IGNORED

ECS CONTROLLER Bundle - keyboard no longer needed!

intvdave

For some reason, I have always had a fascination with the ECS. Maybe because I read about it in all the magazines, back in the day, and waited for it's release, that I ended up missing as I bought an Adam. After finally getting an ECS unit, the only titles that I found interesting were Mind Strike and World Series Baseball. But even these games fell victim to slow play. Well... WS Baseball was really a simulation (quoting the original developer). Scooby Doo... well... moving on.. 

The games used the keyboard for no reason adding to the pain of playing them. This bundle fixes all my complaints about the ECS games.

- Besides not needing the keyboard to play, though it still works if you want to use the keyboard:

- Mind Strike plays faster and the computer is smarter. You can even use the controller to design new playing fields

- Scooby Doo is now much faster. The play feels like my "super pro" games. Difficulty ramps up much quicker.

- Super NFL Football does not have any game play changes

- Super Series Baseball (a.k.a. World Series) is no longer a simulation. This is the cream of this crop. Game play is more fluid. The original player names have been restored. This is a game again!

The bundle is for sale at: http://intellivision.us/roms.php

Price is $5.00

If you play on the console, the ECS unit is still required. In emulation, you need to enable ECS.

i know these games probably never see game play from everyone out here. This project was just inspired by a Colecovision project that converted roller ball games to controller games. What kept me going was my desire to fix World Series as I have always enjoyed baseball on the Intellivision. If try this bundle out, I hope you enjoy rediscovering the ECS.

ecs1.gif.08be83cc2d47cbd0ce5d19b372cea55d.gif

ecs2.gif.c49cdb41301b21f060cb1d49e1bc3249.gif

ecs3.gif.140dcc2205fd822371a5673fbe53a607.gif

ecs4.gif.74e6bcdf792f851703213d3cab90d2f4.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, intvdave said:

I doubt there is enough interest for a physical release. Out of curiosity, which title would you like to see a a physical release?

Of the ECS games, Baseball for sure. As for others, definitely Auto Racing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

There is only one man, myth, and legend that would be willing to release baseball as a CIB.

I do not have the vision yet to say Auto Racing would be worth of a CIB release.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MIK710_0 said:

Probably Scooby Doo :)

would be possible to fit all four into one cartridge?

No to putting all on one cartridge (?).

Did anyone really play Scooby? That game was so bad. I liked how you could easily design your own mazes but that was it. I almost did not update it but became determined to convert all the ECS titles that needed to be controller only. I think it was more of a challenge for me to make it "better" than a real desire. I am happy with how it came out but do have some doubt if it is good enough. Definitely faster and more challenging. But fun enough? You all tell me.

• Like 1

I feel a grass roots ground swell for Super Pro Scooby Doo being game of the year 2022.

On a serious note.   Thank you as always!

Whatever you can do to speedup Auto Racing would be wonderful!  Also, starting a game from 1 controller would be nice.

Maybe you select 1 or 2 players in the menu etc.

Or leave the selections the same, but hold the enter key longer or maybe press it 3 times in succession etc.

I know you are big on adding options, 

So I am guessing

# of players

# of lap

Direction   ( if the checkpoints are easy to figure out)

Hopefully some added goodies.

Faster Cars

Oils Spills or other road hazards to avoid randomly.  Maybe only on straight section :)

For fun, a super pro car.  Fast Acceleration, Good Handling and fastest top speed!

Back to the Le Mans mode for a sec.  Of course with lap option it could be 99 laps or maybe 255? Whatever the storage/data type can handle? 

I would think you could do close to 99 laps per hour on track 1 if you did not make big mistakes and had the ENDURANCE!

I am hoping you have some ideas also! 

Hmm, maybe a new GLOBE of courses?

Thank you for bringing new life to classic games!

Edited by 1980gamer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cmart604 said:

I would love for a physical ECS Baseball release you can play strictly with the controllers. 

My friend and I still play Intellivision Baseball every couple months or so.

That would be awesome to play that one also!!! 👌 

I will contact the mythical man legend and see what he thinks!👍😄

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I would love for a physical ECS Baseball release you can play strictly with the controllers. 

My friend and I still play Intellivision Baseball every couple months or so.

That would be awesome to play that one also!!! 👌 

I will contact the mythical man legend and see what he thinks!👍😄

If this was a CIB for the regular Inty only this would be a no brainer but because the ECS is involved how many copies could be sold? Maybe 50? 🤔

18 hours ago, intvdave said:

I doubt there is enough interest for a physical release. Out of curiosity, which title would you like to see a a physical release?

I would vote for Super Pro World Series Major League Baseball, if only because it uses all the extra hardware: IntelliVoice, ECS, and the Aquarius peripherals.  I still like to promote it as the "killer app" of 1983, years ahead of other console Baseball games.

Did you ever reverse engineer the code to read Aquarius tapes?  I know I had wanted to do that for Melody Blaster.  Releasing expansion tapes for 1984 teams is something Mattel Electronics had wanted to do.  I'd love to see virtual tapes for use with jzIntv, to fully utilize all the features this game has to offer.

14 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

Did you ever reverse engineer the code to read Aquarius tapes?  I know I had wanted to do that for Melody Blaster.  Releasing expansion tapes for 1984 teams is something Mattel Electronics had wanted to do.  I'd love to see virtual tapes for use with jzIntv, to fully utilize all the features this game has to offer.

I had worked on Melody Blaster before. I know you did work on it also. I want to get back to it and make some changes. There are 3 pianos in my closet that want to get used. (does anyone need one? hahahaha)

I could also look into the audio tape routines. It would be cool to have it read virtual tapes. Same for Super Series Baseball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, intvdave said:

There are 3 pianos in my closet that want to get used. (does anyone need one? hahahaha)

Wait, are you saying you've got 3 Music Synthesizers?  Sign me up!  I'll cover the shipping.

And yes, I'd love to see virtual tapes for Melody Blaster and World Series Major League Baseball be released, and fully realize what could have been back in 1983.  That would just leave the Intellivision III.

31 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

Wait, are you saying you've got 3 Music Synthesizers?  Sign me up!  I'll cover the shipping.

And yes, I'd love to see virtual tapes for Melody Blaster and World Series Major League Baseball be released, and fully realize what could have been back in 1983.  That would just leave the Intellivision III.

I would like to buy one of those 3 music synthesizer keyboards for the ECS, if still available and are for sale. Sending you a PM. 

Tim

47 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

... and fully realize what could have been back in 1983.  That would just leave the Intellivision III.

Almost, but don't forget the planned wireless controllers that were supposed to plug into the top of Intellivoice. 

I think there is some untapped potential there if someone were smart enough to figure that port out.

There's power pins (unlike the controller pinouts) and a bus, so maybe it could be used as an interface for modern controllers. 

I am not an EE, so it is way beyond my skill level. 

Any design/schematics for these wireless controllers from way back then? 

2 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Great work on these.  If I had a darn ECS I'd play them.  Still holding out hope that whoever mentioned they were working on roms that would run on the LTO without need for ECS, is successful.

I do not think the LTO Flash emulates the ECS. Joe will have to rewrite ECS funtions. I looked into this a little but did not see that the work is worth the value. I would suggest play the games in emulation with an Ultimate Interface so that you can use the original controllers.

• Sad 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:16 PM, intvdave said:

For some reason, I have always had a fascination with the ECS. Maybe because I read about it in all the magazines, back in the day, and waited for it's release, that I ended up missing as I bought an Adam. After finally getting an ECS unit, the only titles that I found interesting were Mind Strike and World Series Baseball. But even these games fell victim to slow play. Well... WS Baseball was really a simulation (quoting the original developer). Scooby Doo... well... moving on.. 

The games used the keyboard for no reason adding to the pain of playing them. This bundle fixes all my complaints about the ECS games.

- Besides not needing the keyboard to play, though it still works if you want to use the keyboard:

- Mind Strike plays faster and the computer is smarter. You can even use the controller to design new playing fields

- Scooby Doo is now much faster. The play feels like my "super pro" games. Difficulty ramps up much quicker.

- Super NFL Football does not have any game play changes

- Super Series Baseball (a.k.a. World Series) is no longer a simulation. This is the cream of this crop. Game play is more fluid. The original player names have been restored. This is a game again!

The bundle is for sale at: http://intellivision.us/roms.php

Price is $5.00

If you play on the console, the ECS unit is still required. In emulation, you need to enable ECS.

i know these games probably never see game play from everyone out here. This project was just inspired by a Colecovision project that converted roller ball games to controller games. What kept me going was my desire to fix World Series as I have always enjoyed baseball on the Intellivision. If try this bundle out, I hope you enjoy rediscovering the ECS.

ecs1.gif.08be83cc2d47cbd0ce5d19b372cea55d.gif

ecs2.gif.c49cdb41301b21f060cb1d49e1bc3249.gif

ecs3.gif.140dcc2205fd822371a5673fbe53a607.gif

ecs4.gif.74e6bcdf792f851703213d3cab90d2f4.gif

I just sent payment.  Can't wait to try them out. Btw Scooby doo is an awesome game.  That's there reason Jo bought my ecs

• Like 1