IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 6 - Captain Silver

BydoEmpire

Aye, matey! Time to play a game I always wanted as a kid. A game that looked awesome in magazines... but one that I've never played, let alone owned.  Raise the skull and crossbones for Captain Silver! I'm looking forward to digging into this later-release action/adventure/platformer.  Either version of the game is fine.

Instructions here: https://www.smspower.org/Manuals/CaptainSilver-SMS-US

Be quick with the pause button, I don't know if there's a way to see your score once the game is over.

This round runs August 22nd - September 4th.

sms_captain_silver_p_zgrmby.jpg&f=1&nofb

Bonus game this round will be one I've wanted to sneak in for a while, but couldn't find a connection... Pretend you're on the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team and play the Home Run Derby mode of Great Baseball and score at least one run. The highest home run total posted gets an EXTRA bonus point

Totals for this round:

1. Razzie.P 193,900 (+2)
  2. dashopepper 101,700 (+1)
  3. BydoeEmpire 94,100 (+1)
  4. Asaki 90,200 (+1)
  5. fakecortex 13,800 (+1)
Edited by BydoEmpire

4 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I didn’t know there were two versions.  Is there any difference in scoring?

Not sure. The US version is missing levels. Probably will not make a huge difference unless people are beating the game. I have never played it so I do not know how hard it is.

Not too shabby after a couple of plays, I suppose.   You guys may already know this, but I just learned during this run -- if you spend gold in the shop, that could hurt the chances for high score.  I say "could," bc there may be some strategy where spending money can cause you to earn more or something, but in my case, they just took my $$$  😐

Game doesn't seem terribly difficult overall, but this stage has platforming where I couldn't quite nail the timing so all my deaths came here

captnsiler_97200.jpg.8af255e3d86e6a83523dadcf38cf89b0.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I didn’t know there were two versions.  Is there any difference in scoring?

6 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Not sure. The US version is missing levels. Probably will not make a huge difference unless people are beating the game. I have never played it so I do not know how hard it is.

Yeah, there's a bit of difference.  The US version is super easy.  I beat it after 4 tries, I think, and only died a couple of times from the final boss on my final run.  I didn't expect it to be the end, and thought "where were all the enemies I read about in the manual?

The EUR it a bit more difficult, not just because of the extra stages, but added enemies in the four "US stages" as well, including a couple of bosses.  Still not extremely difficult, though.

But yeah, after playing these a LOT this evening ---

US version -- 102,400

Eur Version -- 193,900

Also, there's no timer bonus or anything added to the end, so unless we wanna manually add up what we "should have" gotten, your score before fighting the boss seems to be the final one, if you wanna pause and take a pic.

SilverUS.thumb.jpg.b8b707edc0626df254bf1969124886ff.jpg

SilverEUR.thumb.jpg.0d8be7f439c1cc2a15cd1b3578ec4be7.jpg

I really like the game, and would like to add it my collection (the ones I've played this evening have been via Flash Cart and Mister) but don't want the US version since I'm all snobbish n' stuff.  😁    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, yeah, the Japanese version of Captain Silver is 100 times more difficult than the US one. First level doesn't even have a boss.
48600 without trying, doing challenge mode with a kid climbing all over the TV. (just in case I forget to update again, I want to at least get a number up here)

Edit: 90200
Why do they give you an invulnerability potion right before the cliffside boss, and then take it away three seconds later when you approach the boss???

Edited by Asaki
  • Haha 1

Likes every submission, finally plays himself...

No screenshots here (couldn’t pause fast enough). But I did just get a Mega Everdrive, so I was able to play it on my TV. 

I was kind of bored with the US version, but admittedly didn’t give it much time. Scored lower, but got farther, than the European one. I did like the extra challenge in that one tho. 

US - 13,800 stage 2

EUR - 17,600 stage 1

Had GB on cart, but never played much of it 🤔 

Great Baseball HR - 5

658A0197-E9E9-4452-A886-E77493E27C73.thumb.jpeg.b5ddf0cd2c713fa6ef64c2acf4587ada.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 2:22 PM, BydoEmpire said:

Totals for this round:

1. Razzie.P 193,900 (+2)
  2. dashopepper 101,700
  3. BydoeEmpire 94,100 (+1)
  4. Asaki 90,200 (+1)
  5. fakecortex 13,800 (+1)

23 hours ago, fakecortex said:

US - 13,800 stage 2

EUR - 17,600 stage 1

Hey! I'll take my higher EUR score please! Not that it matters, hahahaha. I'll try for a higher score...

• Like 1