IGNORED

Taptalk not working after update

Killjoyy27

2 minutes ago, Killjoyy27 said:

I am still unable to use the Tapatalk app 

I'm still exploring whether or not to add Tapatalk back to the forum.  It's always been buggy, and Tapatalk has been slow to address issues.  They haven't even released an update for their Invision application in nearly a year.  On top of that, I have seen numerous reports of the poor security of the server portion of the app, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  So I need to do more research on it.  Unfortunately, Invision seems to have abandoned their own attempts at creating and maintaining a native iOS/Android app (or even a PWA app), which would be the second time this has happened in the last decade.

The forum mobile skin generally works pretty well, and includes the full functionality of the forum, unlike the limited functionality in Tapatalk.  And you can upload files directly from phones and tablets, something you couldn't easily do years ago in a mobile browser. 

What are the reasons you prefer using Tapatalk versus using the mobile browser to visit the forums?

..Al

Unsolicited advice: don’t install it. This forum is already responsive to every screen size, and Tapatalk is a sketchy company that adds nothing except compatibility and security problems. They ask for your login credentials but can’t be trusted to keep them safe, as they’ve had at least one high profile breach. They also insert advertisements unless you pay rent to them. Tapatalk is bad for the web, bad for forum administrator, and bad for users. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:59 PM, Albert said:

What are the reasons you prefer using Tapatalk versus using the mobile browser to visit the forums?

For me, it's a combination of a few things.

1) I prefer the formatting of posts within Tapatalk.  Yes, mobile browsers have got much better and are now comparable to Tapatalk, but it's just a personal preference.

2) It's easier to bounce between a few different forums that I frequent using Tapatalk.  I can quickly check for new posts across multiple forums.

3) I can browse forums independent of my browser activity.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sargon said:

For me, it's a combination of a few things.

1) I prefer the formatting of posts within Tapatalk.  Yes, mobile browsers have got much better and are now comparable to Tapatalk, but it's just a personal preference.

2) It's easier to bounce between a few different forums that I frequent using Tapatalk.  I can quickly check for new posts across multiple forums.

3) I can browse forums independent of my browser activity.

I agree with all of your points.  

For me tapatalk was the easiest and fastest way to read and post to the forums on a mobile device.  I hope it comes back, but not at the expense of Security holes if that is really an issue.

• Like 2

Glad I found this thread - also was wondering what was going on.  I keep most of my forums in Tapatalk that support it instead of having to look at every single site individually.  I do see where @Albert is getting at in regards to the possible poor security, though - and that would be something he might want to put in a sandbox and run some pen tests against to see if there’s any issues beforehand (if he does consider trying it again.)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...