IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shannon said:

I really hope you plan on getting the search function fixed.. it's slow and completely erratic.  I received numerous "community not available" screens when trying to do various searches in the 5200 forum.  :(

Trust me, I don't like it either. When I get back from Portland, I will work on this again, as well as other things.  The search engine is used for many things and it drives me nuts that it's slow and/or times out. 

..Al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Anyone else experiencing issues signing in? 

Each time I try today, via normal log-in page,it tells me my account has been locked and to try again in 59 minutes. 

Yet I can sign-in fine using Goggle. 

There are bots and/or humans trying to hack forum accounts, which, if successful, will then be used try to scam users on the forum.  This happened recently with another user (AtariLeaf) -- they hacked his account (he had a fairly simple password) and they made two "For Sale" posts that looked legitimate.  They then waited until members responded to their ads, at which point they try to get them to pay for the item using shady methods.  Fortunately, nobody got taken in by this attempt, since AtariLeaf let me know fairly quickly that his account was hacked.

If you have a weak password, I STRONGLY IMPLORE YOU to change it to something long and random, and do not use the same password on multiple websites.  You can also enable Two-Factor Authentication with the forum, which will generally stop these hackers in their tracks.

Having said that, unless your password is very simple (like a single word, or something that can easily be guessed based on your username or posting history), it would take hackers quite some time to hack an account.  After three failed attempts, accounts are locked for an hour. 

Change your Password Here

Enable Two-Factor Authentication Here

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 4:15 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@Albert When I download some attached files from the forum the file name changes from what is posted on the forum.

Here's an example of one. When I try to download the attached file it seems to add a bunch of numbers to the front of the file and removes all spaces from the name. The same thing happens if I use Firefox, Opera or Edge and results in the same file name.

Original Name: Atari 8-bit Betas.zip

Downloaded Name: 1972298830_Atari8-bitBetas.zip

I'd estimate it's about 1 in 20 that do this, let me know if you need any more examples and I'll keep my eyes open. I haven't seen anyone else post about this so I was hesitant to post this issue as I though it might just be me.

- James

@Albert Some further information on the forum changing filenames, if someone hasn't posted it already.

I've noticed that the forum will add additional numbers and underscores if there are spaces in the filename. If there are no spaces in the filename it seems to keep the name as it was uploaded. I've also noticed that the forum will add numbers and letters to the end of files that only have a single letter after the period in the name whether or not it has spaces.

Here are some test files below so you can see the phenomenon.

- James

nospaces.bin

spaces in name.bin

single letter extension.a

nospacessingleletterextension.a

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray! It looks like a possible recent update that has been applied to the forum has fixed this issue! I haven't had any auto re-naming of any files recently, thanks @Albert!

- James

On 10/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@Albert Some further information on the forum changing filenames, if someone hasn't posted it already.

I've noticed that the forum will add additional numbers and underscores if there are spaces in the filename. If there are no spaces in the filename it seems to keep the name as it was uploaded. I've also noticed that the forum will add numbers and letters to the end of files that only have a single letter after the period in the name whether or not it has spaces.

<SNIP!>

• Like 1

Just now, fdr4prez said:

yeah, i noticed this, too.

thanks, AL!

Yeah, this should be fixed now as of the update I applied several days ago.  I haven't even had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm very glad to hear that attachment filenames aren't being modified.  What a huge pain in the ass that was.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, this should be fixed now as of the update I applied several days ago.  I haven't even had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm very glad to hear that attachment filenames aren't being modified.  What a huge pain in the ass that was.

..Al

Yeah I downloaded recently a few attachments with more complicated names and thankfully they turned out ok!

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Is there no longer a way to view the attachments of a particular post?  It's very inconvenient on the 75 page posts.

That functionality will be back soon.  It's a third-party plugin that I need to have validated to make sure it will work with the current version of the software.  The forum crash several weeks ago was the result of several plugins that were not compatible with this new version due to the forum moving to PHP 8.  While I was able to re-enable most third-party plugins and applications, there are a few I don't have confirmation yet as to whether they are compatible with PHP 8, and no way in hell I'm going to re-enable them until I know this for sure (one way or another). 

I'll try to have that back sometime next week.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, Keatah said:

On occasion I still get a double-email saying a new post has been added to a followed thread. Identical emails it seems, slightly different time-stamp by a few minutes at most.

This should now be fixed, and I have not personally seen any duplicate emails from the forum in the last 48 hours (and I have been paying close attention).  If anyone is still seeing duplicate emails from the forum, please save them for me and send me a PM. 

..Al

52 minutes ago, Albert said:

That functionality will be back soon.  It's a third-party plugin that I need to have validated to make sure it will work with the current version of the software.  The forum crash several weeks ago was the result of several plugins that were not compatible with this new version as a result from the forum moving to PHP 8.  While I was able to re-enable most third-party plugins and applications, there are a few I don't have confirmation yet as to whether they are compatible with PHP 8, and no way in hell I'm going to re-enable them until I know this for sure (one way or another). 

I'll try to have that back sometime next week.

..Al

Thanks!  Major version upgrades of anything always end up being quite painful.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:06 AM, Albert said:

This should now be fixed, and I have not personally seen any duplicate emails from the forum in the last 48 hours (and I have been paying close attention).  If anyone is still seeing duplicate emails from the forum, please save them for me and send me a PM. 

..Al

Looks fixed to me too. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Just an update on the duplicate emails.  Invision did develop a fix for this, which was temporarily applied to the forums.  It was then removed, as it required the forum to be in a "debug" mode, and they cannot leave forums in that state (they only use it when diagnosing issues and testing fixes).  However, they have pushed this fix into the next monthly release, so as soon as that's available I will update the forum and the duplicate emails should stop permanently.

..Al

• Like 4

• 3 months later...