IGNORED

goofed up on power mod need any help.

ulao

I have done a few of these now but I'm human, thus I make errors... I have modded another 4 port atari 5200 to use a side power jack. Instead of connecting the 12v input to the place I should, I mistakenly plugged it in to the 5 volt output used for the AV mod ( where the transister was removed). I'm not able to turn on the unit now that I put the 12 volts in to the correct point and I think I took out a regulator. No LED and no power at that trasnister point. Just a bit unclear were to look. I have two 5200 4 ports side by side so I can make checks, just looking for anyone with more experience here. I left out the detail as I'm thinking someone that does this mod would be best fit but happy to add detail for anyone willing to help.

I use this write up

https://console5.com/wiki/Atari_5200

"4-Port Switchbox Elimination Modification"

Basically making my own power jack.

What were you trying to do different compared to how this is normally done? It is one of the easier modifications to do for a console and pretty much a requirement for the 4 port systems.

Obviously some pics if you can share them of exactly where you initially had your wiring attached so that others can get a better idea of what else could be impacted by the initial mistake that was made.

If you can get it back to semi stock condition, then it would be good to start with seeing if you are able to get both input voltage to the pair of 7805s and if they are putting out any voltage on their output pins.

35 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What were you trying to do different compared to how this is normally done? It is one of the easier modifications to do for a console and pretty much a requirement for the 4 port systems.

Different? No, just a normal mod. Like I mentioned I have done many, I just made the error on this one and I think I messed it up as a result. I have done over 20 of them, I buy 4 ports unwanted from thrift fix them up and mod them. Normally goes well. Helps not to make the wrong connections.

If you can get it back to semi stock condition, then it would be good to start with seeing if you are able to get both input voltage to the pair of 7805s and if they are putting out any voltage on their output pins.

No I do not have the modulator power adapter. So if it was back to the original state I'd have no way to  power it up. I have no way to know if this was a bad atari but in my experience then tends to all be in working order. Either way I should be able to trace the power on down thru the circuit just looking to any suggestions along the way.

attached where I connected the +  ~12

image.thumb.png.54353aff30fa7819220837d2d26c8458.png

Edited by ulao

• 2 weeks later...