IGNORED

Nintendo clearly decieved us with their starfox box art

Nintendo clearly DECIEVED us withtheir starfox box art because on thebox art you clearly do see full screen size images of the game whereas in reality it’s just viewed in a smaller window size, that’s because the snes can only stream 200x160 pxels at 30fps  and the super fx chip only streams rendered graphics at approximately 190x160 pixels at 15fps wich also explaines whytheres input lag in the game and on pal sneses it’s even worse,

Argonaut amoung other thirt party publishers with their snes fx chip game were guilty of this either too,

am amezed that starfox sold 4,5 million copies despites these issues but i guess it was one of the first ever polygonal first person space shooters,

BUT Nintendo just should,ve used a more powerful fx chip to ran it smoother on snes, they also could,ve use the SA1 chip instead and run it at 30fps and at full resolution,
Look at the SA1 patched hard driving for snes,it runs at full resolution at 30fps.

It’s just odd

that the heavely high promoted super fx chip can only stream approx 190x160 pixels at 15fps trough the sneses DMA channel,while the SA1 chip cannot only serve as a main snes cpu of the snes to take over it, but it can also do rendering polygons trough software at 256x240 pixels at 30fps trough the snes vram instead as well,

so just imagine if most fx games getting ported to the SA1 chip instead to run at full resolution and at 30fps,now that would be great,

yoshi’s island is already perfect so it needs no port BUT it would be cool to force the fx chip beyond it’s 2MB limit to add the missing content from the GBA version in it,

for snes doom,i want to see the engine getting fully used and upgraded and add all missing things from the pc version back in and it should run on the ST018 chip instead since it beats both even the fx2 chip and SA1 chip in performances,

but those other fx games do need a SA1 upgrade also because being able to play them more smoothly

6A69E668-8AE1-4E38-89FF-FB8D4924125F.jpeg

578F2B5D-B910-4FA8-91C0-05FB2A09B383.jpeg

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, johannesmutlu said:

BUT Nintendo just should,ve used a more powerful fx chip to ran it smoother on snes, they also could,ve use the SA1 chip instead and run it at 30fps and at full resolution,

It cost sixty bucks. Did you want it to come out 2 years later? Or maybe cost $100 like Virtua Racing on the Genesis? Old time-CRTs could be adjusted so the letterboxing disappeared. 

I still have my StarFox trucker hat, that's how cool I am. No Bubsy t-shirt though. 

EB_1993_03_001.jpg

28 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It cost sixty bucks. Did you want it to come out 2 years later? Or maybe cost $100 like Virtua Racing on the Genesis? Old time-CRTs could be adjusted so the letterboxing disappeared. 

I still have my StarFox trucker hat, that's how cool I am. No Bubsy t-shirt though. 

EB_1993_03_001.jpg

Wellp that poster looks pretty Cool,it looks even cooler then the coverart of the game itself?

on you question, well i rather get a game 2 years later and being more expensive then getting it too early at a lower price with lots of bugs & slowdowns in it along with horrible sluggisch & slow controls,

sure nowadays it’s no problem because you can just download a game digitally and wait for new updates along the way,but back then or they had to come with a call back order or they had to come with new revisions of the game.

i personally do like virtua racing on the sega genesis much better then stunts race fx because you got a full screen size and you do got smooth controls,yes sure virtua racing costed $100 as opposed to $60 for stunt race fx,BUT it’s well worth it and it proves that a faster & better chip(the svp chip) could make a difference between winning or lose,why nintendo just didn’t tweaked the speed of the fx chip for a smoother control is just beyond me since otherwise good & smooth controls were alway’s nintendo’s biggest priority,mmm.

Edited by johannesmutlu

Seriously, for a time I wondered if it was a language thing, but what is wrong with you?  There's nothing deceitful about the screen shots, they interpret the game as it should.  Obviously the black space is cropped, it would look terribly weird on a black box, like a printing mess up.  It doesn't deceive, the shots are of play in the game, the shipped game.  Quite a few in the 80s and some 90s did have beta images, removed content, etc.

You know what was deceptive?  Not having chuck e cheese level of anthropomorphic animals in real clothes flying those ships and just some like 2 frame still heads with flapping mouths.  Quick get a lawyer!

I'm guessing you perhaps since you deviated into ripping on the FX1 for not being good enough, don't really have a clue what it does and why it was used?  The SA1 and FX have little in common other than I believe a bit of a memory footprint, and the fact it's an expansion chip.  Flojo is right, you're nuts, and so is beefy there because wow why are you not losing your mind about Phalanx??  Guess what, it's not a hillbilly simulator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seriously, for a time I wondered if it was a language thing, but what is wrong with you?  There's nothing deceitful about the screen shots, they interpret the game as it should.  Obviously the black space is cropped, it would look terribly weird on a black box, like a printing mess up.  It doesn't deceive, the shots are of play in the game, the shipped game.  Quite a few in the 80s and some 90s did have beta images, removed content, etc.

You know what was deceptive?  Not having chuck e cheese level of anthropomorphic animals in real clothes flying those ships and just some like 2 frame still heads with flapping mouths.  Quick get a lawyer!

I'm guessing you perhaps since you deviated into ripping on the FX1 for not being good enough, don't really have a clue what it does and why it was used?  The SA1 and FX have little in common other than I believe a bit of a memory footprint, and the fact it's an expansion chip.  Flojo is right, you're nuts, and so is beefy there because wow why are you not losing your mind about Phalanx??  Guess what, it's not a hillbilly simulator.

I love the cover for that game. It is so WTH. ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

well i rather get a game 2 years later and being more expensive then getting it too early at a lower price with lots of bugs & slowdowns in it along with horrible sluggisch & slow controls,

That's the reasoning of an adult, though. I was a teen when the game was released, and 2 years for a teen (let alone a kid) is a big deal. 2 years later the PlayStation and the Saturn were already out.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Nintendo clearly DECIEVED us withtheir starfox box art because on thebox art you clearly do see full screen size images of the game whereas in reality it’s just viewed in a smaller window size, that’s because the snes can only stream 200x160 pxels at 30fps  and the super fx chip only streams rendered graphics at approximately 190x160 pixels at 15fps wich also explaines whytheres input lag in the game and on pal sneses it’s even worse,

Argonaut amoung other thirt party publishers with their snes fx chip game were guilty of this either too,

am amezed that starfox sold 4,5 million copies despites these issues but i guess it was one of the first ever polygonal first person space shooters,

Look at the SA1 patched hard driving for snes,it runs at full resolution at 30fps.

It’s just odd

that the heavely high promoted super fx chip can only stream approx 190x160 pixels at 15fps trough the sneses DMA channel,while the SA1 chip cannot only serve as a main snes cpu of the snes to take over it, but it can also do rendering polygons trough software at 256x240 pixels at 30fps trough the snes vram instead as well,

so just imagine if most fx games getting ported to the SA1 chip instead to run at full resolution and at 30fps,now that would be great,

yoshi’s island is already perfect so it needs no port BUT it would be cool to force the fx chip beyond it’s 2MB limit to add the missing content from the GBA version in it,

for snes doom,i want to see the engine getting fully used and upgraded and add all missing things from the pc version back in and it should run on the ST018 chip instead since it beats both even the fx2 chip and SA1 chip in performances,

but those other fx games do need a SA1 upgrade also because being able to play them more smoothly

6A69E668-8AE1-4E38-89FF-FB8D4924125F.jpeg

578F2B5D-B910-4FA8-91C0-05FB2A09B383.jpeg

I can only assume you never experienced buying 8-bit computer games in the UK then?. 

It was commonplace for the publishers to use screenshots from superior looking versions to the one you were actually buying, in order to sell the game. 

I'm really not sure about where your going with using a more powerful maths chip (and in a later post, talking about waiting another 2 years, but getting a better gam3) , Argonaut spent  something like 2 years developing the original FX chip as it was.. 

Starfox was what Jez San described as the test game for the FX chip... 

Starfox 2 was to use the FX2 chip and as Shigeru Miyamoto explained, the FX2 chip had double the memory,pmaking the cost of the game prohibitive,  the timing of the release would of been awkward, being so late in the platforms life, they decided to cancel it and started from scratch with a new Star Fox game for Nintendo 64.

You can find early interviews with Jez San hyping the very backside off the FX chip and him expecting it to be embraced by SNES development teams for all manner of titles, within a few years, but publishers baulked at the idea as it pushed SNES game prices up far too much. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seriously, for a time I wondered if it was a language thing, but what is wrong with you?

I used to get mad about the "what if / we wuz robbed" threads, especially seeing as they look and quite possibly are made by the same person (yes, hello Frozone/LeeroyST/Bubsy/OP/etc), but tbh it doesn't really matter, as long as people here don't take them too seriously and they're not being turboposted. They do provide some occasional comedy relief so, yeah, bring on the next IT'S A MIRACLE !!11! moment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, Lostdragon said:

I can only assume you never experienced buying 8-bit computer games in the UK then?. 

It was commonplace for the publishers to use screenshots from superior looking versions to the one you were actually buying, in order to sell the game. 

I'm really not sure about where your going with using a more powerful maths chip (and in a later post, talking about waiting another 2 years, but getting a better gam3) , Argonaut spent  something like 2 years developing the original FX chip as it was.. 

Starfox was what Jez San described as the test game for the FX chip... 

Starfox 2 was to use the FX2 chip and as Shigeru Miyamoto explained, the FX2 chip had double the memory,pmaking the cost of the game prohibitive,  the timing of the release would of been awkward, being so late in the platforms life, they decided to cancel it and started from scratch with a new Star Fox game for Nintendo 64.

You can find early interviews with Jez San hyping the very backside off the FX chip and him expecting it to be embraced by SNES development teams for all manner of titles, within a few years, but publishers baulked at the idea as it pushed SNES game prices up far too much. 

Well i did watched those video’s from jez san about the super fx chip and yes it’s true that the story of the super fx chip is impressive,starfox is an oke game for it with cool cut scenes and intense gameplay

but that’s it,

well i did heard that for instance a C64 version of street fighter 2 just contained screen shots from the arcade version of the game on ghe back of it’s coverart,

once i realize that i was like “trough what how could they lie to us” well i hope this practice did backfire those game companies in that hopefully many angry gamers did return their copy of the game to teach those game companies a lesson,but if they didn’t returned those copies well they should,ve used a court against those companies for false advertising,

am mean just imagine if atari did this to their atari 2600 verrsion of pacman( using screen shots from the arcade version instead)

Well i garantee that that would,ve turned those gamers to be a million times more angry to atari then it actually did,it may would,ve cause the demise of atari way too early,

BTW i remember sawing screen shots from donkeykong country 2 in the manual of donkeykong land 2 and sawing screen shots of donkeykong country 3 in the manual of donkeykong land 3,wich did felt like to be misleaded as i later would found out later on  once i played those games back in 2000,

BUT i suppose these were accidental miss prints of it?

Had the 32x caught on, it was a more economical way of adding an additional processor to the Genesis. Instead of buying a coprocessor for each game, you buy it once and pass on the savings to the customers. Unfortunately the high price tag of the system $160, and games $70, and likely general mismanagement and infighting between Sega USA/Japan caused its downfall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CapitanClassic said:

Had the 32x caught on, it was a more economical way of adding an additional processor to the Genesis. Instead of buying a coprocessor for each game, you buy it once and pass on the savings to the customers. Unfortunately the high price tag of the system $160, and games $70, and likely general mismanagement and infighting between Sega USA/Japan caused its downfall.

That,  coupled with the fact it didn't work.  (Personal Experience):  I should say,  the one I bought didn't work.  Plus, since it didn't just plug and play like a cart (like it SHOULD have), but had squirrely and ineffective, nonfunctional metal paper clip bracket thingies that were supposed to make it work (on a Model 2)...The thing had REFUND written all over it.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 1:41 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

It's a miracle that I can't believe it's not butter!

You know what’s also a miracle ? That world war 3 didn’t had started yet because how many times we were sooo close it to happen,oh boy,but thank god it still just didn’t happen and that’s why we still could playing games + games from our childhook,hahaaaa????