IGNORED

So I never thought I would actually get one of these...

PacManPlus

As long as you are able to validate that the boards in the back are good, the pinball part shouldn't be too much trouble to deal with. The playfield on these Baby Pac cabs slide out easily and things like the drop targets, flippers and slingshots are mostly mechanical and simple to troubleshoot.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

I swear they made a drop in replacement board for this at one point, it wasn't cheap but it was NEW! Problem solved!!

Bally machines have drop in boards by a company called Alltek. However, I don't recall if the boards inside Baby Pac are different. It's worth looking into, but it can get pricey quick, haha.

*Edit: Actually, it looks like their replacement boards all work in Baby Pac-Man. Link: https://allteksystems.com/collections/pinball-replacement-board-products

I've had replacement Alltek MPU and Lamp Driver boards in a couple of my late '70s/early '80s Bally/Stern solid state games. They make great products and are fantastic solutions for people that don't want to get their hands dirty on the electronics end of things. That said, I'd use them as a last resort, as again, prices can add up quick. I'd personally try to figure out what's going on with that monitor first before troubleshooting the things that drive the pinball portion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

...So, I got the VIDIOT! board repaired from John at eldoradogames.com - he was VERY helpful, and got rid of all of the battery acid from the board.  I highly recommend him!

Just to be safe, I also ordered a replacement MPU board from nvram.weebly.com and I powered it on.

I've made a list (and video documented) of the remaining issues with the game:

- Joystick doesn't do anything, although in the self-test it works

- Monitor doesn't look great, but may be passable - and is affected by sound volume

- Two of the five drop down targets don't drop

- A few of the lights are stuck 'On', some don't light at all (those may be burnt out bulbs)

Here's video documentation of the issues: 

I'm going to be doing some more research, but if anyone knows what some (any) of these are, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Bob

• Like 7

Awesome that you got it back, and great to see that there is progress (even if it's not perfect)!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd suggest starting with a round of removing all the ROMs, cleaning their legs and sockets, reinserting them, and seeing if anything changes.  The fact that all of the controls are working except for the flipper / game start buttons in addition to the lamp behaviour makes me think something isn't making a good electrical contact somewhere.  Whether that's a ROM, passive component, or connector, etc. remains to be determined, but if nothing else it'll get one of the major service routines out of the way.

Definitely check on the flipper / game start buttons individually.  My suggestion would be to check for continuity at the back of the button itself first, then move down the line through the wiring, connectors, etc.

Out of curiosity: does the new MPU board still perform the same LED flash self-test that the old one did?  My familiarity with them is practically nil, so need some help with this end of things.

I've seen weird things happen in the past when solenoids go bad, too - you might want to try unplugging them one at a time and seeing if there are any changes.  Sometimes they can short internally and cause problems that seem unrelated until the bad one is removed.

Not sure about the sound problem.  Without being there in person and also seeing a full maze screen it's hard to make a diagnosis on the monitor, but at this point it seems like there's a decent chance of getting it working properly.

It's saveable - but it's going to take a bit of elbow grease ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks!

I think the VIDIOT! board is ok, as it was thoroughly tested before it came back to me.

HOWEVER!!!!  Update: I started up Baby Pac-Man in PINMAME, and went into the button/joystick self-test.  I found that '15' should *not* be stuck on, and is the 'ball tilt' switch (found inside the game cabinet behind the coin door on the left side).   I'm guessing it's used to detect if the machine was tilted backward.  Anyway, that was stuck on.  So I 'unstuck' that switch, and got a playable game!!!! :D

The drop-down, and lighting issues still exist, but I tested all of the rollovers, flippers, and ball-exiters (not sure what they are called), and they all work.

For those, I will start with this:

40 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I've seen weird things happen in the past when solenoids go bad, too - you might want to try unplugging them one at a time and seeing if there are any changes.  Sometimes they can short internally and cause problems that seem unrelated until the bad one is removed.

Thank you for the idea!

I'll go check to see if the new MPU board does the self test flash like the old one, and update this post.

UPDATE:  Yes, it does the 7 flashes :) 

THANK YOU!

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7

Ugh. Two steps forward, one step back.  I accidentally lowered the pinball field (while on) on to the control panel locking bar.  I saw a spark and now the left flipper no longer does anything. :mad:   I hate myself sometimes.

Assuming I fried the solenoid.  Will eventually pick up another one.  Right now I have it up on wood blocks on the side of my garage because Ian is pretty much heading right for us.

Edited by PacManPlus

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Ugh. Two steps forward, one step back.  I accidentally lowered the pinball field (while on) on to the control panel locking bar.  I saw a spark and now the left flipper no longer does anything. :mad:   I hate myself sometimes.

Assuming I fried the solenoid.  Will eventually pick up another one.

Mistakes happen, part of the coolness is the whole exploration and learning process.  You'll get it working fully, and it will be all the more rewarding when done. :)

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Right now I have it up on wood blocks on the side of my garage because Ian is pretty much heading right for us.

Please stay safe and healthy, Bob... I am located in the Tampa Bay area and hunkering down.  :-D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Assuming I fried the solenoid.  Will eventually pick up another one.  Right now I have it up on wood blocks on the side of my garage because Ian is pretty much heading right for us.

You might be lucky and just have blown a fuse or fuses - and that link gels with my recollection of where they're located.  Come to think of it, that may also explain some of your lighting and / or target issues.  Marco Specialties sells a fuse kit for Baby Pac-Man that contains all of the correct sizes and capacities, FWIW.

Worry about it later - do what you have to do to stay safe from Ian.  Same to @Trebor.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

That would not have ruined a solenoid.  You most likely blew the fuse underneath the playfield.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, PacManPlus said:

@PacManPlus just checking in.  Nothing posted since Tuesday.  Hope everything is fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trebor said:

@PacManPlus just checking in.  Nothing posted since Tuesday.  Hope everything is fine.

PMP isn't that far from the Orland area if I recall so he might just be without power or means to log in and give an update? I do hope everything is okay and that he is just unable to check in. Then again, were it me, checking in with AtariAge would be pretty low on the list of priorities.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

PMP isn't that far from the Orland area if I recall so he might just be without power or means to log in and give an update? I do hope everything is okay and that he is just unable to check in. Then again, were it me, checking in with AtariAge would be pretty low on the list of priorities.

Absolutely, hobby may be pretty low on list of priorities, just letting him know the overall community is aware and cares.

• Like 3

Hey Guys!

Thank you so much for checking in on me - that really means a lot!

I'm about 3 hours south of Orlando.

Cape Coral / Fort Myers was hit hard from this hurricane (it basically made landfall here).  I still have to power or internet at home.  I'm at my sister's house who has a generator and using my cell phone for internet.  We just got water back.

Sanibel Island is completely cut off (the only road in/out was destroyed), a lot of damage to buildings, etc.  The gated community here has a lot of mobile homes destroyed. :(

We got lucky though; only minimal damage (screens ripped, outside lights broken, back roll cage won't open).

We stayed even though we were told to leave.  I know, stupid, but wanted to make sure the house was ok.  I was concerned about the Storm Surge, but luckily the canals didn't overflow on my street.

LCEC is saying it could be from 1 to 3 weeks before we get power back. :(

I hope everyone else here from Florida did ok too! :(

Thanks, guys

Bob  

• Like 15

Hey Bob, glad you made it through safely and with minimal damage ;-) This definitely did not look like a fun one to have to sit through, and I'm saying that from tornado alley.

Best of luck with getting the power restored.  As I understand it, a small army of linesmen have arrived from other states, so hopefully they can make this a faster process.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for checking in on me - that really means a lot!

And it means even more that you are okay, Bob.   Thanks for checking in on the forum thread! :)

I'm about 3 hours south of Orlando.

Cape Coral / Fort Myers was hit hard from this hurricane (it basically made landfall here).  I still have to power or internet at home.  I'm at my sister's house who has a generator and using my cell phone for internet.  We just got water back.

Sanibel Island is completely cut off (the only road in/out was destroyed), a lot of damage to buildings, etc.  The gated community here has a lot of mobile homes destroyed. :(

We got lucky though; only minimal damage (screens ripped, outside lights broken, back roll cage won't open).

We stayed even though we were told to leave.  I know, stupid, but wanted to make sure the house was ok.  I was concerned about the Storm Surge, but luckily the canals didn't overflow on my street.

LCEC is saying it could be from 1 to 3 weeks before we get power back. :(

Devastating what happened to so many out in that area.  Fingers crossed it leans closer to 1 than the 3 weeks for electric to be restored.

I hope everyone else here from Florida did ok too!

As mentioned in the group PM, really nothing to complain about.  Some lost tree limbs but no major damage, and most importantly, no lost lives.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, PacManPlus said:

Right now I have it up on wood blocks on the side of my garage because Ian is pretty much heading right for us.

How did the equipment fare?

• Like 2

Thanks, Trebor-

The equipment is fine, not much water got in the garage, and most of it was by the garage door... So we're good.

Side note, I'm finding ways to use old tube TVs as R,G,B arcade monitors (Standard Resolution).  I've done a couple already and they look incredible.  If I get my hands on another 13" CRT that has composite input (you need that only for the V+H Sync signal) I may just replace the Baby Pac monitor with that. :)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 8

Glad to hear you and your place are OK, Bob. My mother-in-law's place in Bonita Springs did have some damage to her extended car port but her double-wide trailer itself is fine (as well as her car.) Luckily she is still at her place here in Connecticut.

• Like 3