IGNORED

Any 7800 game that involves using a non-projectile weapon?

Pac-Lander

Is there ANY game for the 7800 that involves using a non-projectile hand-held weapon to fight enemies?

So like, non-shooting attacks, just hand-to-hand combat weapons like a sword, axe, or anything similar.

It can be original run or homebrew. I feel like there has to be, but I can’t think of one!

Thanks in advance! ?

Commercial releases? Well, MARIO BROS. has Mario knocking frozen enemies with his own body. DONKEY KONG has a hammer. DONKEY KONG JR. has bucket you knock down on the cables to knock the biter things off, which isn't really a projectile as such. 

Homebrews? PENGO uses ice blocks, but I guess those could be considered projectiles sort of. POPEYE uses Popeye's fists when he eats spinach. KNIGHT GUY IN A LOW-RES WORLD: CATLE DAYS uses a sword.

I'm sure there are others.   

• Like 5

Wizard's Dungeon has the lightning spell, which is a melee weapon at the first three levels of power (level 4 it shoots). In earlier versions of the game that was a sword, but I didn't like the animation and  it didn't fit as well with the wizard theme.

Beef Drop's pepper is basically a melee attack.

Joust sort of fits, too.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Joust sort of fits, too.

It very much fits - you're fighting with lances! And I'm horribly embarrassed that I forgot about it in my own reply, because it's only one of my favorite games of all kinds on any platform. Worse, I've bragged to people for years that the 7800 version is the most arcade-accurate of any vintage home release. #Doh

• Like 3

On 8/3/2022 at 4:26 PM, Trebor said:

You mean, "Game like Gauntlet, but with no projectile weapons?"

"Melee Attack" would be the typical terminology and it exists in Double Dragon for parts of the game.

Graze Suit Alpha would be close to Melee Attack mechanics, but not quite the same.

Yeah in that other thread the question was a bit more broad, and not specific to the 7800. But yeah, it's also for game mechanic research.

I think Double Dragon and the Knight Guy games might be the closest to what I had in mind. Thanks!

On 8/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, Pac-Lander said:
Is there ANY game for the 7800 that involves using a non-projectile hand-held weapon to fight enemies?

So like, non-shooting attacks, just hand-to-hand combat weapons like a sword, axe, or anything similar.

It can be original run or homebrew. I feel like there has to be, but I can’t think of one!

Thanks in advance! ?

It's Conner Time! will have the fire-flower, but don't be mistaken, it's not something you can shoot fireballs with.

Instead, using "Coins" (Will be Power Points), you can do a slash attack at the cost of a Coin. It also makes your boomerang kill enemies instead of just stunning them.

They will be found in 1-2, 2-1, and any further levels.

An ice variant will also be available, but instead of killing enemies, you freeze them, and can ride the blocks in water.