IGNORED

TIPI and Raspberry pi 4 connect

Keven

1 hour ago, Duewester said:

Hmm, looks like you already have some good answers. I (just me and my OCD) gotta think that a Pi4 is a little overkill for the Tipi. But, if that's what you got you gotta work with it. I've squeezed in a Pi 02w into each of my Tipi setups. 

Actually, I've got a pi3 and a 4 and even though my pi4 has 4mb, it's slow. I've reimaged both with bookshelf and OpenOffice, and what dog slow the 4 is. Both my pi's are relatively new, with the 4 just received a month ago, I'm having to add the gpu_ and CPU performance tweaks and I still don't see a difference.

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Actually, I've got a pi3 and a 4 and even though my pi4 has 4mb, it's slow. I've reimaged both with bookshelf and OpenOffice, and what dog slow the 4 is. Both my pi's are relatively new, with the 4 just received a month ago, I'm having to add the gpu_ and CPU performance tweaks and I still don't see a difference.

You might wanna look at the sd card on that Pi4. When I have to use the sd card on 4's (1,2,4,or 8gb) I go for the fastest cards available. I prefer to use SSD's (with appropriate adapter). You can get a cheap 120gb ssd these days and it will outrun any sd card (or usb drive). But, that's totally off topic.

Whichever you decide to use, don't put anything other than the Tipi stuff on the card. Tipi doesn't require a lot of speed (thus the reason to use a Pi 0w or 02w if you have them). The 02w will be comparable to a Pi3b as far as speed goes and it's usually cheaper (if you can get on a waitlist and avoid the scalpers).

EVEN MORE OFF TOPIC- I wonder if a Pico W could run the Tipi?

The pic is my "Frankentipi" It's a Pi-02w in a Pi3 adapter board with a long set of jumpers. I don't know if it's alive yet.

Frankentipi.png

• Like 2

That wouldn't be a TIPI anymore.  

Do they have ghostscript on fuzix? Python3? Samba? 

I think it was a mistake of Raspberry PI org to carry the 'pi' moniker to the pico. 

The pico is a high end microcontroller, and the PI line are low end single board computers. If you add some peripherals and start from scratch with software, a pico could provide a percentage of what TIPI provides.

But there are too many better things to do with time. 

• Like 4

On 8/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, jedimatt42 said:

But there are too many better things to do with time. 

Not trying to step on toes or anything. Just exploring options to the Pi's With Pi0w being scalped for $200. I'm just trying to think of low cost (and available) alternatives. 

I really appreciate the work you've done on the Tipi and I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds.

Edited by Duewester
spelling and grammer

1 hour ago, Duewester said:

Not trying to step on toes or anything. Just exploring options to the Pi's With Pi0w being scalped for $200. I'm just trying to think of low cost (and available) alternatives. 

I really appreciate the work you've done on the Tipi and I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds.

I recently picked up pizero2w's for 45ea with power supply, case, cables and a 32g sandisk..   if you pay attention to the real vendors you can find them at a real price. ignore the scalpers 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I recently picked up pizero2w's for 45ea with power supply, case, cables and a 32g sandisk..   if you pay attention to the real vendors you can find them at a real price. ignore the scalpers 

@arcadeshopperWow, that's awesome. I do ignore the scalpers. Sometimes - just for kicks - I call out the scalper in their Amazon Questions. Some get pretty irate and some just roll with it.

I got my two Pi02Ws free with my magazine subscriptions when that was their freebie. Now I think they give a Pico W.

I primarily deal with Adafruit, Pimoroni and Canakit for my Pi filling. Today, just a few minutes ago I got a Pimoroni 10 Year anniversary email and in it was a link to their 4gb Pi4 "Essentials" kit (Power supply, Pi 4 4g, case and NOOBs on a card). for 66 pounds English. Didn't really need all the extras but man I was happy to find a Pi4 - anythingGB.

And OBTW, love your shop for my TI needs. I should have looked deeper when I was Ordering 4164 chips. I found the adapter boards and didn't bother to scroll around and see that you had those too.🥲

• 2 weeks later...