IGNORED

How to get MORE colors! (15 colors without DLI!)

Hello!

Now, I know about display lists. But without using DLI's to change the color, you can actually get 14 colors on screen! But how?

1. Use mono-mode to get 3 extra colors (2nd color (Mono) is same luma as Color2, but same hue as color 1, then you can get 2 more via artifacts)

2. Use Missile color = $D019 (C019 on 5200) for another color

3. Use multicolor sprites to get 2 more colors (Tri color = Color 

And tada, you get 15 colors!

Of course you can get even more using DLI's, and only 5 colors are available on the Main (Lowres) part of your background, and the 3rd color for multicolor sprites is universal, as well as the color for all missiles.

Oh I forgot- If you're lucky to have GTIA, (5200's always do I think) then you can get a whopping 32 more, using GTIA modes 9 and 11. This also can be used together to get APAC, where all 256 colors are available, making the 5200 the most colorful 8 bit. Of course, we can't forget the 7800 and it's 169 color mode. So without APAC, using DLI's to update the GTIA mode, you can get 46 colors.

Unfortunately, the 7800 absolutley beats it because dispite the colors being more on 5200, with double the resolution, we get 27+ colors on 320C. (Artifacting only, using S-video and up, only 9 are present)

Edited by Ecernosoft
Forgot about OR features for tricolor

I don't have demonstration of all 46, will make one soon and will use for the upcoming ICT5200! (It's Conner time 5200)

I'll be using 15 color mode because GTIA modes are just too low-res to really use. (More than that because I will use DLI)

Edited by Ecernosoft
I forgot it's 15

You get 23 colours in non GTIA modes using multicolour PM and mixing.  Though palette is important since PM colour mixing is by ORing.

Antic 4 = 5 base colours.

PM on their own = 6 extra.

PM multicolour with overlapped PF = 12 more

The versatility of this method isn't very high in the real world but could be used to enhance a static image or with softsprites if not a lot of bigger moving objects are needed.

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

You get 23 colours in non GTIA modes using multicolour PM and mixing.  Though palette is important since PM colour mixing is by ORing.

Antic 4 = 5 base colours.

PM on their own = 6 extra.

PM multicolour with overlapped PF = 12 more

The versatility of this method isn't very high in the real world but could be used to enhance a static image or with softsprites if not a lot of bigger moving objects are needed.

How do you get overlapped PF? How does this work? I'm new to 5200/8bit. (Also, I'll be saying 5200 for now on)

I'd say, use 15 color mode for games. You get 2 multicolor sprites and a 6 color (8 on RF/Comp) playfeild, as well as another color for the missiles.

It's what I'm going to use for ICT5200.

people said the C64 was more colorful than the 8bit, they said "The 8bit can only do 9 while C64 can do 16" but then we showed them APAC mode and blew them away...