IGNORED

Something's wrong when the SNES thread is the second least popular one in here

The AA forums have lately been overrun by what I assume are AI bots that just post links without comment to random youtube channels.  It's discouraging to see new posts in an interesting topic, only to find yet another 10 GAMES YOU MISSED ON THE TG16 video, or whatever.

There have also been a lot of disruptive posters on the forum lately, either people here to deliberately troll and argue in bad faith (but not technically breaking any rules), or people who have legitimate and serious mental/social issues.  Then you have the regular group of meme image posters, many of whom smell the blood in the water when someone with a history of behaving badly/strangely posts something and just flood the topic with animated gifs.  This has always been a bit of an issue on AA (especially in the Atari sections), but it definitely got worse over the last couple of years.

Who wants to put any effort into posting, when you are just going to be lost in the flood of youtube videos, shilling, and memes gifs?

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That dude seems to have come here specifically to start trouble after getting banned from someplace else, so I can hardly blame anyone for not wanting to interact. Remember how he showed up and created a terrible dumpster fire in a decade old thread (with a banned TC, from what I remember), picked fights with the mods (and everyone else, for that matter), and promptly got that thread locked? I do, and that's why I generally avoid talking to him.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I guess this is why I have thoughts of creating my own forum at times. There's a lot I'd personally like to talk about around SNES mostly, but there are only a handful of forums actually dedicated to it that I've found, and most of them are populated by programmers and/or people who don't even really seem to care that much about the SNES specifically--interpret that however you will--and I think the SNES is lacking a place where genuine fans, game designers, artists, musicians, and even programmers (but not more programmers than anyone else, dictating everything), and the like who are interested in that console specifically can actually openly talk about and even celebrate it. It's sad when people have to go to a place that really isn't made for the system they care about most just to be able to have a normal conversation about it, and, yes, maybe even discuss topics like the console wars and what consoles did what better back in the day and so on. I still don't get how it's a thing where the SNES was and still is the most popular and beloved console of the whole 16-bit era, and is still arguably the most popular of any of the consoles up until that point even now, yet it seems to be one of the least popular when it comes to creating forums and boards and the like. I mean, even in recent times, the SNES Classic Mini sold over five million units, with the NES Classic Mini coming in a distant second, and the rest not even coming close to the NES Classic Mini's numbers even if all their sales were combined. The SNES is clearly still hugely popular, for good reason, but it kinda gets ignored by the community. What a strange situation.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

33 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Whatever you do decide to do, you should try to not chase everyone away next time. That usually helps.

You obviously have a different definition of "chase" to me. The SNES thread in this forum is as popular as I've seen it since I joined, and I've been involved in some great threads there with a bunch of interesting people. Maybe I just have different interests and indeed thoughts to you. And, God forbid, maybe some other people think similarly to me and actually like celebrating the SNES as their childhood console and one that they still love to this day, possibly even more than any other system, and want to be passionate about it. And I don't see the problem with that, even if it involves some heated debates about why they think it's the best and so on, and especially if they support their views with proper facts and data. That's how you know they actually care imo. I call that love.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

13 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

You obviously have a different definition of "chase" to me. The SNES thread in this forum is as popular as I've seen it since I joined, and I've been involved in some great threads there with a bunch of interesting people. Maybe I just have different interests and indeed thoughts to you. And, God forbid, maybe some other people think similarly to me and actually like celebrating the SNES as the favourite console of their childhoods and one that they still love to this day, possibly even more than any other system, and want to be passionate about.

I don't even know what to say at this point, so I won't bother.

Just... have a nice existence, or whatever.

13 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I don't even know what to say at this point, so I won't bother.

Just... have a nice existence, or whatever.

Perfect.

See, when you come in and make snide and misguided comments about me, as you did above, I'll challenge those comments. It's just like how I challenge whatever claims about SNES and so on too, especially if they are false, irrespective of how long ago they were made. And, if you don't do any of that and just go about your day, there will be nothing for me to challenge, and I can just enjoy celebrating SNES without people like you chiming in and tainting everything (let's imagine/pretend you were one of the people involved in that old post that made me come into AtariAge originally for a moment), which is all I wanted in the first place.

And you can talk to whomever about whatever you and they love similarly.

Of course, if any of it involves challenging the SNES, especially if it's in a patently false and/or unfair way, I'll be around.

Otherwise, we can all have fun and live in harmony, regardless of whatever console(s) we love. Simples. :D

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Never forget

Yes, don't forget. Pay attention to all the false information and insults spewed out about SNES in that thread, and without provocation to start it. It's best if everyone in these communities simply sticks to the facts or at least just make it clear all they're talking about is personal opinion.

Here, for example, is a snippet taken for the very first reply to the topic of this thread:

"SNES: WTF is all I can say. It's a 65816. Its the successor to the 65C02, but the one in the SNES is balls-frigging-slow. Yes it gets the benefits of 16 bit operations, but its still so frikking slow that it doesn't really matter. It sort of cancels itself out by being so slow. It's like having a Ferarri that can only shift into 3rd gear."

Couple more comments down:

"I'm pretty sure the SNES squeaked by with that puny CPU by passing off as much video & audio processing to those separate video & sound processors as it could."

Another:

"PCE beats SNES for SF2 (Though I still like SNES the most for nostalgia reasons!)"

And then this one:

"The SNES was really weak, because Nintendo was too cheap to include Blast Processing."

And this one too:

"The Super NES has the slowest CPU ever,"

And so it went.

This is just people spouting out utter rubbish and with zero actual facts behind it.

No one coming into a respectable forum around these consoles should have to put up with that crap. And the fact it was allowed for so long is shameful.

Am I wrong?

And all I did was come in and call it out once I saw it during some online searching for the last couple of years while trying to learn more about the SNES' capabilities, which I think that kind of nonsensical stuff warrants as it was popping up time and time again, especially because it's still going on to this day in exactly the same way.

It's not my fault the thread was ancient yet so many people still believed and indeed even still do believe the same old insidious garbage.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

9 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

The bottom line is: Atari and other pre Nintendo gamers lean towards Atari games.  It's not just nostalgia but a whole different take on video game design.

Hope that answers this topic.

Yeah, this thread is old and has been pretty much answered already, so don't worry about that. It only got brought up again recently because someone posted something new--and now it's went off on a funny tangent. But thanks. :)

Still, I do hope to see the SNES gain more popularity in places like this going forward. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Do you actually know what my favourite game system is? I don't think you do.

Well, here's what I care about: I care about great conversations around the console I love, the SNES*. And if you're just going to argue with me when I defend it against a bunch of a-holes attacking it and spreading a pile of lies for no good reason other than bitterness because they lost the console war back in the '90s and can't get over it, we're not gonna be pals. But I can live with that. I'm sure you can too.

*And also other consoles too, as and when I feel like it.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

This is just people spouting out utter rubbish and with zero actual facts behind it.

Actually, the SNES has a slow CPU, it's a fact. That doesn't prevent it from having great games, though, obviously. 😩

(also I'm pretty sure the guy who mentioned "blast processing" was joking, but whatever)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Actually, the SNES has a slow CPU, it's a fact. That doesn't prevent it from having great games, though, obviously. 😩

(also I'm pretty sure the guy who mentioned "blast processing" was joking, but whatever)

To make matters worse: most companies chose to go the SlowROM (2.68Mhz) route.  I wonder what could have been with a few more dollars spent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

It actually doesn't have a "slow" CPU. For a console of that time, it was actually pretty dang fast and very efficient, once you get past that single on-paper number that most people are obsessed with, but it was slower than the competition at raw number crunching, yes.

This, however, is not indicative of a "slow" CPU:

And all of those examples are running on a stock SNES and most even in SlowROM no less.

What makes most people think it's a "slow" CPU is a combination of early launch titles cheaping-out on SlowROM plus badly optimized code, and a bunch of people in recent time spreading the same old false narrative.

Just so people are aware, here's a very simple and clear demonstration of the difference simply moving from SlowROM to FastROM can make:

Just calling the SNES [and its CPU] "slow", is like saying the Genesis colours palette was "tiny". Well, relative to SNES and PC Engine, yes, but in and of itself it was pretty solid and could produce very nice results in the right hands. And the SNES' CPU was a lot closer to the Genesis' CPU in speed (around 2:1) than the Genesis' colours were to the SNES' in count (4:1 onscreen and 64:1 in master palette).

But, whatever, if someone's gonna try to actually proclaim the SNES "slow" and genuinely mean it, like it just can't run fast games or games with load of stuff on-screen and so on without slowdown, that's exactly when I'll challenge such claims and provide a bunch of evidence proving them patently wrong.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

Kirk dude, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the SNES and all things technical, but your approach is just so obtuse and confrontational that it is very hard root for you in your endeavors.

Always going straight to the jugular and not letting go until the red mist covers the walls.

I just walked into a room to play and talk about the SNES but now it's a crime scene.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wayler said:

Kirk dude, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the SNES and all things technical, but your approach is just so obtuse and confrontational that it is very hard root for you in your endeavors.

Always going straight to the jugular and not letting go until the red mist covers the walls.

I just walked into a room to play and talk about the SNES but now it's a crime scene.

I just don't back down when challenged. But, if you notice, that's kinda the same for most of the other people I'm arguing with, or else it would just me talking in a vacuum. So, I guess it comes down to who should be backing down when there's a disagreement going on. And, all I can say is that at least when I'm arguing about something I'm backing it up with examples and data and so on, most of the time. What I'm not comfortable with though, is if someone comes in and says something I absolutely disagree with, be it bad about SNES or me, and then I'm just supposed to take it and be all fake nice or something. That's just not how I roll. And, yeah, it leads to confrontation at times. But, as you will see, it's rarely ever me attacking some other system or person first, but instead me defending either the system I love or myself, which, imo, points to where the issues and the battles start at least, even if I'm the one absolutely trying to win the war. I hear you, but until these people stop with all the attack on SNES or indeed just outright lies, I won't either. And I think I've mentioned before that, personally, I actually have no real issue with a bit of disagreement and conflict, and I'm not sure why other people get so upset by it either to be honest. It's not like we're all children and can't take a bit of heated back and forth on whatever topic. Where there is passion there is heat, and sometimes a crime scene. Lol ;-)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1