IGNORED

Whats Up With Heatwave now?

Shift838

All,

After some talking with @InsaneMultitasker and Kyle, it has been agreed that Heatwave will move (already has happened) to be hosted out of SHIFT838's residence.  This was decided as InsaneMultitasker has decided to focus on other areas, and I offered to continue hosting the BBS to ensure it still had a life.

Heatwave is still being ran on the same Geneve that it was ran from at Insane's residence.  The only change is that instead of Heatwave running from hard drives, it is now ran completely from a TiPi !!!

I have finished setting it up and got my port forwards in place.  You can still get to it from the same URL and port as before.  Hopefully Heatwave still has many years of service to come.

telnet to:

heatwave.ddns.net

port: 9640

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Thank you, @Shift838, for taking the reins.  Running the BBS on real hardware and in a city where the outside temperature often exceeds the human body's internal temperature is a good thing ;)   After six years it was hard to see the BBS 'go' but I know it is in good hands.  The TIPI made transferring all the system files pretty simple, and it was fun to confirm the BBS and TIPI and Geneve OS were all up to the task.

(I intend to focus on a few of my software projects and this frees equipment and some time to do so. )

• Like 6

Thought people may like to see how I have heatwave running.

I have it in an open frame basically mounted to one of my 838-PEB prototype boards.

450 watt ATX power supply

Geneve

TI RS232

TiPi

UDS-19

GBSVGA Genie V2.0 to VGA monitor

838-USB Keyboard with Fred Kaal's firmware.

I also re-purposed a spare original PEB card cage.  I was able to drill holes in the PEB that did not interfere with any traces to mount it directly to the PCB with standard m3 screws.

put in a nice recessed lighted power switch.

IMG_0673.JPG

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 6

On 8/22/2022 at 12:22 PM, Shift838 said:

Thought people may like to see how I have heatwave running.

I have it in an open frame basically mounted to one of my 838-PEB prototype boards.

450 watt ATX power supply

Geneve

TI RS232

TiPi

UDS-19

GBSVGA Genie V2.0 to VGA monitor

838-USB Keyboard with Fred Kaal's firmware.

I also re-purposed a spare original PEB card cage.  I was able to drill holes in the PEB that did not interfere with any traces to mount it directly to the PCB with standard m3 screws.

put in a nice recessed lighted power switch.

IMG_0673.JPG

Nice!

If running run entirely from TIPI, why the UDS-10 & RS-232?  Do you take the Geneve offline and use it for other things?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SkyPilot said:

Nice!

If running run entirely from TIPI, why the UDS-10 & RS-232?  Do you take the Geneve offline and use it for other things?

The software isn't written for TIPI's tcpip routines.. it's written for RS232  it can be rewritten.. if they are up to the task.. just like AFTER HOURS BBS was.. 

• Like 1

The software is an assembly & Extended BASIC hybrid and has been evolving since the late 80s, where it has always used the RS232 as the means of communication.  That said, TIPI communication routines & code are not an issue;  available memory and environmental constraints are the current limiting factors.

43 minutes ago, SkyPilot said:

If running run entirely from TIPI, why the UDS-10 & RS-232? 

The underlying context here is that the files are accessed via the TIPI.  Before transferring the BBS to @Shift838 the files were stored on and accessed via a WHT SCSI card and EZ135/SCSI2SD flash. 

• Like 2

I plan to upgrade the Raspberry Pi storage being used current to an SSD this Saturday (8/27/2022).  This will not take long, but it will require Heatwave to be taken offline for a period of time.

This will increase file IO access speeds by about 400% and help with file system stability and reliability.

Edited by Shift838

Let us know what kind of cable and how you pull your power for the SSD for this setup if you would?  I have seen some adapters, but they would pull power through the USB to SSD drive cable from the PI and thought this may be too much draw on the PI.

Beery

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Let us know what kind of cable and how you pull your power for the SSD for this setup if you would?  I have seen some adapters, but they would pull power through the USB to SSD drive cable from the PI and thought this may be too much draw on the PI.

Beery

There are various adapters made to connect mSATA, SATA and M.2 SSD Drives.  These adapters all pull power directly from the PI and typically the USB port.

I have used all 3 and 3 different Pi's (2 x 3b+ and 1 Pi4) and they all pull power from the USB and never had any problems.

I have one of these on a 3b+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CHHFMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that has this type of mSATA:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQG8HKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these on my Pi4:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C2THR25/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that has this NVME:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGJVTZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no problems with either and they have both been running for about 1.5 years that way.

required voltage and max current required for a M.2 SSD or mSATA are within specs for the USB port, so there is no issue there.

Edited by Shift838

On 8/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, Shift838 said:

There are various adapters made to connect mSATA, SATA and M.2 SSD Drives.  These adapters all pull power directly from the PI and typically the USB port.

I have used all 3 and 3 different Pi's (2 x 3b+ and 1 Pi4) and they all pull power from the USB and never had any problems.

I have one of these on a 3b+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CHHFMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that has this type of mSATA:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQG8HKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these on my Pi4:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C2THR25/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that has this NVME:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGJVTZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no problems with either and they have both been running for about 1.5 years that way.

required voltage and max current required for a M.2 SSD or mSATA are within specs for the USB port, so there is no issue there.

Good idea, so I did the same for my after hours BBS TIPI .. had to upgrade to a Pi4 though as the ssd adapter needed USB3 ..  had one here so nbd..  running now on a 256g m2 ssd  :) 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088HCY4TH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079X7LMLY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Good idea, so I did the same for my after hours BBS TIPI .. had to upgrade to a Pi4 though as the ssd adapter needed USB3 ..  had one here so nbd..  running now on a 256g m2 ssd  :) 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088HCY4TH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079X7LMLY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yeah I followed @Shift838's recommendation and got a 1 TB SSD and USB adapter he recommended.  Used the latest SDIMAGE and put it on the drive and expanded the drive. I had just over 50,000 files to copy back to the drive.

Going to run some test to see if I can see any obvious speed advantage.  Was more concerned about having higher reliability storage.  I will still do a regular backup back to my Windows system for extra safety.

Beery

Going to run some test to see if I can see any obvious speed advantage.  Was more concerned about having higher reliability storage

Is there an inherent problem with the micro sd cards and the Rpi, and how we are using them with the TIPI?  I did some googling but am not clear on what is really the issue with the current setup.

11 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Is there an inherent problem with the micro sd cards and the Rpi, and how we are using them with the TIPI?  I did some googling but am not clear on what is really the issue with the current setup.

From what I gather, repeated writes over the same spots especially with temp files, there could be a failure.  I recall Matt having commented his "temp files" was stored on a ramdisk type situation in the memory of the PI.  I have not had any failures, but it still made me a bit nervous.

Beery

• Like 1

The thing is, you may run into the same issues with an SSD. It all depends on the bit leveling algorithms used by the controller. This is one of those rare circumstances where the reliability of the spinning disk makes a positive difference as long as you don't mind the speed hit. It really depends on your use case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

No. no more than any Sd card issue. the things are designed for x number of reads and writes so sooner or later it will fail. mine was running the bbs 24/7 since last year? I can't remember when I set the BBS up, this is on the same sandisk card that I was using for long before that with ZERO ISSUES .. The only reason I changed to a SSD was for the experience and to see if there was a performance increase. 

The people having issues with sd cards are either:

- living in bad power areas and don't have a battery backup, and the drives are corrupting when being shut down or browned out 

- using sd cards that have issues already or are not quality 

• Like 1

From what I gather, repeated writes over the same spots especially with temp files, there could be a failure.  I recall Matt having commented his "temp files" was stored on a ramdisk type situation in the memory of the PI.  I have not had any failures, but it still made me a bit nervous.

Beery

correct, any thing that writes more than changes to actual files on your drive is in a ramdisk.. logs, temp files etc.. 

I have updated the TiPi for heatwave to use a 256GB SSD for storage.  This will increase file IO read/write speeds and add more reliability and stability to the storage media over the standard SD card.

I have also upgraded the power supply for the Raspberry Pi to utilize a 5 Amp 5v power supply.

My link for the power supply is below.  I did this because I found that my Raspberry Pi 3B Original power supply was insufficient to power the SSD.

Amazon.com: SHNITPWR 5V 5A DC Power Supply Adapter 5 Volt 5 Amp 25W AC 100V~240V to DC Converter Transformer LED Driver with 5.5x2.5mm DC Tip for WS2812B WS2813 LED Pixel Strip TV Box USB HUB Raspberry Pi Arduino : Electronics

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, dhe said:

@Shift838

Are either of these two memory sticks you put in the thread good to go, or is one preferred over the other?

image.thumb.png.d18e078e4d547d654b948042210376f1.png

Your visual learning pal.

so I have the 256GB running heatwave on a RPi3

I have the a couple of the 1TB running on one RPI3B+ and another on a RPI 4 8GB

I have found that on my RPI3 that the SATA III compatible SSD works good.  the NVMe does not always boot on my Pi3, but the SATA III always works.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1