IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 5 - Missile Defense 3-D

BydoEmpire

Those those 3D glasses out!  Based on suggestions from you, we're shooting in the 3rd dimension with Missile Defense 3-D.

Bonus Point: play either Zaxxon 3-D or Global Defense.  I wanted to make sure there was a non-3D game to at least get a point.

This round runs August 8th - 21st.

81VLm-+JC-L._SL1500_.jpg

Current Totals for this round:

1. jeremiahjt 171,750 (+1)
  2. Razzie.P 127,300 (+1)
  3. fakecortex 123,600 (+1)
  4. Asaki 101,900 (+1)
  5. pboland 50,100 (+1)
  6. dashopepper 43650 (+1)
  7. BydoEmpire 1,250 (+1)

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

Anaglyph -is- stereoscopic... :?

The red/blue like you said is anaglyph. A video game example that used those glasses is Rad Racer on NES. But the SMS used stereoscopic, which doesn't change the colors at all. That, and the glasses plug into the system in order to receive frame rate signals. The effect is something Rad Racer never pulled off, haha. That's about where my knowledge ends, b/c I have no idea if an emulator and modern display could replicate that. I've created some anaglyph video in college, which was super cool, but the colors mess things up a bit.

Edited by fakecortex
typo

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

But the SMS used stereoscopic, which doesn't change the colors at all.

I get what you're trying to say, but anaglyph is still a form of stereoscope ;)
Also, I could be wrong, but I think the Famicom version of Rad Racer supports shutter glasses 3D?

But I can't afford either of those setups, so I have to improvise with these glasses that came with Friday the 13th: Part 3-D

Anyway, the red/cyan 3D on this emulator is really good, even without recalibrating my monitor. But it doesn't seem like it supports the Phaser at all. It barely even supports gamepad/keyboard, I can't find any options for changing...anything, really. Bummer.

It was nice to look at that rolling demo.

Guess I'm playing it in 2D. Or adding Phaser support to one of these emulators. Which I'm probably not going to do.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I get what you're trying to say, but anaglyph is still a form of stereoscope ;)
Also, I could be wrong, but I think the Famicom version of Rad Racer supports shutter glasses 3D?

But I can't afford either of those setups, so I have to improvise with these glasses that came with Friday the 13th: Part 3-D

1) hmm, I gotta read up on 3D. There’s gotta be another term that means what we’re dealin’ with here...

Update: ok looks like the term is active shutter 3D. Man, been walking around this entire time with the wrong word ?

2) That sounds familiar about the Famicom. Neat. Wonder how it compares. 

3) Awesome flick :cool:

Edited by fakecortex
Update to 1)

I played a couple games of Global Defense last night for the bonus point. I kind of like it despite the weird control. Not a game I've put much time into.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5d6f9f80c8855ce90c63376ed391b91.jpeg

I also got an SMS emulator set up and played a game of Missile Defense, I'll have to post that later. No 3D and no light gun in the emulator, so I'm not going to be #1, but a score is a score.

Incidentally, I was using GearSystem. I didn't find a "use mouse as light gun" option anywhere, but if anyone knows do tell.  I also couldn't get it to recognize my game pad, but that's fine.  Otherwise i'll try out  https://segaretro.org/Dega.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

My bonus point:
693507548_Zaxxon_3D_(UE)_!_001.png.8080d9c281401704034140ead4f4c0c1.png

Never played this game before, it's pretty neat. The 3D is definitely a bit barfy after a while, though.

2D mode takes some adjusting to get used to.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:17 PM, fakecortex said:

3) Awesome flick :cool:

lol, it's kind of bad. Haven't watched it in 3D yet.
Part IV is way better, and then Part V is kind of bad again.

23 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Incidentally, I was using GearSystem. I didn't find a "use mouse as light gun" option anywhere, but if anyone knows do tell.  I also couldn't get it to recognize my game pad, but that's fine.  Otherwise i'll try out  https://segaretro.org/Dega.

I've been using KEGA Fusion for years now, it's great. Supports SMS, GG, SG-1000, 32X, Genesis, CD, etc.

As far as I can tell, Dega doesn't support the Phaser, but maybe I just don't see the option.

One of the emulators on the DS supports anaglyph 3D, but I don't think either one supports the Phaser.

I can't find any options for 3D support/disable on KEGA.
I found two different hacks for 2D mode in Missile Defense, but one disables everything but the missiles, and the other one just halves the frames, so the game runs at 2x speed.

I haven't checked the Wii emulators yet, but I'm pretty sure they don't have any 3D support at all.

I think I'm going to go with jiggly missiles, it's at least better than the whole screen jiggling:https://www.smspower.org/forums/12433-WantedAFewRomsHacks#61830

(change ROM address 0x1282 from CE to C3)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

New pb! By like 300pts but still haha. I wish they had a round counter bc I keep forgetting how far I get, but I think I saved the city directly after the midway screen. When missiles come raining down on the space screen, I’m having a real hard time getting them. At least I’m lookin’ stylish while doing it 😎 

MD3D - 123,600

EC09FF77-2B1F-42D5-9693-3211DB29C89C.thumb.jpeg.5450f68e68554ec08c275998947757f1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Wut. How? Do you get points for missiles crashing into you? Haha...

No idea. I actually tried on Dega and managed to get 1,000 points - combination of random clicking the mouse button (which I don't think it recognizes as input, though it'd be convenient for light gun games if it did) and pressing buttons on my controller. 

• Haha 1

Wow! I'm just not feeling it this weekend. My scores stink. I'm using original equipment  (system, 3D glasses, light phaser) and a multi-cart with roms (generic everdrive cart). All game played in 3D mode. Normally I can get in the 50,000 range with Zaxxon 3D, but not this weekend. I know I've gotten close to 90,000+ on Missile defense, but again not this weekend. :(  If I get time I will try again, but for now these are my official scores:

Missile Defense 3-D = 50,100

Zaxxon 3-D = 36,700

MissleD3D.thumb.jpg.3c13f32fab5213d5ef7ade68d9d21fe8.jpg

Zaxxon3D.thumb.jpg.9537f538a877801822e2063510392d09.jpg

• Like 2

For Missile Defense 3-D I got 123,250 and for Zaxxon 3-D I got 30,900.  Both played on real hardware of course, and Zaxxon 3-D played in 3-D mode.  I wish we would have played Missile Defense 3-D about four weeks ago as I was playing it a bunch and had better scores.  Hopefully I can improve upon it before the week is out.

• Like 2