IGNORED

Whats Up With Heatwave now?

Shift838

I had to fake the Xfinity router out.  for some reason the router is now not seeing the UDS-10 device I have hooked up for Heatwave as online.  I powered up raspberry and changed the host name and let it register.  I then setup a port forward to that hostname since I can no longer enter a static IP address.  I had to do this last time too.

I have changed my DHCP addresses to never expire.  I reassigned the raspberry IP address to the UDS-10 and was able to setup my port forward.  I am thinking of purchasing a Arris Surfboard G36 router as it allows for complete manual port forwarding configuration and is certified to be used with Xfinity.

Heatwave is back up.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 8:08 AM, 9640News said:

Over a year ago, I went with wireless cellular  AT&T. They disable port forwarding.

AT&T, Verizon, et. al. use carrier-grade NAT, which places all of their standard Internet devices on an internal network.  I was tasked to set up a cellular back-end into a network for outages and found AT&T offers a direct-connect plan (which gives your device a public IP) for an extra $80 per month on top of your data service.  Since my data plans are $10 for each device, this would be $90 a month.  A little pricey for the customer as it would be cheaper to install a real POTS line for dial-in.

I found a couple of POTS-to-LTE devices which allow you to connect a standard phone to cellular.  That would just be a voice line with an analog modem on your side.  People could call the cell's number and connect.  BUT, whether some of these devices support the now-required Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE or HDVoice) is difficult to tell as the documentation has been ambiguous, at best.  I would like to think there are some out there, but I suspect consumer-end models will never be upgraded and the only offerings will be industrial.

Either way, LTE is fairly future-proof as 5G depends upon LTE/LTE+.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

All,

Heatwave is currently down and working to find out why.

I backed up heatwave a little while ago and since it runs from a TIPI I took down heatwave to ensure I did not have any files open.

backed up the entire TIPI root and all sub folders as I do weekly.

Powered it back up and it just hangs after it loads the GPL loader (the loader never comes up though) so i never get an option to load the XB cart.

I can go into MDOS, so I have tried to replace the GPL files, but nothing.  I'll keep you updated..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Does it get to the (usually) blue screen with the GPL/TIMODE version or is it hanging before that comes up? Hopefully, it is just a corrupt file and not a weird hardware issue.

never get's to the typical GPL Loader screen you want to see.  After it loads up the GPL files it just freezes.

I'm flashing a new usb drive now to check if my SSD got corrupted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

never get's to the typical GPL Loader screen you want to see.  After it loads up the GPL files it just freezes.

I'm flashing a new usb drive now to check if my SSD got corrupted.

A simple test you can try is to run MEMTEST, to see if it detects any memory issues. Static RAM problems usually manifest in the Geneve never getting past the swan or problems with programs that use fast ram.  Most of the OS uses the DRAM pages, with exception of the SCSI/Horizon/IDE DSR.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

A simple test you can try is to run MEMTEST, to see if it detects any memory issues. Static RAM problems usually manifest in the Geneve never getting past the swan or problems with programs that use fast ram.  Most of the OS uses the DRAM pages, with exception of the SCSI/Horizon/IDE DSR.

The Geneve hangs when running MEMTEST as well.

Based on the screenshot evidence, the two white pages are indicators of an address line problem with the static ram.  Most likely a bad solder joint between the stacked chips and/or a poor socket connection. 

The 7 blue pages with page numbers are fast ram and almost every MDOS program, MEMTEST and GPL included, try to run from fast ram when it is available. 

Edit: note that in the execution map, pages EC-EF are in use by MEMTEST. If you had enabled TIMODE, which reserves pages EC-EF, the program would probably lock up every time as MDOS would try to use pages E9-EB, and we suspect two of them are the problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Based on the screenshot evidence, the two white pages are indicators of an address line problem with the static ram.  Most likely a bad solder joint between the stacked chips and/or a poor socket connection. 

The 7 blue pages with page numbers are fast ram and almost every MDOS program, MEMTEST and GPL included, try to run from fast ram when it is available. 

Edit: note that in the execution map, pages EC-EF are in use by MEMTEST. If you had enabled TIMODE, which reserves pages EC-EF, the program would probably lock up every time as MDOS would try to use pages E9-EB, and we suspect two of them are the problem.

correct, i only run MEMTEST when I'm not in TIMODE

I will pull the card and look at the srom solder joints.

2 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I have checked the solder joints and even rehit them all with a hot iron.

Ran MEMTEST and all came back good.  the Onboard SRAM showed CYAN color on all pages.  rebooted and in TIMODE, ran GPL and still freezes.

Rebooted again, bypassed Autoexec (so no TIMODE), ran MEMTEST again and I have the same 2 white page faults again.

I'm wondering if the SRAM just needs to be replaced.

Edited by Shift838

5 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Hopefully, it is as simple as that.  There are other possibilities but the SRAM is the logical place to start.  The 32K chips fail very infrequently but when they do, it's often the least suspected chip.  :)

I dug through my stash as I remembered when I did the 384k upgrade to my other Geneve I pulled the 32k SRAMs of course.  Found them and replaced the stacked SRAMs, now on multiple MEMTEST the SRAM completely passes every time.  back into TI mode and Heatwave is now online again!

Thangs for the suggestions..

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I did the 384k upgrade to my other Geneve I pulled the 32k SRAMs of course.  Found them and replaced the stacked SRAMs, now on multiple MEMTEST the SRAM completely passes every time.  back into TI mode and Heatwave is now online again

Excellent!  And great news that the saved, pulled part could be placed back into service :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Hopefully, it is as simple as that.  There are other possibilities but the SRAM is the logical place to start.  The 32K chips fail very infrequently but when they do, it's often the least suspected chip.  :)

When I tested SRAM for my supercarts, I would see errors on bits 1,2 of byte 0 in failed tests. The rest of the chip would hold data. And it always pissed me off that id lose a complete Chip because of the first byte going south.

15 hours ago, dhe said:

So.. slightly amazed that parts would go bad with no reason... Even one as slight as powering on and off.

Do the dang things go bad just sitting? 😃

OLEDs

had a soldering iron that the oleds burned out while it was turned off/unplugged while sitting in my toolbox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tater1337 said:

OLEDs

had a soldering iron that the oleds burned out while it was turned off/unplugged while sitting in my toolbox

I believe it.  The "O" in OLED is "organic," which means it will be subject to rot if not protected properly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dhe said:

So.. slightly amazed that parts would go bad with no reason... Even one as slight as powering on and off.

Do the dang things go bad just sitting? 😃

Seems that way.  I wonder what the science is behind these types of failures.  Is this a MTBF situation or a defect that was lurking for years before manifesting?  Was there a catalyst?  I used to ask the owner if there were any indications of a problem before the bad part was found, such as intermittent crashes or weird behavior. Sometimes there would be an "ah hah" moment of clarity when we realized the part didn't fail that day but had been causing problems much longer.

• Like 2

Just a FYI, I had Heatwave lock up on me today after entering my user number.  Don't know if the BBS is going to reset or not.  (2:37pm EST).

I should add this is twice this week I have had the BBS lockup, or at least refused to continue, when using a Windows telnet client.

• 3 months later...