IGNORED

SEGASCOPE 3D with ASUS VR-100G glasses

pboland

My original SEGASCOPE 3D glasses are pretty beat up. Yes I got these brand new back in late '87 or early '88 (basically when they first came out). Even back then (1989ish) I had to repair as you can see. Old eye glasses were good for something back then, Thanks Mom (they were her old glasses):

SS_orig.thumb.jpg.6897bd31003e8d2c6616dc0784ceaced.jpg

They still work, but I thought it would be a good idea to get some replacement glasses. I was made aware of the ASUS VR-100G glasses from this topic:

Sega Master System 3D Glasses - Help needed troubleshooting and repairing

Well, I bought two pair (always a good idea to have back-ups when dealing with classic video game stuff) and I had a chance to try them out.

SS_new.thumb.jpg.d7a197627b9a62d46da2600fdc09788f.jpg

The Pro:

- They are a little larger than the original Sega glasses.

- The shutters are much larger, so it doesn't feel like you are looking through tiny holes.

- They feel heavier and seem to be built a little better.

The Cons:

- They are heavier and they don't squeeze you head like the original so for some people they feel as if they are going to fall off.

- The cord is about 3 feet shorter than the originals. (original = 9ft, ASUS = 6ft)

- The glasses are not tinted as dark as the originals (this seems like a good thing but read on to find out why it's not)

The ASUS glasses work "good" and are a "good" replacement for the original Segascope 3D glasses. The only reason I didn't label them as "perfect" is because one thing. Now this take a little explanation so please bear with me.

When I first used the ASUS glasses I notice a more exaggerated flicker effect and I noticed more ghosting of the image (which makes it a little harder to see the 3D effect sometimes). I thought this was a bit strange since the shutters turn off and on at the exact same rate as the original Segascope 3D glasses. After comparing the ASUS to the SEGA glasses side by side I realized that the darker tint on the original SEGA glasses actually cut down the flicker effect and ghosting of the image. I was able to confirm this by wearing sun glasses under the ASUS glasses and then they work exactly the same as the original Segascope 3D glasses. So, to make these ASUS glasses a perfect replacement they need to have tinted lenses put in them. Don't get me wrong, they work good enough as is, but tinted lenses would be much better. 

Funny, I remember when the original Segascope 3D glasses came out people complained that they were too dark. Now I know why they are that way.  I have to hand it to the original SEGA engineers who made the Segascope glasses. They really knew what they were doing and how to get the best experience with that technology.

For reference I added an article from the old Sega news letter (Team Sega Newsletter - Issue 04) that explains how Segascope 3D works:

TeamSegaNewsletter_Issue4_0012.thumb.jpg.fff17dfb9aa7cdc17377bf2be115e975.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, pboland said:

I was able to confirm this by wearing sun glasses under the ASUS glasses and then they work exactly the same as the original Segascope 3D glasses. So, to make these ASUS glasses a perfect replacement they need to have tinted lenses put in them. Don't get me wrong, they work good enough as is, but tinted lenses would be much better. 

This might sound like a dumb idea, but couldn't we just use a couple of small squares of window tint/film and fix 'em right up?

5 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

This might sound like a dumb idea, but couldn't we just use a couple of small squares of window tint/film and fix 'em right up?

That's not dumb idea at all. That's basically what I thought people might do. Or use those disposable sunglasses you get at the eye doctor and cut those to fit inside the 3D glasses.