IGNORED

Dracula Story Beta

Grevle

1 hour ago, LiqMatrix said:

It's a legitimate masterpiece man! 😊👍🎨🦄🌌 You have a very good eye (and ears) for making it look and feel like a real old game, bringing out that look and humor with the animations, sound effects and graphics (and game play too). Congrats and thanks for making a really fun game!

Thank you. I try creating something from the heart, But The gameplay mechanics are quite simple. There are so many talented coders out here with amazing skills and talent, I'm not the best by far, but there should be room for everyone in this hobby 😉

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Grevle said:

Thank you. I try creating something from the heart, But The gameplay mechanics are quite simple. There are so many talented coders out here with amazing skills and talent, I'm not the best by far, but there should be room for everyone in this hobby 😉

That was actually a quote from @Turbo Laser Lynx. I was agreeing with them. It's not about being the best (completely subjective). You captured all of the elements of how a game would have looked back in those days and a ton of charm to go with it. It has an arcade & adventure quality about it that changes just enough each round to keep you coming back for more. Not everyone gets what makes a great game. You get it. Nice work!

• Like 1

VER 1.4.

The user IVOP provided me  with a new titletune, A spooky theme, Fits the game better, And theres on thing that needed a fix, When the game is over the current player score was not shown on the "Dracula Story" title screen. The highscore was shown but the current player score was reset to soon. Fixed that. Well then i'm off to vacation.  

Dracula_Story_1.4.Atr

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Grevle said:

VER 1.4.

The user IVOP provided me  with a new titletune, A spooky theme, Fits the game better, And theres on thing that needed a fix, When the game is over the current player score was not shown on the "Dracula Story" title screen. The highscore was shown but the current player score was reset to soon. Fixed that. Well then i'm off to vacation.  

Dracula_Story_1.4.Atr 90.02 kB · 1 download

GOSH DAMN is that a HARD GAME!!  Either that or, I am getting old.   :)    Seriously though, VERY NICELY DONE.  Very original.   I like it.  Just curious, 6502 Assembler?  Enjoy vacation!!

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, scotty said:

GOSH DAMN is that a HARD GAME!!  Either that or, I am getting old.   :)

It is hard. I have not beaten level 1 yet myself :)

Seriously though, VERY NICELY DONE.  Very original.   I like it.  Just curious, 6502 Assembler?

It is bootstrapped in Turbo Basic. Most drawing (plot/drawto) is also done in Turbo Basic. The game mechanics and PMGs are done in assembly. It hops back and forth between TB and assembly.

Enjoy vacation!!

When Grevle is back he can probably tell more about it.

The title song is a single channel playing some spooky riffs. The sole player is 102 bytes. I thought it would play during the game, too, but apparently not :) During the title screen it slowly increases in speed. A full binary of the player and driver is less than 166 bytes :) There were only a few bytes left for music.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:21 AM, Grevle said:

So this game seems to be close to finished. First name was Dracula Homeground but i changed the name to Dracula Story.

Heres the first Playable Beta Version. 

Dracula_Story-Beta_01.Atr 90.02 kB · 171 downloads

I played the version 1.5 today.  Great Fun!

Thanks for making it.

First few goes in my 1st 10 minutes played I swore tons and my best score was 150, made to what I think is level 2?

I beat that 1st boss, I guess you call it. 

TJ

Edited by AtariSociety
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, AtariSociety said:

I played the version 1.5 today.  Great Fun!

Thanks for making it.

First few goes in my 1st 10 minutes played I swore tons and my best score was 150, made to what I think is level 2?

I beat that 1st boss, I guess you call it. 

TJ

That's not level 2 yet :) Level 2 starts when you have saved your girlfriend and go to sleep again in your coffin.

6 minutes ago, ivop said:

That's not level 2 yet :) Level 2 starts when you have saved your girlfriend and go to sleep again in your coffin.

Damn It!!  hahaha

Yeh, I was just watching my video to see what the #s on top meant and it still showed 1.  sheesh!

Fun game... 

I guess I better go back in and kick some arse to save my lady!

Thanks for a fun game.

TJ

Version 1.6

The colors for the face of the Girl in NTSC  Atari was greenish and for technical reasons the color for the hearts above the girl is the same, So that didn't seem completely right. I did adjust these colors so the girl has skin toned face, and red dress. Also adjustet these for PAL for similar colors, Even thoug on PAL the colors was redish brown.  Seems on a rare occation 2 pixels would hang  unerased on screen while the bat is flying down the opening towards the labyrinth. This should now be resolved.

Dracula_Story-1.6.Atr

• Like 6

VER 1.7

Still learning something, By switching the color data around in the girl player data then The heart above the girl is Red, Thats  more nice i think.  Heart above dracula stays the same since the heart is generated from the same color data as dracula has, so it's a tradeoff. And dracula has a cold heart anyway 😄.

Dracula_Story-1.7.Atr

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...