IGNORED

How many here own a 2-port 5200 unit with a 4-port BIOS???

BIGHMW

Although I have owned 3 5200 units since getting my first back in 1983 (4-port unit with the automatic switchbox) as well as a 4-port composite/s-video-modded unit and currently the same 2-port model I have owned for the past 4 years, I do think I lucked out when I found out on one of the screens on my Atarimax that I owned a 4-port BIOS-equipped 2-port unit so not only can I use the VCS (2600) adapter but also I had full compatibility with any and all games including Pitfall!, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shoot-out, the 3 that would normally not work on a 2-port console.

So my question is this, how many of you also own a 4-port BIOS-equipped 2-port console??? 

Not sure if my 2 port has a 4 port bios or not.  But I only have pitfall and mountain king to test.  I don't have krazy shootout to test.  But 2 out of 3 work.  So either I got lucky on eBay or somebody modified it before selling it to me.  I would like to test with krazy shootout to test.  But prices on eBay are krazy.

Krazy 1

or

Krazy 2

or

Krazy 3

6 games is better.  But still none are rare and 165 divided by 6 is 27.5 and for those 6 that is a lot.

Edited by 0078265317
  • Like 1

So without opening it up is there any way to know if my 2 port has a 4 port bios or not?  I don't have an atarimax cart either.  And I have 2 out of the three that are not supposed to work working in my 2 port I got off eBay.  So what exactly is supposed to happen in a 2 port that does not have a 4 port bios.  It just does not boot at all?  Or it does but won't start?  What happens?  If it boots and I press start and it starts then its good enough?

23 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

Here'e my custom 4-port bios:

Atari 5200 Font change.jpg

Where the text "COPYRIGHT" is, I can put any text there! 9 letters total! I put "SYSTEM X" because that was the 5200s first name! It's a 4-port bios in my 2-port machine! I was thinking about changing the date, the 19 in 1982 to 20 so the date would read 2082! The system of the future!

• Like 1

The actual PAM diagnostics will first show an info screen that lists the BIOS it finds. The v1.1 will basically just show NTSC BIOS Rev1 if I recall correctly. If you use that diagnostic in a 2 port model, it will show as unknown because that 1.1 doesn't recognize the 2-port BIOS. Need one of the newer v2x PAM diagnostics to see that. But honestly there only being 2 different ones out there, the original diag is enough because it will either recognize it or not and that makes it easy. They have different PNs on them too and I believe the 2port units have a -B at the end of the Atari PN? I will have to double check that later when I can to verify, but I do know the two BIOS have slightly different PNs on them.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, 0078265317 said:

I don't have an atarimax or flash cart.  A real cart is the only options.  The others are too expensive.  Unless somebody makes a cheap flash cart that just holds 1 or 2 roms or something.

You can order custom carts from here and I'm pretty sure the Diagnostics carts could be made. I was actually working with Al on this sometime back where he was wanting to offer all the different versions for people to buy, but I suggested that the only two anyone would ever need really is the 1.1 and 2.4? I think it is? I honestly don't use the newer PAM diagnostic that much since the older version 1.1 will also work fine. There are some things it will error on in testing because it expects to see 4 controller ports and the like, but aside from that the rest of the main tests work properly on both console models.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You can order custom carts from here and I'm pretty sure the Diagnostics carts could be made. I was actually working with Al on this sometime back where he was wanting to offer all the different versions for people to buy, but I suggested that the only two anyone would ever need really is the 1.1 and 2.4? I think it is? I honestly don't use the newer PAM diagnostic that much since the older version 1.1 will also work fine. There are some things it will error on in testing because it expects to see 4 controller ports and the like, but aside from that the rest of the main tests work properly on both console models.

Pete's Test Cartridge made it into the store, but compared to the PAM diagnostics it's a bit limited.  No idea how well it copes with the controllers on 2-port systems, though.

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Pete's Test Cartridge made it into the store, but compared to the PAM diagnostics it's a bit limited.  No idea how well it copes with the controllers on 2-port systems, though.

Do you mean the older PAM diagnostic for the 4 port version? It will work with the 2port even on the controller test screen. What happens is that the test will show the same thing for port 1 and 3 and port 2 and 4 simultaneously. Basically the 2 port console's port 1 seems to address as if both port 1 and port 3 are active at the same time. 

I do think the loopback board for the 4 port will fail though when used on the 2 port with the older PAM diagnostics. But I'm pretty sure it passes using a 4 port loop back with the newer PAM diagnostics with 2port consoles in mind.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Do you mean the older PAM diagnostic for the 4 port version?

Not exactly - I was referring to Pete's Test Cartridge.  IIRC, it predates the PAM diagnostics, though some of what was in Pete's Test Cart was reused for the subsequent PAM cartridges.

It will work with the 2port even on the controller test screen. What happens is that the test will show the same thing for port 1 and 3 and port 2 and 4 simultaneously. Basically the 2 port console's port 1 seems to address as if both port 1 and port 3 are active at the same time. 

Yup, that's what happens when I run it on my 2-port systems.

I do think the loopback board for the 4 port will fail though when used on the 2 port with the older PAM diagnostics. But I'm pretty sure it passes using a 4 port loop back with the newer PAM diagnostics with 2port consoles in mind.

Interesting.  I've been meaning to put a couple of loopback boards together, so will see what happens once they're finished.

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not exactly - I was referring to Pete's Test Cartridge.  IIRC, it predates the PAM diagnostics, though some of what was in Pete's Test Cart was reused for the subsequent PAM cartridges.

Yup, that's what happens when I run it on my 2-port systems.

Interesting.  I've been meaning to put a couple of loopback boards together, so will see what happens once they're finished.

But does Pete's tell you the bios version or only PAM does?

3 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

But does Pete's tell you the bios version or only PAM does?

IIRC, Pete's doesn't report BIOS version as it predates the 2-port BIOS.  The later PAM test cartridges do, but only as a checksum - they don't directly say whether it's a 2- or 4-port version.