IGNORED

If mario was first called jumpman,then how was epix allowed to make a jumpman game???

Once nintendo released donkeykong,mario was first called jumpman ,but once it was released overseas, he was called mario because of the boss from a wearhouse being called mario segal (huh mario sega(l)??)

and princess lady was called pauline,

With ghat said it makes me wonder how epix was allowed to make a donkeykong derivated game called jumpman???

unless nintendo sold it’s property name to epix or they tout to let go that name for what it was once the main character was called mario and don’t bother if another company will use the name jumpman for it’s own game,

Another reason i can think off why nintendo rename it’s main character to be mario is maybe because the name jumpman might be sounding too derivated to pac man or sony’s walkman, well am glad nintendo didn’t called it’s main character walkman or otherwise they might would,ve got sony getting after them,hahaaa

but still,,

it makes me wonder if theres a mario game from another company WITHOUT being a mario clone game,

i googled but so far i didn’t found one,

so do you know any non-nintendo game on a non-nintendo system called mario or were it’s main or second character is called mario???

let me know,

and since the game jumpman got a pass to be released on the commodore among other systems, i just can’t see why there wouldn’t be a non-nintendo game on another system called mario,

A6D145EF-8D53-454E-B34A-B16C4CF0FA76.jpeg

6414DABA-1480-4273-A102-2DA1CCA769DC.jpeg

A8A97337-321C-4A61-8E80-6CACB4C73D8E.jpeg

8 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Once nintendo released donkeykong,mario was first called jumpman ,but once it was released overseas, he was called mario because of the boss from a wearhouse being called mario segal (huh mario sega(l)??)

and princess lady was called pauline,

With ghat said it makes me wonder how epix was allowed to make a donkeykong derivated game called jumpman???

unless nintendo sold it’s property name to epix or they tout to let go that name for what it was once the main character was called mario and don’t bother if another company will use the name jumpman for it’s own game,

Another reason i can think off why nintendo rename it’s main character to be mario is maybe because the name jumpman might be sounding too derivated to pac man or sony’s walkman, well am glad nintendo didn’t called it’s main character walkman or otherwise they might would,ve got sony getting after them,hahaaa

but still,,

it makes me wonder if theres a mario game from another company WITHOUT being a mario clone game,

i googled but so far i didn’t found one,

so do you know any non-nintendo game on a non-nintendo system called mario or were it’s main or second character is called mario???

let me know,

and since the game jumpman got a pass to be released on the commodore among other systems, i just can’t see why there wouldn’t be a non-nintendo game on another system called mario,

A6D145EF-8D53-454E-B34A-B16C4CF0FA76.jpeg

6414DABA-1480-4273-A102-2DA1CCA769DC.jpeg

A8A97337-321C-4A61-8E80-6CACB4C73D8E.jpeg

Jumpman is just a placeholder name

Maybe they were afraid someone would notice, and they'd get sued for ripping off 'King Kong'? :)

If it was only called Jumpman in Japan, and Epyx didn't release Jumpman in Japan, there may have been no trademark dispute I suppose.

Anyway it's a good thing they changed the name.  I can't imagine the Mario franchise being so successful today if he was still called Jumpman!  

Also years ago I read that the name  Donkey Kong was a mistranslation,  in Japan the character was called 'Stupid Kong'..  don't know if that's true?

@zzip, if Miyamoto can be believed, the name was used to convey “stubborn large ape.” I would be interested in the actual transcript of Miyamoto during cross-examination though. I personally like the idea of it being a clever way of getting around copyright, (Donkey, a stupid or foolish person. A fool, being in the opposite position of a king, Hence, ”King Kong.” 

The bottom line is that no evidence backs up any of the explanations that the name “Donkey Kong” came about because of a misread fax, mispronunciation, or mistranslation. Shigeru Miyamoto, the game’s inventor and the one person who unquestionably knows the origins of the name he chose, has repeatedly affirmed that he used the word “donkey” to convey a sense of stubbornness and the name “Kong” to invoke the image of a gorilla.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donkey-kong-mistranslation/

The Universal v Nintendo case is very interesting, I especially like the fact that Universal already knew they didn’t own the rights to it from a previous lawsuit.

During the 1970s, the rights to King Kong rose again when producer Dino De Laurentiis purchased the remake rights from RKO Pictures for $200,000. Universal, on the other hand, claimed they already owned the remake rights from RKO. Over a four-day court case, Universal argued that the copyright on Lovelace’s novel had expired without renewal, making the character public domain. The Cooper estate, now headed up by Merian’s son Richard Cooper, claimed that due to the copyright expatriation, they now owned the movie rights and not RKO Pictures, but Judge Manuel Real declared that the character of King Kong was in fact public domain and free to use by anyone, so long as it did not copy the plot of the original 1933 movie which was owned by RKO Pictures. […] With all this in mind, Judge Sweet ruled in favour of Nintendo, chastising Universal for knowingly bringing this case to court and sending cease and desist letters when they knew full well they did not have the exclusive right to do so. “Throughout this litigation, Universal knew, as a result of the RKO litigation, that it had no rights to any visual image of King Kong from the classic movie or its remake,” Sweet noted. “Nonetheless, Universal, when it seemed beneficial, made sweeping assertions of rights, attempting to extract license agreements from companies incapable of or unwilling to confront Universal’s ‘profit center.'” Sweet also ruled that even if Universal did own the rights to King Kong, there weren’t enough comparisons between the property and Donkey Kong, saying the video game was “a parody” at best. The cease-and-desist letters were rendered null and void, and any company who paid Universal royalties could claim them back – which they did.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

A while ago i did wonder why epyx was allowed to make a game called jumpman back in 1983,since nintendo used that name in the first place for their character,,, to become mario later on back in 1982,well guess what as it turns out,sega made a hockey game back in 1994 being called mario lemieux hockey and also without getting troubles with nintendo,i was just like ‘wooow i never knew that’. ,this is something really interesting & unique in my opinion as their hockey game has no references to nintendo’s mario,

BUT hey let’s see if nintendo will come with a specific super mario hockey game aside from mario tennis, mario golf or mario kart to see if sega will knock on their door or not,yes mario does play hockey in sports mix and the olympic games on the wii but that’s it,so haha but still i wonder if this will ever cause confusion in the near future😁

3CD7E15B-D96D-4F1D-B542-C72B04206FB0.jpeg

• Confused 2

Might be because, at the time, Mario was not Jumpman, but was a Jumpman.  Even today, except for some random article in a retro or tech 'zine to be forgotten almost as quickly as read, no normie knows anything about jumpman or Jumpman -- he is Mario.  As for Mario Lemieux Hockey, why would Sega get into trouble with Nintendo?  The hockey aspect notwithstanding, Nintendo would not hold an exclusive license on the name "Mario"; that would be beyond completely ludicrous.

EDIT: I went back to look at the arcade instructions, and they do indeed refer to Jumpman as though it is his name.  That said, I now have to conjecture that Nintendo thought of it as more of a title than the name of the character, in particular as the instructions appear to be English translations.

• Like 2

I find it more interesting how the developer of Donkey Kong was ripped off by Nintendo, so went on to design Congo Bongo for Sega.  (At least that is what I had read somewhat recently).  The sounds the PS5 make when using the virtual keyboard remind me of the Congo Bongo music, so I always have a craving to play it after playing PS5 games.

• Like 1