IGNORED

[WIP] Goat Dungeon

Fort Apocalypse

Story:

You are a goat stuck in a dungeon. Collect hearts, save goats, explore, and find the next level before cave-in!

How to play:

• Use the joystick to move your goat.
  • If you don't like the room or map, use the joystick to use explosives or the reset button to start over.
  • If you don't like the color of your goat, press the select button.
  • If you're stuck in/on a wall/cave-in too long, a buzzer will sound, then your goat may die.
  • Explore rooms and levels of the goat dungeon and collect hearts and goats for points.
  • Yes, you can go back and forth in rooms and the hearts and goats keep reappearing!
  • If you stay in a room long enough, then it will start to cave-in.
  • If you stay on a level long enough, it will really cave-in.

goat_dungeon_0.9.bas goat_dungeon_0.9.bas.bin

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

Release 0.2

• Now it's a game!
  • Collect hearts and save goats lost in the dungeon and explore the dungeon for points.
  • Choose goat color with select button.

Note: it's possible to choose the flashing radioactive goat color, but yellow-ish is default.

goat_dungeon_0.2.bas.bin goat_dungeon_0.2.bas

goat_dungeon_0.2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ngl...when I saw "goat dungeon" I thought of Goat Simulator, a deliberately-buggy game about being a goat in an open world. Now I'm curious about this and wonder what funny bugs you're gonna leave in the final product, which is a doubt somewhat. Other than the Goat Sim comparisons (because goats), I think you should finish this game. Probably gonna be a unique expansion on adventure type games for the Atari 2600.

From the screenshots, it does look nice though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, r_chase said:

ngl...when I saw "goat dungeon" I thought of Goat Simulator, a deliberately-buggy game about being a goat in an open world. Now I'm curious about this and wonder what funny bugs you're gonna leave in the final product, which is a doubt somewhat. Other than the Goat Sim comparisons (because goats), I think you should finish this game. Probably gonna be a unique expansion on adventure type games for the Atari 2600.

From the screenshots, it does look nice though.

It needs a title screen, but I'm not sure what to do with it to make it more fun. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

To try it out if you don't have a way to play it, you could download the goat_dungeon_0.6.bas.bin file, then go to:

https://javatari.org/

and click Open ROM file, then choose that file you downloaded. The goat has glitchy movement when going over/through walls, which is somewhat of a nod to Goat Simulator. There's not a lot to the game: you try to collect hearts, goats, and find the way to the next dungeon without getting stuck in/on a wall and falling over after a long time. On top of that, there are cave-ins!

Release 0.7

• Title screen and music
  • Varying gates to each screen
  • Fire button triggers limited amount of explosives which change the screen, somewhat viewable via pfscore1
  • Sounds for collision with playfield and explosives
  • Your goat can become radioactive (flash), which can be changed by changing your goat's color via the select switch.
  • Your goat can decide to exit the game at any room, if they feel like it, which will just return you to the title screen.
  • You get a certain amount of explosives on the first dungeon. In subsequent dungeons, you get a random amount of explosives (or maybe none) when you start the dungeon.

goat_dungeon_0.7.bas goat_dungeon_0.7.bas.bin

Release 0.8

• Fix: words shouldn't flash when color changes on title screen
  • Fix: bug in room generation causing pf mirroring and goat deciding to go back to title screen
  • Show some representation of time left to dungeon cave-in via pfscore2.
  • Don't make buzzing noise when goat is going through/climbing wall until it's been a little over halfway to dead.
  • Random goat placement on start

goat_dungeon_0.8.bas goat_dungeon_0.8.bas.bin

I like the idea behind this game, but I'd personally want to see more consistency, an overall goal, and hazards other than getting stuck in walls. I also don't like how you seem to get tossed around semi-randomly when you try to climb a wall. Finally, if there's an opening to cross into another room, it seems like there shouldn't be a wall immediately adjacent that you don't see until you get stuck in it.

The idea of a maze dungeon game where there's a means of traversing the walls is interesting, but I think it might be better if it game with a "cost" of some kind instead of the seeming randomness of the traversal.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.  🙂 

• Like 2

Release 0.9

• Thanks to @Karl G for the feedback! The death in/on a wall is still there, but getting stuck in/on a wall is harder.
  • Change to player-playfield collision handling to be non-random.
  • Entrances and exits to rooms match adjoining room.
  • Place goat randomly in empty spot when enter new dungeon.
  • Minor fixes to room generation

goat_dungeon_0.9.bas goat_dungeon_0.9.bas.bin

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

@Fort Apocalypse Just tried 0.9 and I feel like it's still not quite ready yet. Also maybe you could add a map somehow. I'm sure doing four more kilobytes of data for a map and some moving enemies would make this game golden. However, I like some of the bugs that add to the game...and I've already mentioned Goat Simulator before, y'know?

To put it simply, you're getting close to a finished game, just needs a bit more TLC and it'll be fully ready. Good luck.

Edited by r_chase
Grammatical correction.

• 1 month later...