IGNORED

SNES Mini/preloaded system?

Has anyone bought any of these? Some come pre-loaded with hundreds of games (most of which are dupes I know), but not a hell of a lot of other info. I recently re-set up my SNES. Did the Retrobrite, looks great....started playing, of course just about ALL the games that require saving - the batteries are dead. I actually you toubed and read up on replacing the battery. Two seem to be working perfectly, but one specifically must just be fried, it saves for about a week then it loses the memory (yes, I did it the right way, soldering the battery. It's a game I really love, and there are a few others I haven't messed with yet and don't want to so Id rather just buy an all in one for the games. And no I' dont care to do emulation. Feels sheap to me lol.

Anyway...any suggestions would be much appreciated!     

Well yeah it's possible you have a fried component somewhere near the battery on the one which is causing it to discharge that fast.  If it's a cheap game I'd just dump it and get a replacement if you don't have a bench full of little caps and resistors to swap in a fixed one when the bugged out one is located.

Batteries are damned easy, very fast, and they last a great many years, though clearly they aren't made from Nintendo unicorn dust that somehow keeps a battery working for like 20-30+ years (my original launch Zelda cart still has a save from 1987.)  I've never had a battery fail on any cart I ever bought/was gifted new from in the era, just a few second hand. ;)

If you want a mini it is an in house set of roms and emulator they made.  You could use hakchi2 and throw a few hundred more SNES games on there, they'll fit, but after a point you'll run out of room.  At that point you'll need a couple things, one which is a USB bypass/pass through adapter you jack into the power port in the rear.  The opposing end has a port to plug the power into back to the wall jack, but being T shaped, the side port is a USB standard one, there you can get second part a USB thumb drive, and put the rest of the library on there and get it that way.  The problem is though, then you're using dumpy ass retroarch gutting the original setup from the device to access more games than the internal storage can handle.  But realistically speaking I'd imagine a few 100s SNES games is likely more than you'll ever need anyway.  With a library just over 700 titles, around 200 of them or so are amazing ones that should be played, that would fit in the internal storage.

• Thanks 1

Dude yes... that game I have owned since it came out.  IT with Gradius III were the first games I bought after the original release of the system and me knocking off Mario World entirely.  I still re-play that game over and over, it's so well done and just short enough (but not too short) to be easily replayed a lot and not get tiring or boring.  It is expensive compared to just a couple years ago which is sad, it was a huge run release so it's not like few copies exist, but hey...greed.  Hopefully you can come across it cheap, but piece of advice, ignore the 2nd, it does NOT exist.  Bad gameplay, slippery landings on double jumps, remove the SimCity lite elements entirely, removed the battery for an annoying password, lacks a general sense of direction at times...it's awful with none of the rewards other than looking really pretty.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, jetset said:

Has anyone bought any of these? Some come pre-loaded with hundreds of games (most of which are dupes I know), but not a hell of a lot of other info. I recently re-set up my SNES. Did the Retrobrite, looks great....started playing, of course just about ALL the games that require saving - the batteries are dead. I actually you toubed and read up on replacing the battery. Two seem to be working perfectly, but one specifically must just be fried, it saves for about a week then it loses the memory (yes, I did it the right way, soldering the battery. It's a game I really love, and there are a few others I haven't messed with yet and don't want to so Id rather just buy an all in one for the games. And no I' dont care to do emulation. Feels sheap to me lol.

Anyway...any suggestions would be much appreciated!     

If you're basically asking if there's any of these SNES "Mini" systems that are actually good and worth recommending, I would put the SNES Classic Mini up there in a heartbeat, if you can get your hands on one. I have one under my TV right now, and it's honestly the most fun I've had gaming in decades. I did have to hack it though, mostly so I could add a bunch of additional games [from a variety of systems] plus a command to let me quickly return to the main menu without having to walk over to the console and press the reset button. And I also bought a couple of controller cable extensions too, so I could actually play the thing comfortably from my sofa. Once I got those things sorted though, it went from a very cool little fan-service system to my favourite current-day console. It feels very much like my original SNES but actually a bit better in some ways, with all of the benefits of a simple offline old-school console and none of the downsides of most modern systems other than a tiny bit of input lag, but not anywhere near enough to taint the experience. And there's just something special that you get from playing these games on your main TV while sitting on your sofa and using a proper SNES controller, that just isn't the same at all when playing some emulator on a gaming chair in front of your PC monitor with an Xbox One controller or whatever. Basically, the SNES Classic Mini is awesome imo.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 2

Of all the systems to arrive with a game library locked in on them for around the $60-100 range the best of them quality wise would end up being largely the SNES, Genesis Mini 2, and the PCE/TG Mini.  Yes I know I left off the Neo Geo mini but the MSRP was like $120-130+ for those, but they can be had down around $50-60 now at places, and the Astro City is moderately over $100 too, plus they're both arcade and I was trying to stick to home stuff.  The SOny one was an utter dumpster fire, and the oddball home computer mini (c64, etc) to tv really are kind of bleh too, not bad like the PS1 but still.

Internally though on the hardware side given the capability I think the Genesis Mini 2 probably once hacked/bulletproof with hakchi/project lunar level quality might be the tops given the hardware they put in, but also it had like 8-16GB of internal storage due to the CD games it has leaving an insane amount of room to throw old roms at.  I don't know how capable the hardware is, but odds are it probably has a bit more than the SNES does too since it was a slightly perked up but basically same setup as the NES CE was.  That one, with some fiddling(default doesn't always work) tops out at N64 games and maybe cherry picking X over Y emulator too to work and at full speed.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, Tanooki said:

The SOny one was an utter dumpster fire, and the oddball home computer mini (c64, etc) to tv really are kind of bleh too, not bad like the PS1 but still.

That one was a turd out of the box for sure.  But once hacked (since that aspect is being discussed too) it turned out to be pretty solid, if I recall correctly.   Best part is, to make lemonade out of lemons, it failed so hard you could pick them up for about $15 at one point, so it really felt like a lotta value for the dollar.

• Like 1

Yes if you did break the thing down and make it right for Sony the hardware was capable of running the same games they f'd up at 60fps with everything being spot on quality level stuff like the other guys did without the public issuing a patch to get there. :D  I never did look how far you could jam the hardware beyond PS1, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the same in the end, cheap rockchip or something to keep the budget lean.  I had at one rate considered it but never pulled the trigger thinking I didn't need yet another one as at that rate I had already been waffling over dumping my CG2 due to price stupidity and getting a PCE Mini as a fix in its place (which I did.)

1 hour ago, jetset said:

Thanks, just now seeing the newest replies. I have since bough an Everdrive cart so problem solved!

Only an everdrive eh?  At least it has like 80-90% of the library covered.  I get it though the other option is a couple hundred dollars new, but if you don't care for or already have those games and don't need to step up it's a smart choice.

Yes the Everdrive works 100% for what I want. There’s *maybe* 5-6 games on the list of games that don’t work that I’d want and I have 2 of them (Mario Kart and Starfox). I know there’s a better one for a little more, but it wasn’t available last year (sold out) when I wanted it so I just got the everdrive. Works great!

9 hours ago, jetset said:

Yes the Everdrive works 100% for what I want. There’s *maybe* 5-6 games on the list of games that don’t work that I’d want and I have 2 of them (Mario Kart and Starfox). I know there’s a better one for a little more, but it wasn’t available last year (sold out) when I wanted it so I just got the everdrive. Works great!

Yeah those shortages suck.  I got mine some years ago, when I think there was a bit of a run on them too as the SD2SNES in its mid-life period, so I got a gently used second hand one in a nice red shell with those classic rockets on the sticker and it works like a charm.

In the end you're not missing out huge or really at all depending on taste.  SA1 has Mario RPG, Parodius 3 (SFC), both the kirby adventure titles worth grabbing.  FX you know that lineup and have star fox, so unless you wanted a made up sequel cart, doom or yoshi no biggie either.  After that it's kind of into the weeds with SF Alpha2, a couple MMX games, random other stuff.  Given most the DSP and FX games are cheap ($5-30 range) last I looked you're probably fine just sticking with it in the long term.

The FXPAK Pro (previously known as the SD2SNES) is better than the snes Everdrive I believe.  <edit> woops didn't read the later replies. Yeah I guess they are probably hard to find at the moment.

ALTERNATIVELY, you can always build a MiSTer :)  OR, if you don't mind waiting (which you will if you order one) you could order the Super NT from Analogue.  The Analogue Pocket also plays SNES very well in handheld format. All sorts of options these days. :)

Edited by NE146