Honestly I never thought much of Taito during the 16-bit era. I played Arkanoid and Bust-A-Move a decent bit over the years, and I owned Darius Twin and Super Nova back then (to me they were average at best and on the lower end when it comes to the overall Darius series as a whole). I am aware of some of their cult classics and unfortunately haven't toyed with them much, like Lufia II or Ninja Warriors, but a lot of the rest of their lineup doesn't seem terribly interesting. Lots of sports games in the mix, too. With that I'm not sure I'd consider them prolific on the 16-bit consoles of this time period. I didn't really start noticing them as more than "the company that made a few popular '80s arcade games" until the Saturn and PlayStation era where there were a lot more quality conversions to the home. My friends and I growing up certainly weren't talking about them like we did with Nintendo, Konami and Capcom. I'm curious how others perceived them during this time.

These are all the Taito published SNES/Super Famicom games I could find. Not sure if there are any others that are missing:

Arkanoid: Doh it Again
Bust-a-Move
Chaos Seed
Daibakushou Jinsei Gekijou
Daibakushou Jinsei Gekijou: Dokidoki Seishun
Daibakushou Jinsei Gekijou: Ooedo Nikki    Taito
Daibakushou Jinsei Gekijou: Zukkoke Salary Man Hen
Darius Twin
Energy Breaker
The Flintstones: The Treasure of Sierra Madrock
Hat Trick Hero 2
Hit the Ice
Honkakuha Igo: Gosei
International Tennis Tour
Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Ninja Warriors
On the Ball
Operation Thunderbolt
Saibara Rieko no Mahjong Hourouki    
Sonic Blast Man
Sonic Blast Man II
Super Chase H.Q.
Super Kyuukyoku Harikiri Stadium
Super Kyuukyoku Harikiri Stadium 2
Super Nova
Super Soccer Champ
Yuuyu no Quiz de GO! GO!
Space Invaders

• Like 1

Operation Thunderbolt was the most compromised of their arcade conversions for the Super NES. They should have outsourced its development to Rainbow Arts. On the other hand, at least it supported the SNES Mouse and Super Scope. In Darius Twin's defense, it was the first home console Darius game that had the two-player mode, and had diagonal scrolling segments that later games in the series adopted.

Honestly, never thought  much of them on the whole, but a lot of it I don't think came out of Japan either.  I didn't realized Lufia was their brand, been meaning some year to do #2 as the first isn't so hot, it's like a learning how to JRPG right thing for them (like how Breath of Fire 1 sucks compared to #2 for Capcom.)  I have Arkanoid and Bust-A-Move for the SNES, and I do have a little time with Sonic Blast Man but don't have it (I'd buy it local if I saw it, sanely priced.)  I had Ninja Warriors too for some years, it's a solid flat plane brawler type but it never sucked me in like some other stuff, and given the stupid price on it now, I see no way I'd own it again other than a cheap dusty find.

Bust A Move though is remarkable as I have the Neo Geo arcade cartridge of this one and damn it's as close as right as you can really get which says a lot, maybe even a bit more since you can fine tune the shots using L/R to slow the pointer which is a nice touch.  Arkanoid is very clean, tight, and a great yay! moment, they thoughtfully added in SNES mouse support which will fine tune that control far better than using a normal gamepad.  Interestingly enough unlike other consoles mice of the 1990s the SNES one got quite extensive use.  See for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Mouse

• Like 1

Speaking of Lufia II, a ROM hacker managed to fix the bugs and remove the censorship.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4129/

If you have a Super Everdrive or FX Pak Pro, just download the patch, apply it to the US ROM, and you have the definitive version of Rise of the Sinistrals. Fun fact about Energy Breaker: it happens to be a Lufia spinoff.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I started Lufia II in the summer and enjoyed it quite a bit. The puzzly aspect of the dungeons was refreshing and the option to avoid enemy encounters is a plus. The plotline was so-so however and the town->worldmap->dungeon->new town etc pattern became quite stale quite fast. 

My plot progress came to a screeching halt when I had the option to go to the Ancient Cave. An ingenious randomizer dungeon with great rewards for the lucky. I must have thrown almost 30 hours on that thing. However, after a while the brilliance faded a bit and I just lost interest to continue the main plot and haven't picked it up since. 

Other than Lufia II, I only own Arkanoid Doh.. from Taito which is a solid title. Ninja Warriors would be on my buy list, if it wasn't so expensive on both SNES and SFC. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 1

They both look interesting but as I learned with Lufia II, I no longer have the patience or time to immerse myself in a deep RPG experience. And I doubt my feelings for the Lufia II plot would change for de-censoring some of the content. It would still be a go-from-A-to-B affair.

As for the original question for my thoughts on Taito's Super NES run, I realized I did not play or own a single Taito game on SNES's hayday. So for me, they were completely off the radar.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I hadn't thought of playing On The Ball or Arkanoid with the mouse (Will have to try that)...Guess I was too busy lamenting that there was no paddle for my beloved Arkanoid...Anyway...Owned both BITD and Arkanoid still  :)   I assume Space Invaders is Taito too?

I have a soft spot for Space Invaders in general, plus I think I bought it on clearance for $5! 

Edited by GoldLeader
Oh I DO see Space Invaders on Austin's post. Must have missed it the first time.

9 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I hadn't thought of playing On The Ball or Arkanoid with the mouse (Will have to try that)...Guess I was too busy lamenting that there was no paddle for my beloved Arkanoid...Anyway...Owned both BITD and Arkanoid still  :)   I assume Space Invaders is Taito too?

I have a soft spot for Space Invaders in general, plus I think I bought it on clearance for $5! 

Yeah, Space Invaders is an early Taito arcade game, 1978, the SNES version is pretty close to spot on, if not spot on. Used to see boxed and still sealed copies about 10-15 years ago for $9.99.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 7:54 AM, Bloodreign said:

I think it might be SNES mouse compatible, but not sure. In emulation it plays well with a mouse.

Yep - it plays with the SNES mouse. As does Arkanoid Doh It Again.

The Space Invaders port has a nice little 2 player battle mode. Not Earth shattering but a nice distraction.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Most of their SFC/SNES games aren't for me even though many are well made, but they should did a great job with Ninja Warriors.

I played every 16-bit JRPG I could get my hands on but Lufia is one of the only ones I couldn't bring myself to finish.

I got Lufia II when it came out and it was mostly what I had want the first game to be like.

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

Most of their SFC/SNES games aren't for me even though many are well made, but they should did a great job with Ninja Warriors.

I played every 16-bit JRPG I could get my hands on but Lufia is one of the only ones I couldn't bring myself to finish.

I got Lufia II when it came out and it was mostly what I had want the first game to be like.

Same here, Lufia II I do own, but the first is just not good, too many gaps in stuff to really be fun and it drags, gets boring, it's stiff, you list a gripe it's likely valid to some bit.  I just chock it up to being a learning game for them on what to do and not to do in a sequel.  Capcom was the same with the not so great Breath of Fire 1 while 2 is so much better like Lufia II.

I wouldn't turn down either original, but they'd need to be super cheap finds out of dumb luck as I wouldn't pay the current rate to put up with it. :)