IGNORED

838-PEB Pre-Order is LIVE!

Shift838

THIS IS A PREORDER ONLY!

Note: This preorder does NOT include shipping!  Shipping will be sent in a separate invoice once the item(s) are ready for shipment.  Items will not be shipped until the shipping invoice is paid.  This is done to ensure the most accurate amount of shipping and packaging will be charged based on item(s) purchased.

The preorder is accessible at my new store at the below link.  My new site is at http://www.shift838.com

Any questions please contact me from my site or here on AtariAge.

838-PEB PCB - PREORDER (shift838.com)

Ordering options explained in the below linked video!
https://youtu.be/lkkmzmUmzXA

Preorder closes on August 31, 2022 @ 9:00 a.m. CST

Absolutely no refunds will be given once the preorder closes and components and/or PCBs have been ordered.

Components and PCBs will not be ordered until after the pre-order closes.  PCBs and components will take ~3 weeks to be delivered once the orders are submitted.  Expect PCBs and components to be ordered during the 1st week of September 2022.

This preorder is for a bare PCB unless additional options are added at time of purchase.  See linked video above for explanation of all options.

The 838-PEB board allows a TI or Geneve user to choose their own PC ATX case and ATX power supply (24 pin) to be used based on the user's needs.  In order to keep cost down and to allow the user to customize their unit the buyer must buy their own PC case and ATX power supply this unit does not come with unless added as option.

The case offered will be a ATX Mid-Tower case (not included unless selected as option) with 

• 2 x USB 2.0/USB3.0/Audio In/Out Front ports
  • 1 x 3.5" external Drive Bays
  • 3 x 5.25" external drive bays
  • 5 x 3.5" internal Drive bays
  • ATX Power supply mounts at top (not included)

If any of your PEB cards have had the voltage regulators removed and jumpered you will need to ensure you have added them back.  I recommend 1.5 amp voltage regulators as 12v will be delivered to the 5v voltage regulators and be regulated by the voltage regulator down to 5.

The 838-PEB Board comes blank you may choose options for assembly.

This product has been designed around the 838-IO Plus card that replaces the Texas Instruments Flex Cable Interface.  Depending on the case you choose, and purchase will depend on if you can use the existing 838-IO Plus PEB card (if you purchased it).  If not, you will have to purchase the 838-IO Plus ATX version of the card, which is shorter to allow for the existing cables to be snaked through the standard PC IO slot and plug directly into the card.

The 838-PEB board has the below standard features:

• 8 x Expansion Slots
  • USB Pass through Power
  • USB Standby Power
  • 4 x 12v Fan headers
  • 1 x 12v tap
  • 2 each of 3.3v and 5v power taps
  • Front USB3 connector for power and data use
  • Connects for Gotek1 and Gotek2 drives for external mods for use with Display and Rotary. USB Data Lines (D and D-) hooked to front USB ports for use with MicroGotek or other USB hardware
  • RJ45 connected to Gotek1 and Gotek2 rotary and display headers for external hookups
  • Power Switch and Power LED hookups
  • connector for use with 838-Latching Relay Module

The 838-Latching Relay Module is required if a user will use the existing momentary power switch that all PC cases are equipped with.  This module allows the momentary switch to act as a latching switch.  Press to power on, press to power off.  If the Latching relay module is not purchased, then the switch will have to be replaced with a latching switch to ensure the ATX power supply stays on.

Videos of the product below:

838-PEB Part 1: Introduction
https://youtu.be/Kap86ksHbUE

838-PEB Part 2: Demonstration
https://youtu.be/xh1Mq1HeC8M

If you want to print your own 3D case for the 838-IO Plus side-port card, then there are two that have been designed are in the linked file below:

http://www.shift838.com/downloads/838IOPCASES.zip

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

@Shift838 

I am not able to get to the store with Microsoft Edge with the link above.

image.thumb.png.117e0671565471c2f3a365c79ed0a076.png

Then, hitting the Connect button, I go to this URL:

image.png.b676fad06b9a49d8b0c0df3625c8d497.png

odd.  i'm on the site right now with Microsoft Edge.

try to go to http://www.shift838.com then click on the store in the left navigation frame.

@Shift838

Chris, 

You have a lot of options, and to make sure I cover all the bases, I want to inquire if you have the time, to confirm all the components, and quantities if necessary, I would need for my setup.  If there is something I am overlooking, please let me know.  

Here is my hardware:

Geneve 9640

- Presently setup with the PS2 AT2XT Keyboard converter

- SCART setup for the monitor

Memex

PI/TIPI 

- PI is mounted on TIPI with an external power supply

SCSI card

SCSI2SD Drive

- drive can be mounted internal to case

- need to provide USB2 -micro power to front of drive versus typical "rear" power connection as voltage regulator shorted out.

Myarc HFDC

- connect to DREM, mount in drive bay.

RS232 card

Speech card

I do plan on adding a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive to the Myarc HFDC.  Presently, no floppy drives are connected to the HFDC.  

image.thumb.png.b349f4724fd3e659516879172ce1bb97.png

image.thumb.png.8c014b98f96ae82ed6b8cbe0d384dbce.png

5 minutes ago, 9640News said:

@Shift838

Chris, 

You have a lot of options, and to make sure I cover all the bases, I want to inquire if you have the time, to confirm all the components, and quantities if necessary, I would need for my setup.  If there is something I am overlooking, please let me know.  

Here is my hardware:

Geneve 9640

- Presently setup with the PS2 AT2XT Keyboard converter

- SCART setup for the monitor

Memex

PI/TIPI 

- PI is mounted on TIPI with an external power supply

SCSI card

SCSI2SD Drive

- drive can be mounted internal to case

- need to provide USB2 -micro power to front of drive versus typical "rear" power connection as voltage regulator shorted out.

Myarc HFDC

- connect to DREM, mount in drive bay.

RS232 card

Speech card

I do plan on adding a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive to the Myarc HFDC.  Presently, no floppy drives are connected to the HFDC.  

based on your current configuration the selections you made are accurate.

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speccery said:

Order 12. After a very long last it seems I will finally be getting my very own PE box! And I bet its' going to be a whole lot lighter to ship to Europe than an actual PEB... Of course I have zero expansion cards, but having this opens up new opportunities for FPGA designs...

Hans may have some expansion cards.. I sent him some to mess with 

• Like 1

I have a few boards that I can build for some of the orders I have already received.  These boards are the production board files that will be used.  So I will order some of the items to fill these orders with board stock.  If you are wondering who's I will be able to build.  I will be working on the below order #'s next week.

Orders 8, 9 and 10.

If yours are one of these numbers then yous is on the workbench to get done.  I have ordered items to go along with your orders and i should have it all by Tuesday.

• Like 1

I watched the first video - very informative and lays out the parts nicely.  I jotted down a few quick questions while looking at my cards:

1) Does the case that you selected have a 'reset' button that will tie to the 9640 breakout board?  I saw the reset noted on the breakout board but didn't hear you call that out in the video. 

2) You mention standby power that can be connected to the RPI3 - does this mean you can turn off the cards/drives with the front power button and the RPI3 will continue to operate?  I have a few SCS2SD devices that have continuous power via the 3/5" style connector (or micro usb), sounds like that would be possible to power continuously as well?  

3) In the 2nd video I saw the Rpi ethernet extender cable.   Does the wifi signal work with the case closed? You mention it depends on a few factors, curious what you've experienced. Maybe the antenna is good for a closed case.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 4:56 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

I watched the first video - very informative and lays out the parts nicely.  I jotted down a few quick questions while looking at my cards:

1) Does the case that you selected have a 'reset' button that will tie to the 9640 breakout board?  I saw the reset noted on the breakout board but didn't hear you call that out in the video. 

2) You mention standby power that can be connected to the RPI3 - does this mean you can turn off the cards/drives with the front power button and the RPI3 will continue to operate?  I have a few SCS2SD devices that have continuous power via the 3/5" style connector (or micro usb), sounds like that would be possible to power continuously as well?  

3) In the 2nd video I saw the Rpi ethernet extender cable.   Does the wifi signal work with the case closed? You mention it depends on a few factors, curious what you've experienced. Maybe the antenna is good for a closed case.

1.  Yes, you use the standard PC Case reset button.  just plugs on the headers.

2.  Yes, you can power off the entire case but with the 5v Standby hooked up to the RPi3 or lower the RPi will remain powered up.  You could use this same port to power anything that requires continuous power.

3. I have run into some issues with the case closed of getting a reliable wifi signal.  there is modifications that you can do to a Rpi to put on an external antenna.

• Like 1

I've also decided I will only make 1 production run of these.  So once the pre-order is complete and the order put in there will not be any more coming.  I will round up as I must order these in increments of 5.  So there will be anywhere from 1-4 extra ones.  But that is it.

If you want one you will need to get in on this order, even if it is just for a blank PCB.

Just posting this to set expectation.