IGNORED

Big thanks to Albert

Beeblebrox

Glad you are enjoying the forum, and thank you for the kind words!

I'm just glad the forum is up and working again, that's one of the longest periods its been down (the longest being about three days when a transformer exploded in the datacenter where the AtariAge server was located years ago, that took the entire site down!)  Still have a lot of work to do to get everything up to snuff again, and the theme in particular has a lot of work ahead of it.  But the forum seems much faster now, which is a nice improvement. 

..Al

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

41 minutes ago, Albert said:

This hasn't been tested since the upgrade/migration, I hope it still works!  :D

..Al

I just paid for a 1 year subscription using that link, and as far as I can tell it worked just fine 👍

And I agree with @Beeblebroxon what outstanding work you do making this resource available to all.

• Like 2

Just now, mytek said:

I just paid for a 1 year subscription using that link, and as far as I can tell it worked just fine 👍

And I agree with @Beeblebroxon what outstanding work you do making this resource available to all.

Thank you for purchasing a subscription, it's a big help!  Especially as I'm having to renew / repurchase a bunch of third-party plugins and applications for the forum right now!  And I'm glad to hear that you are also enjoying the forum and finding it useful.  :)

Now I just need to follow through with my threat over a year ago to add several new moderators to the Atari 8-bit Forum.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Couldn't log-in with google for a while after this forum was restored.. was panicking for a moment. Now's all good ! 

Good, glad that worked for you!  I still haven't fixed Twitter and Facebook logins, although nobody's complained about that (I don't think the Facebook one has worked for a while, because Facebook is always changing their APIs, and the old software was no longer compatible!)

..Al

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Anyone with $5/$30/$50 to spare can support him by getting a subscription. Money well spent!

https://forums.atariage.com/store/category/1-subscriptions/

I started a few years ago and try to maintain a subscription here, when I can afford it.  So far so good.  Thanks Albert.

• Like 2

@Albert  This may well have been mentioned/ be on your list of things to implement/fix - so apologies if I've missed it.

The signatures on the old AA threads used to be in a very small font and clearly separated from a post's text. They now appear the same size font and part of a post. Will they be reverting back to the smaller signature text and format? 

I realise the content in my signature is "busier" than most - but still even with users with smaller signature content it still takes up a lot of screen space.

7 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

The signatures on the old AA threads used to be in a very small font and clearly separated from a post's text. They now appear the same size font and part of a post. Will they be reverting back to the smaller signature text and format? 

Yes, I can make the default font for signatures smaller, and I will do that.  Signatures will also be bottom-justified in post boxes as they previously were (that's one of the changes I requested yesterday). I'm also likely to start enforcing a line limit on signatures, perhaps down to 2-3 lines at most.

7 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I realise the content in my signature is "busier" than most - but still even with users with smaller signature content it still takes up a lot of screen space.

Yes, your signature is excessive, to be honest.  It's cool that you have all that neat hardware, but I don't think it's appropriate to have a large paragraph of links like that in every single one of your posts.  And I'm not singling you out, there are many signatures like this on the forum.  The forum does have a mechanism for restricting signatures to 'x' number of lines, however, if you put everything on a single line (as your signature appears to be), you can easily get around that limit.

..Al

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Yes, I can make the default font for signatures smaller, and I will do that.  Signatures will also be bottom-justified in post boxes as they previously were (that's one of the changes I requested yesterday). I'm also likely to start enforcing a line limit on signatures, perhaps down to 2-3 lines at most.

Yes, your signature is excessive, to be honest.  It's cool that you have all that neat hardware, but I don't think it's appropriate to have a large paragraph of links like that in every single one of your posts.  And I'm not singling you out, there are many signatures like this on the forum.  The forum does have a mechanism for restricting signatures to 'x' number of lines, however, if you put everything on a single line (as your signature appears to be), you can easily get around that limit.

..Al

@Albert  Thanks and yes I agree my signature has grown over time. I'll strip out some of the content that doesn't have a link to something. (A lot of the hardware fixes for certain A8s I've done I link to as I feel they are useful for anyone going though a similar hardware issue. I also have an Incognito instal blog I created which I link to - hence why I leave that in too.

Anyhoo I'll go through now I try to slim it down. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Just now, Beeblebrox said:

@Albert  BTW is the timeout window for editing a post the same as before?  I've just noticed with my post above I cannot edit it anymore after only a few minutes. The old forum seemed to give me at least 8-10 mins before I was locked out. Just curious.🙂

That hasn't changed, regular members can edit posts for 60 minutes after they've been submitted.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.45.54 AM.png

The edit button has been moved to the "..." menu that's in the upper-right corner of a post.  I think this was a terrible move on Invision's part, so I've asked the theme designer to move this back next to the Quote button, and to also move the Report Post link back to the top of a post where it was before.

..Al

• Like 1

I'd assume that a lot of "defaults" should be turned off and just let the user decide to turn them on. I can't stand new software default settings, as I've noticed that trending in all packages out of California. Just like if I say, ignore Topic, I get another pop up asking ok? I wouldn't have chosen it if it weren't ok??? Turn all that crap off, if it's a mistake, which 90 percent are not, user can fix it. Duh

Edited by GDMike

5 minutes ago, ls650 said:

Don't forget that you can actually stop viewing of signatures.  I started using this a while ago because some sigs were getting to be a bit too much....

In addition to this, there's a small "x" button in the upper-right corner of a signature.  If you click that, a small menu appears that allows you to hide that single signature or hide all signatures:

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.55.02 AM.png

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'd assume that a lot of "defaults" should be turned off and just let the user decide to turn them on. I can't stand new software default settings, as I've noticed that trending in all packages out of California. Just like if I say, ignore Topic, I get another pop up asking ok? I wouldn't have chosen it if it weren't ok??? Turn all that crap off, if it's a mistake, which 90 percent are not, user can fix it. Duh

All settings are the same from the previous version of the software, and this includes any settings you may have made to your personal account.  I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to with "Ignore Topic".  Keep in mind that "Ignore Topic" is a (paid) third-party plugin, so if there are issues with it, I need to send those to the plugin author.

..Al

@Albert if I go to this link: https://forums.atariage.com/store/category/1-subscriptions/ I actually get nothing listed ("there are no products that match your criteria"), if I go to https://forums.atariage.com/subscriptions/ I do get subscriptions listed. I'm not sure if the previous is even supposed to work, just that it was referenced here and confused me until I re-navigated on my own =).

Also, you don't do enough self promotion, I had forgotten this existed! It should be placed on the forums page somewhat prominently. I did a two year sub to make up for my previous lack of subness.

• Like 1