IGNORED

trakball cx22, what is it for?

ulao

I read something rather disturbing.

However the only games in existence on either the 2600 or 7800 that will take advatage of the "true trak-ball" mode are hacks.

now maybe I'm taking this out of context here but this reads this way to me... No games support the cx22 in trakball mode on the 2600.

If this is a true statement, then who at atari was hitting the pipe? you just what, make a trakball mode for the fun of it? OH hey guys look here, I made a trakball mode but no game will ever use it...Surly I'm missing something?

From this thread, the short and sweet answer:

The CX22 Pro-Line was first released and labeled Atari 2600 Trak-Ball with the bottom part dark like the top and outputs joystick [mode] only.

Then it [was] released with the white bottom, added a switch for Joystick mode / Trak-Ball mode, dropped 2600 labeling, as it can be used on Atari 8-[bit] computers also.

The CX80 Trak-Ball matched the 8-bit Atari XL computer design. Its button design works much better than the CX22. It still retains the JS/TB modes selected by a switch.

Only a late version of 8-bit Atari Missile Command used the real Trak-Ball mode output, ending up built into the XEGS 8-bit computer game combo console released in 1986.

In-depth discussions:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ulao said:

now maybe I'm taking this out of context here but this reads this way to me... No games support the cx22 in trakball mode on the 2600.

If this is a true statement, then who at atari was hitting the pipe? you just what, make a trakball mode for the fun of it? OH hey guys look here, I made a trakball mode but no game will ever use it...Surly I'm missing something?

Hold on... There was a freaking TRACK BALL for the 2600?!?! OMG!

ok, so maybe another question here, anyone know how this thing works? It looks like it sends encoded signals to the left and right directions.

found some info here

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari-CX22-Trakball-Field-Service-Manual.pdf

in one of the modes

up is direction and down is the motion. ( like wise for left right) not sure what mode this is for but it help what to look for.

Edited by ulao

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 7:14 PM, ulao said:

You are missing something.  The 1983 North American Video Game Industry Crash.

Dan Kramer intended for there to be games on the 2600 that had native Trak-Ball support in them just as there are plenty on the 5200 for his CX53 controller. The Crash caused many plans to be scrapped or delayed as Atari Inc fought to keep itself from going down the drain and for the employees to keep their jobs or quickly find work elsewhere.

Now, what can you do with a CX22 or CX80 in relation to the 7800?  Buy 7800 Centipede-TB in the AtariAge Store. Pick up a 2nd CX22 or CX80 along with a friend and enjoy 2-player co-op mode in it.