IGNORED

Thread contents is marked "you are banned from this topic" when not logged in.

kevtris

Thanks Kevin, I am investigating this now.  I was able to verify it myself by logging out.  This is a third-party plugin that allows moderators to ban people from specific topics, and I had to upgrade that plugin as part of the forum upgrade process yesterday.  Obviously it's out of control!  I've already written the author and sent a screenshot and expressed the urgency in order to get this fixed.  I've disabled the plugin, but it's still showing the message.  I suspect the template for that page (viewing a thread) is broken, as you can see an error message under each post.

Fortunately it's not happening with every thread, it could just be happening with threads where someone was banned.  I did just verify that four people were banned from that thread over its existence, whereas other threads I looked at that were fine did not have this issue.  I'm making note of a few other (large) threads that have had people banned from them, so I can then logout and check to see if those threads, too, have the same issue.

Thanks again for reporting this.  I will update this thread when I have more information, and hopefully a quick resolution.

..Al

Here's another thread that someone reported this happening in:

I verified that there is a single member banned from that thread, so it definitely seems to only be affecting threads where someone has been banned.  Fortunately this means only a tiny fraction of threads will be affected.  However, it also means that larger, more popular threads might be victim to this, since over a long period of time, it's more likely that someone would be banned, versus smaller threads with less activity.

..Al

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Here's another thread that someone reported this happening in:

I verified that there is a single member banned from that thread, so it definitely seems to only be affecting threads where someone has been banned.  Fortunately this means only a tiny fraction of threads will be affected.  However, it also means that larger, more popular threads might be victim to this, since over a long period of time, it's more likely that someone would be banned, versus smaller threads with less activity.

..Al

I'm not seeing any problems when viewing this thread, even when I view it using the 'private' browser setting and no log-in.

I also re-read it from start to finish and can't for the life of me see any indication of someone doing something wrong to the point of being banned. Very odd. Maybe they got banned for bad behavior elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

If you're going to "ban" someone from commenting on a thread, post the reason.

Site's getting all big brother all of a sudden.  

Learn how to use the report function instead of attacking and insulting other members when you want to play moderator on your own, and you won't be booted from a thread. 

Thank you. 

..Al

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Albert said:

Learn how to use the report function instead of attacking and insulting other members when you want to play moderator on your own, and you won't be booted from a thread. 

Thank you. 

..Al

Yeah sure.

Perhaps you should take a look at how your tenured members play nicely with each other in the various Jaguar threads. 

2 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Yeah sure.

Perhaps you should take a look at how your tenured members play nicely with each other in the various Jaguar threads.

And you think these posts were acceptable?  Next time just use the report function, which also works in the Jaguar forum.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 1.10.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 1.10.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 1.10.03 PM.png

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Kind of mild compared to the likes of what Cyrano and his programmer cronies post in the Jag forum.

So, you're saying two wrongs make a right?  You're not exactly helping your case here by attacking other members, rather than own up to your own posts attacking another member, when you could have simply ignored those threads rather than playing moderator (and clearly, you would make a terrible moderator with how you reacted).  Again, if you see posts in the Jaguar forum you feel are unacceptable, please report them.

Thank you,

..Al

• Like 1

I'm merely pointing out that others are allowed to bash and insult others with no repercussions.

Tecnohed or whatever his name is, is posting the same topic in each forum (basically asking forum members to do his research for whatever useless project he's working on).  A bit overkill, no?

Lastly, I have no desire to be a moderator as it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

8 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

I'm merely pointing out that others are allowed to bash and insult others with no repercussions.

Again, I and other moderators do not see all posts, so it's helpful when people do use the report feature if they see other members who are bashing and/or insulting others.

8 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Tecnohed or whatever his name is, is posting the same topic in each forum (basically asking forum members to do his research for whatever useless project he's working on).  A bit overkill, no?

See, here you go again, it may be useless to you, so why not just ignore it?  It's quite easy to simply not click on a topic if you have no interest in it, yet you chose to rudely attack the member rather than just reporting the topics. 

..Al

• Like 1