IGNORED

F18a and expansion module 3

rietveld

2 hours ago, rietveld said:

I just ordered a F18a but can't find an offset socket for my stand alone adam

If I put the F18a in my colecovision will the expansion module 3 work with it using the VGA out?

Yes, you can install it in your ColecoVision and pretty sure that you don't need the Offset Board... it's for the Stand-Alone ADAM ColecoVision PCB. However, I don't recall if it affects the use of the Exp. Mod. #1 Atari Adapter or not as well as RF output. You should be able to find info about that on Matthew's website if no one chimes in to confirm things.

I think it would work fine. I don't have an exp module 3 anymore to test with my f18a colecovision but the video out is still coming from the colecovision when I did have one. 

It should just replace the video chip of the coleco but the output would still operate in normal TMS9918 mode anyways. 

What confuses me is that the 38 was the obvious upgrade from the 28 yet the original SGM Exp 3 claimed that it would bring more vibrant colors ect.... to the Colecovision but how was this going to happen unless it was going to use the 38?
As we have seen that this was changed to ADAM which still used the 28.

What is also confusing is that from my knowledge the video piggyback line to the Colecovision 28 is not even connected.

The Atari 2600 EXP 1 is just an Atari that passed through using a power supply, audio/video and I think the CPU clock.

The 9928 series has the ability to layer external chips but Coleco in their wisdom....
Maybe that is also why the CED player was dumped because the video would never pass through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...