IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

45 minutes ago, Toth said:

I've seen a couple people mention the dark theme but I am not seeing how you enable it.  Am I just missing it?

Edit- Yep, I was missing it.  I see it is at the bottom under "Theme".  I was focusing on the top right menu.

I skimmed the thread and didn't realize a dark theme was actually enabled - as soon as I selected it, my eyeballs went "sprooooing!" in my darkened room. Thank you, @Albert

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm just happy someone is using these extra themes!  :D

..Al

I just discovered a fun “bonus” of sorts - the themes follow the user, not just the browser! When I posted earlier, I was on Chrome and my gaming PC. When I just clicked this notification and started to reply, it is with Safari on iPad OS, which immediately switched themes to match. That’s a great feature. 

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I just discovered a fun “bonus” of sorts - the themes follow the user, not just the browser! When I posted earlier, I was on Chrome and my gaming PC. When I just clicked this notification and started to reply, it is with Safari on iPad OS, which immediately switched themes to match. That’s a great feature. 

Yes, that's true, the forum stores which theme you currently have selected, so it's not tied to a device.  :)

..Al

• Like 1

Everything looks great so far, thanks for all the hard work on the upgrade! 

I was afraid with the move we'd get yet another site with a UX update making everything full of whitespace and 1/3 the content you used to see on one screen.

Only issue I noticed is I can no longer access the hidden politics and religion forum.

8 minutes ago, thanatos said:

Everything looks great so far, thanks for all the hard work on the upgrade! 

I was afraid with the move we'd get yet another site with a UX update making everything full of whitespace and 1/3 the content you used to see on one screen.

No, it's the same forum, just a newer version, but the theme did have to be redone from scratch.  Should be a bit more refined over the next few days.

8 minutes ago, thanatos said:

Only issue I noticed is I can no longer access the hidden politics and religion forum.

There's a hidden politics and religion forum?  😍

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just accidentally discovered a cool new feature.  If you want to use an emoji, type a colon and then start typing some text.  For instance, if you're looking for a smiley, you can start typing :smi and you'll see a nice popup with matching emoji (click for larger view):

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.24.55 PM.png

Another example, :snow

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.27.05 PM.png

Fun!

..Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fdr4prez said:

I was just going to mention this issue.

I went through just about every page in the forum earlier (and there are quite a few different pages) looking for stuff like this.  When the designer implements all the changes, should be a bit cleaner and more consistent overall.

Thanks, Al for all the hard work you're doing here.

I'm glad to finally have the forum on the latest version, and also on a new home that seems to be a fair bit faster overall.

Side question - does the forum look more "flat" now?

Well, there are many boxes (such as on the front page) that had light gray/blue colored backgrounds, and most of those are white or close to white now.  I think I like them with the white better, so I haven't changed them to match the previous theme.  Many popups also have white backgrounds now as well.  That could be part of it.

..Al

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, D Train said:

This is dumb, but I'm not seeing the post number on each post. 

8 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

That's because it's not there.  It appears that you can only get the generated link to share the post, but not the number. :(

Well, that's unfortunate.  I refer to the post numbers in the Sci-Fi Picture Challenge thread spreadsheet for noting which challenge was started on which post.

If the post numbers can't be readily displayed, then I guess I will need to remove that column from the spreadsheet.

Please let me know if they'll be back

5 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

If the post numbers can't be readily displayed, then I guess I will need to remove that column from the spreadsheet.

Post numbers are not really something you want to rely on.  They are not absolute numbers tied to a certain post, but they are relative from the first post in the thread, and various things can cause them to change.  For instance, if there are any hidden posts in a thread that admins/moderators can see, the number assigned to each post will NOT match when compared to someone who cannot see those hidden posts.  If posts are deleted, the posts after the deleted post(s) will have new numbers.  If a thread is merged or split, lots of post numbers will change.  This is the main reason Invision removed them years ago, as they are not reliable.

If you want a static number that will NOT change, click on the Share link, and then look at the URL for this: "comment=5103156".  That number is the unique ID for the post, and it will be unique across the entire forum.  Probably not as helpful as you'd like, though.  Also, there are now over 5,000,000 posts on AtariAge... 

Having said that, it's possible I will bring them back.

..Al

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Post numbers are not really something you want to rely on.  They are not absolute numbers tied to a certain post, but they are relative from the first post in the thread, and various things can cause them to change.  For instance, if there are any hidden posts in a thread that admins/moderators can see, the number assigned to each post will NOT match when compared to someone who cannot see those hidden posts.  If posts are deleted, the posts after the deleted post(s) will have new numbers.  If a thread is merged or split, lots of post numbers will change.  This is the main reason Invision removed them years ago, as they are not reliable.

If you want a static number that will NOT change, click on the Share link, and then look at the URL for this: "comment=5103156".  That number is the unique ID for the post, and it will be unique across the entire forum.  Probably not as helpful as you'd like, though.  Also, there are now over 5,000,000 posts on AtariAge... 

Having said that, it's possible I will bring them back.

..Al

Thanks for the info.  

I am not using, or relying on, the post number as a hard fixed number... Just as a guide to get you to the first post of each particular challenge. 

There are nearly 500 challenges that have been made, so now it'll be an even more daunting task to find each post in the 155 pages of posts to get that real internal fixed number - especially now that there are no visible post numbers to guide me :lol:

But I can't even refer to that internal "real" post number since that isn't visible either :_(

I can't create links to each post and paste them in excel - I tried a long time ago. When I copied the "share this post" link into Excel it didn't work.  Maybe because it is in the general off topic subforums that aren't accessible publicly - meaning that you need to logged I to access those subforums.  

I guess I'll remove that post number column from our spreadsheet.   And just keep the date of these posts. 

But in general/overall having a visible post number comes in handy when you want to say something simple as, "hey, that was mentioned in post #96"  

And we can't say, "hey, that was mentioned in post #5103156" because that internal number isn't visible anywhere either. 

No worries. We'll get by. It is a challenge after all ;-)

I didn't have the time to read everything to check if it was already mentioned but I think I've noticed another difference since the upgrade. In the unread posts stream, it seems every topic stays in bold font whether unread posts remain in them or not. Which is not very convenient because I'm used to scroll until I stumble on "read" topics.

Also, regarding the option to go to the first unread post: I confirm you now always have to click the bullet (or star for topics you contributed to) since clicking on the topic title leads to the first page. 😩 Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's very convenient that way. Especially when you check your unread posts stream, you'll probably want to check the unread posts, not the whole thing, and clicking on a small bullet is not that easy (and I've never used AA on my phone). Moreover, it's quite easy once in the topic to go back to the first page, while it's basically impossible from the first page to jump to the first unread post afaik... So if it's possible to link the topic titles to the first unread post by default, it would be better imho unless this affect the whole forum and not only the stream.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Also, regarding the option to go to the first unread post: I confirm you now always have to click the bullet (or star for topics you contributed to) since clicking on the topic title leads to the first page. 😩 Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's very convenient that way. Especially when you check your unread posts stream, you'll probably want to check the unread posts, not the whole thing, and clicking on a small bullet is not that easy (and I've never used AA on my phone). Moreover, it's quite easy once in the topic to go back to the first page, while it's basically impossible from the first page to jump to the first unread post afaik... So if it's possible to link the topic titles to the first unread post by default, it would be better imho unless this affect the whole forum and not only the stream.

This new setting is working for me.

Now when I click on the thread title it takes me to the first unread post.  If it is a thread that's all read, then clicking the title will take me to the last post automatically

image.thumb.png.1947d1a7f19b6d0fc28e0972f955acd3.png

One thing I've noticed is if you have read a thread and later there are new posts, before when going

back to the thread there was an Orange line below the last post that you had read, so was easy to pick

up the new posts.

This seems to have disappeared, I can't see any indication of where the last post was read in a thread.

7 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Side question - does the forum look more "flat" now?

Looks that way to me — I think it’s in fashion for user interfaces now, as it seems more consistent with other modern looks. Blame Windows 8, iOS 7 and Google’s “material design” if you don’t like it (or credit to them if you do)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Design

8 hours ago, Albert said:

I just accidentally discovered a cool new feature.  If you want to use an emoji, type a colon and then start typing some text.  For instance, if you're looking for a smiley, you can start typing :smi and you'll see a nice popup with matching emoji (click for larger view):

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.24.55 PM.png

Another example, :snow

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.27.05 PM.png

Fun!

..Al

Like in Discord! Too bad we can’t have custom emoji for “reactions” (but probably for the best, considering some of my favorites)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

This new setting is working for me.

Yes, I actually just found it. The other problem was my fault too; only the unread posts were displayed.

59 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

One thing I've noticed is if you have read a thread and later there are new posts, before when going

back to the thread there was an Orange line below the last post that you had read, so was easy to pick

up the new posts.

This seems to have disappeared, I can't see any indication of where the last post was read in a thread.

It's actually still there, I mentioned it earlier, but the line is now blue so difficult to notice.

• Like 1