IGNORED

Top 25 Most Valuable Colecovision Games in 2002 (And what their values are today)

teknohed

Hi. I have spent about 20 hours putting together this video and I hope you enjoy it. I took a price guide published in 2002 and compared the prices of the most valuable games listed there to today. I wanted to see if the values changed much in 20 years.  Let me know what you think. 

25 Most Valuable Colecovision Games (From 2002 to 2022)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, teknohed said:

Let me know what you think. 

Well, since you asked for feedback... 

I'm sorry but I'm just not a fan of videos like this. It would appear that the creator actually knows very little about the ColecoVision. Games like Meteoric Shower, which is probably the most difficult game to find a loose cart of, let alone a boxed copy, isn't even on the list. And other titles like Super Sketch, another one of the most expensive and hard to find games, is also not on this list.  I can see from the other videos you have made about Atari and Intellivision that other people also gave you the same feedback about those videos a well, but it would appear you didn't listen to any of it?  While you claim this may not be about "the most rare games" in those threads, then what exactly is it?  I mean, a title like Meteoric Shower and Super Sketch are going to be two of the most rare AND most valuable, yet missing from your video just makes this seem very amateur. 

Anyone who would have done slightly more research would know this, since there is even a "rarity guides" published IN THIS FORUM made by ColecoVision enthusiasts, maybe that would have been a better start to your research rather than going to some book in 2002 which is going to be completely and totally out of date, or a site like Price Charting, which I personally find to be a LAUGHABLE resource for actual going prices of games, but that's just my opinion. 

IMO... Using a reference from 2002, which appears to already have erroneous information, to base your video off of to make a video TODAY, just seems like a really bad decision. I mean, your book said Word Feud was nearly $700 in 2002???  That seems very unlikely and questionable.  

The video is also confusing. It doesn't really seem to be clear if the prices are all complete in box or loose carts. Sometimes he says a "boxed copy" sometimes he doesn't.

And even still, let's assume the pries are just boxed copies, he claims a game like Q*Berts Qubes is currently worth $223 but in a ten second search on eBay I can see a recent boxed copy sold for $300. So which is it? The video claims that Motocross Racer is worth $163 but the most recent one on eBay sold for $75. Again, the video claims Chuck Norris is currently worth $158 but the most recent eBay sale was $324. It took me less than 3 minutes to research all of these current prices. And let's be honest, those prices could be completely outdated in a few months anyway.  

My other issue about the video is that it is titled "25 Most Valuable ColecoVision Games" yet there is a picture of a Mr. Do! cartridge on the thumbnail:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.97a20a32bfe6588a0facb4f3376ac79b.jpg

Mr, Do! is totally common game and not even on your list of the top 25 most valuable games.  Given that is the very first thing we see about the video, how are we expected to take it seriously? (For your Intellivision video you used Burgertime in the thumbnail, yet another not valuable game and one that doesn't appear in that video either.)  Your videos just seem like poorly researched clickbait.  

On a positive note, the list of games included is not "bad" it's just not complete and the pricing doesn't seem totally accurate. 

But really, what I don't understand is this is now the THIRD video like this you've made, and the other two were met with the exact same feedback I'm giving you now, so why didn't you USE THIS FORUM as a resource? I can see you've been an AtariAge forum member for well over a year, so a simple thread asking "Hey guys, what are the most rare and valuable ColecoVision games?  I'm working on a video regarding this subject" and I assure you that your data would have been far more accurate than going to "rarityguide" or "pricecharting" for reference, which people have told you in those other threads was a mistake as well. 

I'm sorry, I just feel video like this don't really HELP the community or collectors at all and if anything it gives people an unrealistic idea of what the value of something may or may not be.

That's my feedback that you asked for and I'm just being completely honest here. Hope it helps. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TPR said:

Well, since you asked for feedback... 

I'm sorry but I'm just not a fan of videos like this. It would appear that the creator actually knows very little about the ColecoVision. Games like Meteoric Shower, which is probably the most difficult game to find a loose cart of, let alone a boxed copy, isn't even on the list. And other titles like Super Sketch, another one of the most expensive and hard to find games, is also not on this list.  I can see from the other videos you have made about Atari and Intellivision that other people also gave you the same feedback about those videos a well, but it would appear you didn't listen to any of it?  While you claim this may not be about "the most rare games" in those threads, then what exactly is it?  I mean, a title like Meteoric Shower and Super Sketch are going to be two of the most rare AND most valuable, yet missing from your video just makes this seem very amateur. 

Anyone who would have done slightly more research would know this, since there is even a "rarity guides" published IN THIS FORUM made by ColecoVision enthusiasts, maybe that would have been a better start to your research rather than going to some book in 2002 which is going to be completely and totally out of date, or a site like Price Charting, which I personally find to be a LAUGHABLE resource for actual going prices of games, but that's just my opinion. 

IMO... Using a reference from 2002, which appears to already have erroneous information, to base your video off of to make a video TODAY, just seems like a really bad decision. I mean, your book said Word Feud was nearly $700 in 2002???  That seems very unlikely and questionable.  

The video is also confusing. It doesn't really seem to be clear if the prices are all complete in box or loose carts. Sometimes he says a "boxed copy" sometimes he doesn't.

And even still, let's assume the pries are just boxed copies, he claims a game like Q*Berts Qubes is currently worth $223 but in a ten second search on eBay I can see a recent boxed copy sold for $300. So which is it? The video claims that Motocross Racer is worth $163 but the most recent one on eBay sold for $75. Again, the video claims Chuck Norris is currently worth $158 but the most recent eBay sale was $324. It took me less than 3 minutes to research all of these current prices. And let's be honest, those prices could be completely outdated in a few months anyway.  

My other issue about the video is that it is titled "25 Most Valuable ColecoVision Games" yet there is a picture of a Mr. Do! cartridge on the thumbnail:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.97a20a32bfe6588a0facb4f3376ac79b.jpg

Mr, Do! is totally common game and not even on your list of the top 25 most valuable games.  Given that is the very first thing we see about the video, how are we expected to take it seriously? (For your Intellivision video you used Burgertime in the thumbnail, yet another not valuable game and one that doesn't appear in that video either.)  Your videos just seem like poorly researched clickbait.  

On a positive note, the list of games included is not "bad" it's just not complete and the pricing doesn't seem totally accurate. 

But really, what I don't understand is this is now the THIRD video like this you've made, and the other two were met with the exact same feedback I'm giving you now, so why didn't you USE THIS FORUM as a resource? I can see you've been an AtariAge forum member for well over a year, so a simple thread asking "Hey guys, what are the most rare and valuable ColecoVision games?  I'm working on a video regarding this subject" and I assure you that your data would have been far more accurate than going to "rarityguide" or "pricecharting" for reference, which people have told you in those other threads was a mistake as well. 

I'm sorry, I just feel video like this don't really HELP the community or collectors at all and if anything it gives people an unrealistic idea of what the value of something may or may not be.

That's my feedback that you asked for and I'm just being completely honest here. Hope it helps. 

Hi. I appreciate the feedback. I just want to start by saying that this was not a “most rare games” video. So any “more rare” games that were not included were due to the fact that that was not the subject of the video.

Secondly, I did not ask for anyones input because i was trying to avoid a situation exactly like this where someone says “this is just your opinion”. I chose to use a contemporary source for the 2002 and then to compare that to modern prices via price charting.

any missing titles was due to a limitation in the data sets .  I made my sources very clear and at no point presented myself as an expert.

I am just a retro game fan who has an old price guide.

As you say i have responded like this to other commentary. In the future perhaps i will make a “most rare” series and will come back for input.  But that was not the thesis of these videos. 

I will have about six more of those and they will all be the same. prices from the 2002 price guide compared to price charting.

in my opinion that is the most objective way to do it. 

i truly do appreciate all of your comments.  I am a collector, but not at the same level as you and I certainly would defer to you knowledge and would be happy to include your insight in a future video that expressly discusses rarity and sites atari age as a source.

also, the thumbnail with common games is just because that is what i have on hand. i like burger time…and don’t own a copy of meteorites.

OK, well, I appreciate the response, I guess, even though you didn't really seem to appreciate the feedback.

22 minutes ago, teknohed said:

I just want to start by saying that this was not a “most rare games” video. So any “more rare” games that were not included were due to the fact that that was not the subject of the video.

That doesn't even make sense.  The two games I referenced would not only be the most rare but ALSO would be the most valuable.  So I don't really get the logic of what you're saying here.  I'm not sure you get it either. If you did, this wouldn't be an argument point for you. 

IMO your video was poorly researched clickbait.  You can call out as many "excuses" as you'd like, but when I'm not the first person to give you the same feedback and you keep making the same videos after other people have told you the same things, it's clear to me you're just making clickbait videos and don't really want, or know how to process feedback, especially since you specifically asked for it.

Sooo... if you didn't want to hear what people thought, and were just going to argue it, why did you ask for it?

I will not be wasting my time with any of your future videos. 

22 minutes ago, teknohed said:

also, the thumbnail with common games is just because that is what i have on hand. i like burger time…and don’t own a copy of meteorites.

It's Meteoric Shower.  Again, had you actually read or paid attention to the post I made above you would know this.  But clearly you don't seem to actually put any effort or attention to detail into anything you do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TPR said:

OK, well, I appreciate the response.  IMO your video was poorly researched clickbait.  You can call out as many "excuses" as you'd like, but when I'm not the first person to give you the same feedback and you keep making the same videos after other people have told you the same things, it's clear to me you're just making clickbait videos and don't really want, or know how to process feedback, especially since you specifically asked for it.

Sooo... if you didn't want to hear what people thought, and were just going to argue it, why did you ask for it?

I will not be wasting my time with any of your future videos. 

It's Meteoric Shower.  Again, had you actually read or paid attention to the post I made above you would know this.  But clearly you don't seem to actually put any effort or attention to detail into anything you do. 

OK.  well thanks for taking the time to critique it. Guess i have a lot to work on. 

Just now, teknohed said:

OK.  well thanks for taking the time to critique it. Guess i have a lot to work on. 

Next time, just do some super basic research and use forums like this as a resource instead of an audience base to spam a link for your videos.  That's all you needed to do. Seriously... 

2 minutes ago, TPR said:

Next time, just do some super basic research and use forums like this as a resource instead of an audience base to spam a link for your videos.  That's all you needed to do. Seriously... 

copy that. I would honestly love to make follow up videos and highlight rarities and ephemera from

collectors here.  Making the focus the rarity of the various classic systems. highlighting the knowledge and expertise and share it with people, such as myself who are not as versed in the minute details of each systems library.

For the rest of these series i will add an additional minute to the intro explaining exactly why i am trying to accomplish, detail my sources, clarify that it is not about rarity, and hopefully avoid any confusion or the semblance of me making these videos for any reason other than my own love of retro games and my own curiosity.

1 hour ago, teknohed said:

clarify that it is not about rarity

Yes, because it really doesn't seem clear.  I'm not exactly sure how you wind up with a list of the "most valuable" without including the "most rare" because those, in theory, are also the most valuable.  And just because they are omitted in whatever book from 2002 you have, doesn't mean those titles shouldn't be listed in a video you're making in 2022.  Again, my two examples above, SHOULD be in your video if you really are making a list of the "25 Most Valuable ColecoVision Games."  But if this isn't the kind of feedback you're looking for, just ignore it and carry on... 

• Like 2

Not to be a huge critic, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least do basic research on the console and/or games so that the video is factually accurate, why would someone want to watch that?

There is so much misinformation about so many things already and people read/see it and then they too spread the disinformation.  

I notice you say you have a lot of work to do for your videos, that is an understatement....I can't watch these types of things, especially since it does appear you made similar videos about other systems with similar critiques, yet still put out similar stuff only now for the Colecovision.  Man not a fan, sorry!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TPR said:

Yes, because it really doesn't seem clear.  I'm not exactly sure how you wind up with a list of the "most valuable" without including the "most rare" because those, in theory, are also the most valuable.  And just because they are omitted in whatever book from 2002 you have, doesn't mean those titles shouldn't be listed in a video you're making again.  Again, my two examples above, SHOULD be in your video if you really are making a list of the "25 Most Valuable ColecoVision Games."  But if this isn't the kind of feedback you're looking for, just ignore it and carry on... 

Yup. I get it. At the risk of making an excuse, I did not want to include a price for a game I didn't have a reference for, but there is no reason I couldn't cite a specific atari age forum member for assistance with research, just as easily as citing Billy Galaxy. 

1 minute ago, lawdawg710 said:

Not to be a huge critic, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least do basic research on the console and/or games so that the video is factually accurate, why would someone want to watch that?

There is so much misinformation about so many things already and people read/see it and then they too spread the disinformation.  

I notice you say you have a lot of work to do for your videos, that is an understatement....I can't watch these types of things, especially since it does appear you made similar videos about other systems with similar critiues, yet still put out similar stuff only now for the Colecovision.  Man not a fan, sorry!!

OK. Well, thanks for watching. Sorry it wasn't for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted my latest video for the odyssey 2 and so far the feedback has been much better than it was here. I really tried to include the feedback of the Atari Age Forum memebers. I didn't really change anything about the thesis of my video, which was to compare one specific price guide to now. I did update the 2002 prices so they are adjusted for inflation. Thanks to you all for helping me make this series better. 

Edited by teknohed
  • Like 2