IGNORED

Help the Noob! Intellivision

I apologize in advance if I do anything wrong here; this is my first post on my first forum account..lol

About a week ago I started revisiting the current homebrew scenes for old consoles, and was pleasantly surprised by the wealth of information and positive atmosphere that exists for the Intellivision!  I revisited my old model 2 and after playing a few games and seeing some of the homebrew videos available on YouTube, I really felt the urge to try and learn coding through Oscar's IntyBasic language.  I planned to purchase both of his books on the subject, but figured I would use GRay Defender's video walk-through of the first two chapters before I committed.  So that leads to the current issues I'm facing:

1.) When copying files into the "intybasic" folder, "SDL.dll" and "libwinpthread-1.dll" don't appear in the latest download of JZINTV   (as1600 and jzintv were both present)

-went ahead and tried to continue following the video anyway-

2.) Opened up my notepad (text editor in Linux I'm running) and wrote the hello world program down, but when I try to compile said program (hello.bas hello.asm), I receive the error of "intybasic: command not found".

I admittedly lack much of any prior experience with programming.  I took (and passed!) a C++ intro class in college, but felt lost the entire time.  As much as I love the nerd culture, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this aspect of it.  I really would like to give this foray into IntyBasic my best shot, though I do wonder how much hand-holding it will take before I build a solid foundation...

Anyway, if anyone with a bit of free time feels like teaching the greenie, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Edited by PCU2

@carlsson I'll attach a screenshot of the Linux version of JZINTV I downloaded from Spatula City (the one in the middle, not raspberry pi): 

Screenshot_20220821-083049-685.png

If anyone feels I'd be better off going windows, I should have access to one by end of this next week, and can post an update from that.

Edited by PCU2

My instructions on how to build your own Portable Intellivision Development Environment on an Android device might be useful.  Just make the appropriate changes to get IntyBASIC and jzIntv running in your Linux distro.

I had downloaded the jzIntv source files, which appear in your screenshot at the bottom (jzintv-20200712-src.zip), and compiled it using Clang.  You'll just have to use the appropriate Makefile.  Of course, you also need SDL2 installed, which should be available in your X repository.

IntyBASIC should be easier to compile using Clang.

• Like 1

Gray Defender has windows so he's following the windows instructions.  Carlsson mentioned the mismatch.

Your error message says intybasic bad command.  Linux is supported but you have to grab the linux version of the command and give them executable permissions in linux.  There are some instructions in the manual.txt file that comes with intybasic.

The two dll files are for the jzintv emulator and don't affect intybasic.  They are windows specific and don't apply to the linux version.  Jzintv is an Intellivision emulator so you can try getting that working with a sample rom/bin file independent of intybasic.

• Like 1