IGNORED

Atari BASIC IDE

I know there is an IDE for FastBasic, which I need to get my hands into.  As I am most familiar with Atari BASIC, I am trying to shake off some rust and experimenting with coding, primarily on Altirra.  However, it's a little slow, I'm not Altirra-savvy and it's a little time consuming.

I'd love a Windows-based IDE that would allow me to code and then run it in a separate window - does anything like that exist?

I doubt it.

You could use a PC-based text editor then use the ENTER command with a H: device using ATASCII tranlation.

But you'd still need to enter line numbers and you'd probably not be able to enter control graphics.

At the end of it all, probably slower than just using a native emulated machine.

Doing such things can be made less painful with some simple things like speeding up the key repeat rate.

e.g. POKE 729,30 : POKE 730,3

Altirra also has the copy/paste function which you can use to post sections of code.  But note that it's not going to enter the lines so care is needed.

22 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I doubt it.

You could use a PC-based text editor then use the ENTER command with a H: device using ATASCII tranlation.

But you'd still need to enter line numbers and you'd probably not be able to enter control graphics.

At the end of it all, probably slower than just using a native emulated machine.

Doing such things can be made less painful with some simple things like speeding up the key repeat rate.

e.g. POKE 729,30 : POKE 730,3

Altirra also has the copy/paste function which you can use to post sections of code.  But note that it's not going to enter the lines so care is needed.

Yep as I surmised.  With work and family, hard for me to commit to learning something completely new, although I suspect FastBasic might not be too difficult.  My curmudgeonly personality dictates I'll probably stick with BASIC for now though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Mad Studio works with many languages including Atari Basic.

After having read first post, scroll up from the last one to find latest version.

Check out topic for newbies, there are other useful programming resources.

Thanks - I was working under the impression that was Pascal only, but will give it a look.

Hi!

6 hours ago, rdefabri said:

Thanks - I was working under the impression that was Pascal only, but will give it a look.

There are various tools that help with editing Atari BASIC in a PC:

- My BASIC parser tool (at https://github.com/dmsc/tbxl-parser ) can read basic program listings (in normal or extended form) and produce BAS files directly. It supports standard Atari BASIC and TurboBasic XL.

- @Irgendwer developed "Turban", this uses the above tool to simplify development in a PC, integrating an editor and the Altirra emulator:

- Integrating other editors and emulators should be easy, @ggn did an integration with Notepad++ at:

Edit:

- You have the complete MadStudio at https://github.com/Gury8/Mad-Studio/releases/ , as Philsan said it also integrates my basic parser to allow developing BASIC programs in the PC, plus a lot of other functionality.

Have Fun!

Note to self: I should do a new release of the basic parser, there are a few bugfixes in the code after the last release...

Edited by dmsc
I can edit again :-)
  • Like 4

Hi,

Tried to edit my post above, but the forum does not allow editing currently 😞

To the above, I forgot to add the great MadStudio at https://github.com/Gury8/Mad-Studio/releases/ , as Philsan said it also integrates my basic parser to allow developing BASIC programs in the PC.

Have Fun!

Edit: now editing works again, added info above!.

Edited by dmsc
I can edit again :-)

13 minutes ago, dmsc said:

Hi!

There are various tools that help with editing Atari BASIC in a PC:

- My BASIC parser tool (at https://github.com/dmsc/tbxl-parser ) can read basic program listings (in normal or extended form) and produce BAS files directly. It supports standard Atari BASIC and TurboBasic XL.

- @Irgendwer developed "Turban", this uses the above tool to simplify development in a PC, integrating an editor and the Altirra emulator:

- Integrating other editors and emulators should be easy, @ggn did an integration with Notepad++ at:

Have Fun!

Note to self: I should do a new release of the basic parser, there are a few bugfixes in the code after the last release...

Thanks - I'll check into this!

3 hours ago, dmsc said:

3 hours ago, rdefabri said:

Thanks - I'll check into this!

I'm using the basicParser for all my larger TBXL development projects. I've also done my own integration with Notepad++, using the NppExec plugin (which is still in active development) and my own custom language highlighter configuration, for Notepad++.

I'm not sure why @Irgendwer is using line numbers in his examples, as they are not needed.

• Like 1

Hi!

41 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Any details on the bugs?

From https://github.com/dmsc/tbxl-parser/compare/v10...master :

- Fixes parsing of "TIME$" when the parser expected number or string (i.e,  PRINT TIME$ ).

- Fixed writing TBXL programs with 256 variables, or Atari BASIC with 128 variables.

- Fixed parsing of "SOUND" without parameters.

Also, extends the Atari BASIC parser to allow (and convert):

- %0 to %3

- IF without THEN

- PUT without #

- Hex numbers

Also, I added two more optimizations and better long-list output.

Have Fun!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dmsc said:

- Fixed writing TBXL programs with 256 variables, or Atari BASIC with 128 variables.

Obviously this one is of particular interest to me. Any more information on this?

Good to hear your still planning updates for the basicParser.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, dmsc said:

From https://github.com/dmsc/tbxl-parser/compare/v10...master :

13 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Obviously this one is of particular interest to me. Any more information on this?

I missed your link the first time. So, it looks like it's just related to writing exactly 256 (TBXL) or 128 (Atari BASIC) variables.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, MrFish said:

Good to hear your still planning updates for the basicParser.

I'm also glad to hear you're still working on basicParser, @dmsc. It'd be a huge win if it supported obfuscating/parsing FB code as well (or do you have a separate tool for crunching FB code?) I'd use something like "basicParser -vcs0n long.bas >short.bas" (iirc, though that was 100% from memory) to get TBXL programs down to size for my previous tenliners. Currently there's no way to do this for FB other than manual abbreviation, correct?