IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Weeks 3/4 ~ Games with Balls

Vocelli

Midnight Magic: 919525

I ended up running the multiplier up to the 5x max and earned 3-4 extra balls during ball one and another extra ball or two on ball five.  The score I'm reporting is my ball one score, but I played all five balls since I felt the game had world record potential on Twin Galaxies.  The video shows the complete 5-ball game.

I'm still don't know for sure what triggers two or more extra balls, but I think there is enough evidence in this game to debunk all the theories we've come up with so far.

My current theory for earning 2+ extra balls is that the following three things need to happen:

1) The current ball has to drain (i.e. you cannot queue up more than one extra ball).

2) All five of the drop targets at the top of the screen must be cleared.  This has to happen after you drain.

3) At some point since you earned the previous extra ball, you need to hit the drop target with the arrow next to it.  This may be completed either before or after you drain.

image.thumb.png.532d1bba2c9c2c206ae5e9dc37960e98.png

• Like 9

Amazing score kermit!!

And great video too. Looks like you are in control of the ball for most parts of the game. It seems, reaching the bonus times so swiftly, is the secret to a real high Score.

And you even have a rumble effect activated (the moment you loose your first ball😀)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kermit73 said:

That is an absolutely BUGNUTS score! :-o

Watching the video it seems like you got the perfect confluence of skill and the game's semi-randomized bounces, plus the mysteriously dispensed extra balls! I don't even wanna think about how long it took you to achieve that score, but way to go Kermit! 👍👍

Edit: Since you rolled the score on Ball 5 later in the game, @Vocelli should probably set a rollage score for Midnight Magic. I would have never imagined someone could actually roll it, but Kermit never ceases to amaze :lol:

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

That is an absolutely BUGNUTS score! :-o

Watching the video it seems like you got the perfect confluence of skill and the game's semi-randomized bounces, plus the mysteriously dispensed extra balls! I don't even wanna think about how long it took you to achieve that score, but way to go Kermit! 👍👍

For this game, there was definitely a lot of luck involved.  On most games, when I get a really good score, I can achieve a comparable score consistently in subsequent games.  That is not the case for this game, as evidenced by scoring less than 200k total on the last four balls.  My second best score on this game was just over 200k.  The key to running up the score this high was all the extra balls and accumulating points while it's at 5x.

10 hours ago, Absalon said:

And you even have a rumble effect activated (the moment you loose your first ball😀)

LOL - That would be me plugging in my phone camera so it wouldn't die before the end of the game.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, kermit73 said:

I ended up running the multiplier up to the 5x max and earned 3-4 extra balls during ball one and another extra ball or two on ball five.  The score I'm reporting is my ball one score, but I played all five balls since I felt the game had world record potential on Twin Galaxies.  The video shows the complete 5-ball game.

I'm still don't know for sure what triggers two or more extra balls, but I think there is enough evidence in this game to debunk all the theories we've come up with so far.

My current theory for earning 2+ extra balls is that the following three things need to happen:

1) The current ball has to drain (i.e. you cannot queue up more than one extra ball).

2) All five of the drop targets at the top of the screen must be cleared.  This has to happen after you drain.

3) At some point since you earned the previous extra ball, you need to hit the drop target with the arrow next to it.  This may be completed either before or after you drain.

image.thumb.png.532d1bba2c9c2c206ae5e9dc37960e98.png

friday ice GIF

• Like 2

Ahhh, Midnight Magic is difficulty A… this thing doesn’t let you toggle difficulty :(

Oh well, disqualified score: 57785

I did hit the drop target with the arrow with the skill shot so I think once I can play it right I will be in decent shape.

Mr. Do is borderline unplayable with this so I guess I will focus on Off the Wall until I can get back to real hardware.

• Sad 1

A mixed bag of games for me this round...

Off the Wall - 1,506

95377FA8-4ED4-4A06-97E8-FD4FA2674C39.thumb.jpeg.47b91ffe26fd8cc1c8a556bcc83b9e8f.jpeg

This is a pretty good game, but what keeps it from being great is the joystick over paddle controls. I wonder if by the time red label games came out, they were over using alternative controllers. I haven’t looked at the library to back up this theory. The power ups are awesome tho and really make this one stand out. I wish the screen was a tad taller tho bc often times the ball comes back at you so fast at the start that I miss it, and a bit more space would help. Also, I feel like the game is calling me a peasant at all times 🤣

Midnight Magic - 13,245

652F9CAC-7422-4634-968E-C3A1BA710DD1.thumb.jpeg.debaabe62365e4297e53aacdd96b67fd.jpeg

I’ve always wanted to like video pinball more than I do. I love challenges like these, but I’m just not so good 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s interesting that the cover shows these crazy two handed controls, when we just use a simple joystick:

image.thumb.jpeg.18342e9d2bc89bbf1a6c441f0c3cb88e.jpeg

Mr. Do! - 15,250

93C970EF-7D7C-4DC1-AC6E-41E987D6D473.thumb.jpeg.9b433715614486ea5ca5a2786a6db8ad.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve spent much time with any version of this one. I have played a lot of Dig Dug tho, so the comparisons come easily. Wasn’t digging it much at first, but it’s starting to grow on me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

image.thumb.jpeg.18342e9d2bc89bbf1a6c441f0c3cb88e.jpeg

I often don't study box art closely, but I think this has false advertising more egregious than the infamous chess piece.  First off you can't tilt.  Second, it's not practical to use the paddles as shown.  What's interesting is that if you plug in a set of paddles, the buttons do control the flippers.  This would be an awesome control scheme if only there were a way to launch the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, kermit73 said:

I often don't study box art closely, but I think this has false advertising more egregious than the infamous chess piece.  First off you can't tilt.  Second, it's not practical to use the paddles as shown.  What's interesting is that if you plug in a set of paddles, the buttons do control the flippers.  This would be an awesome control scheme if only there were a way to launch the ball.

I totally agree.  If they could incorporate nudging/tilting with the OG Video Pinball, why not put it in, what should have been the far superior, Midnight Magic?

16 hours ago, kermit73 said:

What's interesting is that if you plug in a set of paddles, the buttons do control the flippers.  This would be an awesome control scheme if only there were a way to launch the ball.

@kermit73, it has been a while since I played it, but that is how Bumper Bash works.  I think it is a combination of the paddle buttons to launch the ball.  Killer score on Midnight Magic, by the way.

@Vocelli, Bumper Bash for paddle weeks?  Mostly kidding.

• Like 1