IGNORED

Ultima III Gold on C64 mini

Try downloading from here https://csdb.dk/release/?id=187483

Scroll down a little bit on the page to find the .zip to download.  Then, when you unzip it, try running the D81 file on your C64Mini.

Update: Ooops, sorry, bud... that link was for Ultima V not III Gold.  And, like you, the III Gold stops on my C64Mini, too.  I've tried adding the flags, _TPAD to the file name, but that didn't seem to work, either.  Not sure what the problem is there.

Edited by Virtualsky
corrections

Yeah, sorry about that.  I wasn't reading the thread close enough and went to Ultima V not III Gold.  And, like you, the III Gold stops on my C64Mini, too.  I've tried adding the flags, _TPAD to the file name, but that didn't seem to work, either.  Not sure what the problem is there.

Thankx, though I did find a rom hack for the NES release that seems to make it the ultimate way to play Ultima III, with C64 sound track to boot!! I too wonder why the C64 mini won't play U3 Gold. Tis a shame. 

Ultima: Exodus Remastered

I will how ever be using the C64 update to 4 and 5 as my definitive way to play through them, assuming the C64 mini handles them, which it seems to do. 

Edited by EldritchPenumbra
  • Like 1

After upgrading to firmware 1.6.1, I experimented with the various permutations of _AD, _TPAD, not modified, and the Mini's fast-loader on and off.

In short, _AD with the Mini's fast-loader turned off works.  It is slow to load initially because, well, accurate drive mode.  I have not gotten past organizing a party as the physical configuration I am using makes this process difficult.

Oh!  Also, _AD with the fast-loader on is working.  Again, it is just slow at the initial load.  But, the system is detected as "NTSC C64 #8 1541", which is pretty much expected.