and 64-bit games, with some extra bits left over for bitcoin mining.  Games should be virtual physical ones, download them in the box with a scratch-n-sniff panel on, that have smells associated with the game, and free NFTs included.  It must accept cartridges - c'mon, we NEED a universal cartridge port to accept anything ever made. I demand to play 2600 and Neo-Geo carts simultaneously along with PlayStation 5 and XBox stuff, no emulation, I'm a purist dammit!  I want every custom chip ever made to be reproduced in the smallest detail and squeezed into the box, no FPGA - that's just for lazy people who can't be bothered to fabricate their own silicon.  😡

We all know it has to play Jaguar games in 3D and have ST MIDI ports.  It must be include every Atari game ever made for any machine free and have future games given away free too.  It needs to be a home console, but can be picked up and used like a laptop.  It should also fold like a flip phone and fit in a pocket and play Lynx games.  It should be have Alexa built-in and on command transform into a small droid and do practical, useful things, like making martinis, cooking steaks and hacking nearby Imperial Star Destroyers.  🤔

It's all doable, the fact Atari haven't already brought this out shows that they are not really committed to the VCS long term and the company isn't real Atari anymore...  only Nolan's Atari was..  or... was it Time Warner..?  I dunno, I'm too old to care, but I do need a damn coffee and my VCS is just sitting there on the shelf mocking me and not in the kitchen doing it's job! 🤬

Take your meds...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Read the latest report - it mentions retro gaming for the new hardware...

For those who haven´t read the report, this is everything they say about new hardware:

1) Under FY22 Operational Highlights, one of the points says:

"Revised VCS go-to-market and development of a complementary hardware strategy"

2) Under Implementation of Turnaround Strategy, one of the categories is VCS and the relevant part of it says:

"Atari is actively developing new and complementary hardware that will expand and dramatically increase the core functionality of the VCS."

3) Under Strategy and Outlook, one of the categories is Hardware, and it says:

"Creating innovative and best-in-class hardware systems. Going forward hardware creation will be focused around industry subsets (e.g. retro gaming) where Atari has natural advantages and can establish a dominant market position;"

It is difficult to interpret what they are planning, but my interpretation is that they are developing something that can be hooked up to the VCS, but also something else (for example a new console). This thread is about the thing that can be hooked up to the VCS. If we are to speculate what the other thing is (if there is indeed another thing), I think we should do that in a different thread in a different forum.

Edited by Lord Mushroom
  • Like 2

I honestly can’t see Atari developing a new console especially when they can’t even release the VCS in Europe and the UK and with how poorly the VCS sells etc it just doesn’t make sense, unless its like one of those cheap flashback consoles or something like the Evercade VS that uses physical carts I could see that doing well and being very successful since you have the ability to collect and play physical carts again. I’ll be down for buying a new console anyway to support them if they plan to release one and I’ll also pick up whatever the device is that enhances the Atari VCS.