IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

On occasion I still get a double-email saying a new post has been added to a followed thread. Identical emails it seems, slightly different time-stamp by a few minutes at most.

The new post is of course valid and recent.

I had this issue a long time ago (5 yrs?) for a short while. Magically went away.

Edited by Keatah

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And a new bug: Ignored posts do not show anymore, but if they contain a video, it starts automatically (no video, but sound). Took me quite a while to find and stop the noise.

Of course it does, lol.  I'll add that to the pile.  Thank you for the report, that's certainly an interesting one.

..Al

How’s THIS for a “relevant” complaint about Invision and the updated forum?

I post messages and scans through the AA Messenger using an old Compaq Presario running Windows XP (2002 edition) and my browser is the no-longer-supported Firefox ESR. 

Attempts to submit replies or edits are greeted with a text box (presumably) that is simply a blue-outlined blank-box graphic, unresponsive as a communications interface.

Am I expecting too much for the Forum to be compatible with a browser last updated in 2018? For reference (if anyone cares), it is the 32-bit version 52.9.0.

Please advise.

(Telling me to get in the 21st century will NOT be considered helpful. Scans of my entire 41-year-old collection are on this machine, which runs like a finely-tuned race car, albeit a slow one.)

1 minute ago, bfstats said:

How’s THIS for a “relevant” complaint about Invision and the updated forum?

I post messages and scans through the AA Messenger using an old Compaq Presario running Windows XP (2002 edition) and my browser is the no-longer-supported Firefox ESR. 

Attempts to submit replies or edits are greeted with a text box (presumably) that is simply a blue-outlined blank-box graphic, unresponsive as a communications interface.

Am I expecting too much for the Forum to be compatible with a browser last updated in 2018? For reference (if anyone cares), it is the 32-bit version 52.9.0.

Please advise.

(Telling me to get in the 21st century will NOT be considered helpful. Scans of my entire 41-year-old collection are on this machine, which runs like a finely-tuned race car, albeit a slow one.)

I'd need to install this myself on a machine and try it out, I do have a version of XP running in a VM that I use for old device programmers, although I'm not sure I even have that VM connected to the internet.  But I can open it up briefly to try that out.  Sounds like Javascript may not be enabled, as that would cause the "plain" text editor to appear, although that would not explain why it's unresponsive.  Even though the ESR browser is from 2018, I'm guessing it wasn't really current at the time relative to the non-ESR versions of Firefox from the same time. 

Continuing to use XP in this day and age on the internet kind of surprises me.  Is AtariAge the only website you frequent on this machine? 

..Al

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bfstats said:

Well if you're using a browser last updated in 2018 on an OS last updated in 2019, then clearly you've at least made it to the 21st century.  Now we just have to work on getting you into this decade. :)

I actually do sympathize.  Up until last year I kept a Win2K box around because it had all my audio/video capture hardware and software that had taken me literally years to fine-tune and become happy with.  I later decided after nearly 20 years maybe it was time to finally make some changes, and so after doing some research and weighing the options... I kept all the same hardware and bumped the OS to WinXP!

I haven't had much experience with them myself, but I know some people still try to port modern-ish browsers to XP now and then.  There is a version of Serpent, the "unbranded" name of the Basilisk web browser, available for XP.  Maybe give that one a shot, or see what other options might be available?

17 minutes ago, bfstats said:

IMO: Yes, yes, yes. 

The web is dynamic and each backward compatibility requirement is slowing down this dynamic. That's why browsers get updated extremely frequently and backward compatibility is limited to a reasonable amount.

BTW: Is there any reason why you stick to that old Compaq. And to XP, which has become completely unsafe for years now?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Is there any reason why you stick to that old Compaq. And to XP, which has become completely unsafe for years now?

He has his reasons, and I have mine, as mentioned.  If you know the risks and you keep the system behind a decent firewall, you can still manage.

I agree you shouldn't expect web code to remain compatible with older and unsupported browsers, but there is still a chance of getting something that understands the modern code running on older hardware.  I mean heck, if we can get a Commodore 64 browsing the modern web, surely we can get a WinXP box to do so!

21 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

I mean heck, if we can get a Commodore 64 browsing the modern web, surely we can get a WinXP box to do so!

I strongly doubt that the C64 can correctly render any even remotely modern website. Not even talking about all the other stuff (e.g. heavy scripting) which is common in a modern website.

Why should 1000s hours of development be invested into long deprecated hard- and software? 

BTW: My main PC is from 2012 (= 10 years old) and it runs Win 10 and modern browsers just fine.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Gentlemen!

Your responses and questions about using an older OS and browser in this Forum are valid and much appreciated.

To FujiSkunk and Thomas, my reasons for sticking with hardware AND software from 2018 has everything to do with its usefulness BECAUSE it's old. This is a dual-boot PC, and the other bootable OS is Windows 98, which is required to run Eckhard Stolberg's 1999 ROM-dumping software. A modified 7800 is connected to the serial port and that is how I have extracted the ROMs from every cart I own that is compatible with the program's bankswitch-recognition scheme. It is simply a matter of convenience to have ALL of my Atari-based functions on a single machine. From this one PC I have the ability to store and share every part of my collection with this site as well as Atarimania and several others. Experimenting with a different browser is a good suggestion. Thanks!

To Albert, using a Virtual Machine is a good idea, and it would be MOST helpful if you had the time and inclination to experiment with that. Not even sure I own hardware that will run a VM. 

As a 40-year IT veteran, burnout and retirement have led to technological apathy. Having said that, I have no intention of dragging the internet down with me (Thomas), and I can always find workarounds. This has been more a playful inquiry than a serious complaint. 

I will continue to monitor this thread, with respect and gratitude.

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I strongly doubt that the C64 can correctly render any even remotely modern website. Not even talking about all the other stuff (e.g. heavy scripting) which is common in a modern website.

And once upon a time nobody believed the Atari 2600 could run a game like Boulder Dash. :)

(To be fair and thorough, I was referring to the ports of the text-only browser Links that I have seen.)

• Like 1

Heya @Albert, this might already be already on your to-do list but I'm not sure how many people use non-default themes. The joysticks are squished on the Dimension and Deflection (the one I use) but look normal on the Default. It's just a cosmetic thing so it's definitely not super priority. 🙂

- James

image.png.ace2cf777975b7b999ed493bfaf72447.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Heya @Albert, this might already be already on your to-do list but I'm not sure how many people use non-default themes. The joysticks are squished on the Dimension and Deflection (the one I use) but look normal on the Default. It's just a cosmetic thing so it's definitely not super priority. 🙂

Yeah, that looks terrible, what I need to do is completely revise those graphics so they are in the format the forum is expecting them to be, a square graphic of some specific size.  Probably that's going to have to wait until I get back from PRGE.

..Al

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

This happens on my iPad as well, ever since I upgraded it to the iOS 16.1 beta. When I enter a topic it's marked as read, but I can't see any of the messages. It consistently happens in all topics as far as I can tell.

Aha! Never mind, I found the problem. I have a plug-in called “Shut Up” which was enabled on my iPad but not my phone. It removes the comment section from news websites etc., but apparently it got a bit too eager on AtariAge.

Not sure why I didn’t have problems with it before the 16.1 beta, but disabling it brought the forum back. Maybe @agb has a similar plug-in installed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Just a suggestion
Why not have the wanted section hidden or private, have to log in to see it?

1087550824_Screenshot2022-09-28at15-39-10Wanted.thumb.png.8cb9e99d107ea55a7c66a3f835a5b7af.png

Yes, I might hide the entire Marketplace section unless you are logged in, which is currently how the Off Topic forums operate.  But that still would not stop someone from creating an account and just looking through those forums anyway.  I might disable PM access for new members until they've had a few posts under their belt.  It's not a terribly easy problem to solve unless you want to be overly draconian regarding private messages, such as requiring a member's first several PMs to be manually approved by a moderator.  I don't really want to do that (and I'm not even sure that's possible). 

..Al

• Like 3