IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

Well, I've looked into this a bit and don't have good news.  When I exported the database for Invision to import on their server, it was not with the correct character set, which apparently needed to be utf8mb4 in order to preserve the emojis.  Unfortunately, I was not told at the time I needed to do this, and I had no idea this was going to cause all that emoji data to be lost.

I don't know if this was the cause previously, but the "great emoji barf" happened in a previous update several years ago, too. Many of my old blog entries and comments had their emojis replaced with a generic smiley one. Consequently, there are a lot of responses that no longer make sense in context. :roll:  That update also hosed a ton of formatting in my blogs, some of which I still haven't cleaned up.

I started to go through the Wayback Machine and see if I could determine which emojis used to be there, but didn't have much luck.

6 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I don't know if this was the cause previously, but the "great emoji barf" happened in a previous update several years ago, too. Many of my old blog entries and comments had their emojis replaced with a generic smiley one. Consequently, there are a lot of responses that no longer make sense in context. :roll:  That update also hosed a ton of formatting in my blogs, some of which I still haven't cleaned up.

Yeah, I confirmed with Invision that there was some sort of conversion done when I went from 3.x to 4.x of the software.  This is when the emojis were added, versus the legacy emoticons (which are still available).  Poor data conversion really pisses me off.  For a while I was working at a company that wrote ambulatory surgical center software.  One of my jobs was working on data conversions from some other software to our software, and it was absolutely critical that everything be converted properly (medical data, you know).  It was a challenging, but rewarding process.  I've also had to convert the forum twice to new software, first from UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) then to phpBB, and then to Invision back in the mid 2000s.  On more than one occasion I had to write custom scripts to import and/or massage data that the company's stock convertors ignored or did a poor job with. 

This current forum software is fairly complex and has a lot of moving parts, and I certainly don't understand it all fully under the hood.  I certainly wish more care was taken to make sure all data is properly preserved when there are major software updates that require user content to be updated in some fashion.

6 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I started to go through the Wayback Machine and see if I could determine which emojis used to be there, but didn't have much luck.

That sounds like fun.

..Al

On 8/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, Mitch said:

It only happened the one day but it happened several different times during the day. I am assuming Invision was doing maintenance that day.

Mitch

It just happened again about ten minutes ago for me. I also notice that opening the threads is slow. The menu seems fine.

Mitch

6 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It just happened again about ten minutes ago for me. I also notice that opening the threads is slow. The menu seems fine.

This depends entirely on the thread.  I think large threads take longer to load.  If there are specific threads that are loading excessively slowly, please post links to them here.  I'll make a list of such threads and I can then point Invision at them to see what they can do to improve performance.  This was a problem on the old server as well.  Some things will speed up tremendously once I get Elasticsearch installed on the forum again (anything search-related, including all the "Activity" streams). 

..Al

3 minutes ago, Mitch said:

The forum just went down for me again. It was down for about a minute.

I finally saw that message for the first time myself, it was about two minutes for me, as I was actively using the forum at the time.  I imagine this affects ALL forums running on Invision's cloud service, and I'm sure they only do this when they need to, but I am going to ask them about it.

..Al

14 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't suppose there's an option to get rid of the "Expand" when reading a lengthy quote. Instead just display everything like it used to be.

I see this as an improvement over the old version.  It's so much nicer seeing a "collapsed" version of quoted text (with the option to expand) instead a wall of quoted text.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert said:

This depends entirely on the thread.  I think large threads take longer to load.  If there are specific threads that are loading excessively slowly, please post links to them here.  I'll make a list of such threads and I can then point Invision at them to see what they can do to improve performance.  This was a problem on the old server as well.  Some things will speed up tremendously once I get Elasticsearch installed on the forum again (anything search-related, including all the "Activity" streams). 

..Al

The "random images" thread (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/276324-post-a-random-pic-thread) is slow to open, but I assume that is out of your control, as most likely it's the insane amount of remotely hosted images causing the issue.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The "random images" thread (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/276324-post-a-random-pic-thread) is slow to open, but I assume that is out of your control, as most likely it's the insane amount of remotely hosted images causing the issue.

That's definitely one of the threads I'm going to ask them about. The images shouldn't matter, as those should load after the page itself is displayed.  I think it's the length of a thread that slows down loading for some reason.  Threads with hundreds or thousands of pages seem to take the longest to load, irrespective of content. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, splendidnut said:

I see this as an improvement over the old version.  It's so much nicer seeing a "collapsed" version of quoted text (with the option to expand) instead a wall of quoted text.

Yes, this is one of the features I am also appreciative of. 

16 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't suppose there's an option to get rid of the "Expand" when reading a lengthy quote. Instead just display everything like it used to be.

No, there are no settings for that feature at all. 

..Al

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Yeah, Invision gave me also a 504 earlier today.  Thought it had to do with the weather. 

I've seen it twice today.  I've asked them the significance of this, how often I can expect it to happen, and if when we see this if it's only this forum or if all their forums are offline in a similar fashion.  If it's just AA, then they obviously have an issue on their end they need to address and I will work with them to solve it.

..Al

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Sorry if this has been resolved or a reason given (hard to keep track of everything).  Regarding the numbers being added to forum attachments, here's 2 new examples:

Thanks for the additional examples.  I've spent some time looking at this, and I haven't seen any pattern as to when it adds the random numeric prefix and when it doesn't.  I have an open ticket with Invision over this, and their advanced tech support team is looking into it. Hope to have an answer soon. It's annoying as hell to me, as anytime it happens I have to rename the file.  All the spaces are also removed from filenames when this happens.

..Al

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

Saw these a number of times today. Stopped around 7 or so CST.

I received an answer from Invision about this earlier today:

"Apologizes for the inconvenience of the 504 and community unavailable errors. An issue yesterday was identified and resolved by our cloud engineers during which temporary offline incidents may have be encountered."

I will be watching to see if this happens again.  If anyone else here sees this, please respond and let me know what time it happened and how long you saw this "The community is temporarily down" message.

Thanks!

..Al

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjherr said:

I seem to have stopped getting mail notifications completely.

Please check your spam folder. It's not uncommon for services like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., to mark emails coming from the forum as spam.  Outside of that, please take a look at your Notification Settings to make sure the notifications you're interested in are actually enabled for email.  If neither of those prove fruitful, please let me know and I can investigate further.

Thanks!

..Al

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Sorry if this has been resolved or a reason given (hard to keep track of everything).  Regarding the numbers being added to forum attachments, here's 2 new examples:

Just heard from Invision on this, they have identified the issue and are testing a fix for it that will be included in a future version (4.7.3, which would probably be about a month away).  I asked if they can apply a patch to the forum once confirmed so we don't have to wait another month for the fix, but not sure they will be willing to do that.  But at least I know it will be fixed relatively soon one way or another.

..Al

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

Please check your spam folder. It's not uncommon for services like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., to mark emails coming from the forum as spam.  Outside of that, please take a look at your Notification Settings to make sure the notifications you're interested in are actually enabled for email.  If neither of those prove fruitful, please let me know and I can investigate further.

Thanks!

..Al

I haven't seen anything in my spam folder, my notification settings are set to 'email' and my followed content is set to 'immediate notification'.

-Chris