IGNORED

Atari developing hardware for VCS

Lord Mushroom

24 minutes ago, leech said:

Maybe it will be a Steam Deck but as an Atari VCS portable?

That'd be pretty cool, actually. I can't imagine them fronting the potential losses for another hardware project of that magnitude, though.

I'm hoping it's some sort of cool throwback controller, frankly. A Star Raiders Recharged with a custom control panel/thrust would be awesome.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

That'd be pretty cool, actually. I can't imagine them fronting the potential losses for another hardware project of that magnitude, though.

I'm hoping it's some sort of cool throwback controller, frankly. A Star Raiders Recharged with a custom control panel/thrust would be awesome.

Well think about this!  A Jag / 5200 controller with numeric pad for the games that inevitably could use it (like Star Raiders Recharged would)! 

What would be brilliant is if they could work with the community that is doing all the patching of JagDoom and officially release it for the VCS.  Then again that would probably require working with Microsoft...

But yeah, a controller to better support their other consoles via emulation would make a ton of sense.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also, if they wanted to make a killing:

1) Release the “Atari Retro,” which would be the end-all/be-all retro system with however many cartridge slots are needed to accommodate all past Atari systems/cartridges, including a CD slot for music CDs (along with that Atari music effects thing from the 70s) and Jaguar CD. Allow however many controller slots are needed to accommodate all of the original controllers. 4K compatibility with scaling technology. Full compatibility via Bluetooth with the VCS modern controller and VCS retro controller. Complete backwards compatibility with the past other than Lynx (see below). Continue to support the VCS by keeping the “Atari Retro” cartridge/CD-based only. Loyal VCS owners get first dibs on pre-orders, one per household, and they get it in real wood grain. After a certain amount of time, release it to those who do not own a VCS, but plastic/Vader-style only. 

2) Release a Lynx HD with a HD screen, long-lasting lithium battery, an online store including as much of the Lynx library as possible for $5/game, and a cartridge slot for those who own the originals (with proper scaling). Restrict the first run to loyal VCS owners. 

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 7:09 PM, leech said:

I have one and couldn't get it to be correctly recognized, though that was a few OS updates ago.

What do you think of the fight stick? It looks tempting.  I've watched a couple YT reviews and it seems fairly well built.  The side buttons and it's overall shape seem like it would be a nice setup for video pinball. It's also one of the few commercially-made USB controllers with a spinner. 

Edited by Tommy2D

On 8/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t know if you guys know this, but Atari said this about a week ago:

"Atari is actively developing new and complementary hardware that will expand and dramatically increase the core functionality of the VCS."

The only thing that will make me by one is a disc drive. Bluray compatibility a bonus. 

I originally though that was going to be the original plan for the VCS based on the vague information that was out. I thought Atari games on disc would be sitting net to Xbox and PlayStation games, but i realized that was silly to believe even for the short time I did. For one, this is Infogrames, second, the costs for actually competing in this industry even if you had limited retailer presence and did most of your sales through online retailers like BB and Amazon with your main site, would be beyond most companies finances. 

It's very likely the VCS isn't actually costing that much to produce and sell as is. At least from what we know.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Chinese Cake said:

The only thing that will make me by one is a disc drive. Bluray compatibility a bonus. 

It's already compatible with most PC USB peripherals,  so any off the shelf USB DVD/Bluray would work.   So I don't think that's it, unless they rebrand one with the Atari logo.

I think they were foreshadowing the Virtual Reality Glasses.

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/new-virtual-reality-headset-is-the-new-vcs-hardware-that-atari-was-talking-about.176561/

I have been watching what new Atari has been doing and this really ties into the new meta-verse stuff.  Atari is invested in the crypto sandbox space and this is a crossover type thing.  My guess.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

It's already compatible with most PC USB peripherals,  so any off the shelf USB DVD/Bluray would work.   So I don't think that's it, unless they rebrand one with the Atari logo.

Got to be build in, then Atari could sell their games in boxes in stores. Which is what they implied they were going to do when the VCS was first vaguely announced, but sadly that didn't happen and it's another digital PC box. 

• 2 months later...