IGNORED

Lode Runner™ for Atari 2600

Dionoid

17 hours ago, tkarner said:

Well that's odd. In mine the bricks are red and the background is a dark purple. Playing it on real hardware. Tried it on multiple CRTs, composite and RF. It's the XE cartridge version, if that makes a difference.

The 8bit line has 2 artifact color versions.  The 800/400 have blue/brown.  The XL/XE models had the color clock shifted so they have purple/green.  Some programs like Ultima 4 would ask which colors you saw and adjust to get blue/brown - but most like Loderunner you got what the default was for the model you were playing on.

• 4 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of

LODE RUNNER

SAT OCT 8, 2022 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT

WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

This SATURDAY ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of LODE RUNNER for the Atari 2600 PLUS INTERVIEW with developer Dion Olsthoorn @Dionoid! You definitely don't want to miss this stream of the OFFICIALLY LICENSED port of this classic puzzle platformer. Dion has been able to squeeze all 150 levels and all the incredible gameplay you know and love onto a 32KB cartridge!

Join us on Saturday where you'll be able to ask questions to Dion about the development process and working with Tozai to be able to release this game to the world! See you there!

1732319014_20221005-LodeRunner.thumb.jpg.fb41b9a3b9e92b047656a48419faa358.jpg

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 14

Hi, I just uploaded a 3-level demo ROM of Lode Runner™ for the Atari 2600 to the original post. Both NTSC and PAL60 versions are available.

The demo ROM is 32K and can be played with the free Stella emulator or using a Harmony cartridge.

The full 150-level version will be released by AtariAge at the coming Portland Retro Gaming Expo and for sale in the AtariAge store in November.

Special thanks go to Tozai Games for allowing this demo version to be distributed to the Atari community free of change. Please respect their ownership of the Lode Runner™ property.

Enjoy!

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Hi, I just uploaded a 3-level demo ROM of Lode Runner™ for the Atari 2600 to the original post. Both NTSC and PAL60 versions are available.

The demo ROM is 32K and can be played with the free Stella emulator or using a Harmony cartridge.

The full 150-level version will be released by AtariAge at the coming Portland Retro Gaming Expo and for sale in the AtariAge store in November.

Special thanks go to Tozai Games for allowing this demo version to be distributed to the Atari community free of change. Please respect their ownership of the Lode Runner™ property.

Enjoy!

Outstanding. Works beautifully on Gopher2600 too.

• Like 6

Wow, the result is amazing Dion. I just watched the twitch replay of ZPH. The game looks and plays fantastic. Wishing you all the success it deserves. I played the Gameboy version the most in the past. Loderunner is a tricky combination of strategy and wit that favours the cunning and agile of players. Thanks also for the shoutout for Pitkat and Jamtex's testing talents. Have a great time next week at PRGE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Hi, I just uploaded a 3-level demo ROM of Lode Runner™ for the Atari 2600 to the original post.

Thank you once again Dion for coming on ZPH for an interview and debuting your incredible new port of Lode Runner! It's an outstanding version of the game and is masterfully adapted to the Atari 2600! Looking forward to seeing the box in person at PRGE, see you there!

- James

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Leaves being raked, the World Series still being played and getting that extra hour of sleep this Saturday night.......it is November!

I have been checking AA at least 5 times per day for any Lode Runner purchase updates.

I blame my mother for making me an only child that still hasn't learned any real patience in 50 years.

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to pick this up at PRGE. It's the most faithful Atari 2600 port from another system I've played! You can hardly believe it's running on an Atari 2600. It's a true time machine into 1983, channeling an Apple II, Atari 8-bit, or Commodore 64 so faithfully you can't help but remember the whirring of a floppy disk loading this game.

Plus, despite the game's simplicity considering it's 2022, it's a wonderful reminder about how fantastic games from this era really were. The levels are really complex, well-designed, and the gameplay is something that takes a few minutes to figure out what's important and what's risky before it tries to suck you in for hours of arcade-style puzzle-solving. It even does a great job of converting to a one-button joystick: I didn't miss the ability in the original game to dig behind you while running away from guards, although it looks like you can do it with a Sega controller.

This is a must-buy, loving translation to the Atari 2600.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.32029e7d7a8a8de48d1fb52c08e3a8f0.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Stratovox (2600) - Carlos Centeno
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 1