IGNORED

there are now as many days between the launch of the Atari 2600 and the PS2...

dudeguy

...  as there are days between the PS2 launch and today. 8,211 days.

It's a weird feeling  I remember in the 90s, thinking the Atari was ancient. Now in 2022, I think of the PS2 as "that system I was buying games brand new for at Target a few years ago."

Time really does go by quickly when youre an adult

• Like 6

It's like a 6502 would think a Pentium II is fast. But an i9 would think the Pentium II is slow.

Your brain is slowing down, so the world seems to speed up. At moment of death there is a blast of uncoordinated activity that is like a 0Hz short circuit. And the rest of the world speeds past you.

TRVIA:

Brain speed is between 0.5Hz and 30MHz, depending on the area.

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's like a 6502 would think a Pentium II is fast. But an i9 would think the Pentium II is slow.

Your brain is slowing down, so the world seems to speed up. At moment of death there is a blast of uncoordinated activity that is like a 0Hz short circuit. And the rest of the world speeds past you.

TRVIA:

Brain speed is between 0.5Hz and 30MHz, depending on the area.

Hey!  My brain isn't slowing down!  If anything it's...It's...ummm,   By God it's...Hmmm...Can't think of the word.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, dudeguy said:

...  as there are days between the PS2 launch and today. 8,211 days.

It's a weird feeling  I remember in the 90s, thinking the Atari was ancient. Now in 2022, I think of the PS2 as "that system I was buying games brand new for at Target a few years ago."

Time really does go by quickly when youre an adult

Oh yeah, time goes by real damn fast as an adult.  Also, goes to show the vast amounts of improvements in gaming from the 2600 days to the PS2 era than from the PS2 to now imo.

• Like 2

I feel that technology and fashion trends have really been at a standstill for about 15 years or so. I mean, a 15 year old game really doesnt look much worse than a game made today. and as far as fashion goes and hairstyles, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s have a "look" but is anyone ever gonna say "hey lets have a 2010s themed party" in the 2030s? i kind of doubt it.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The years between the 2600 & PSX had lots of technological advances between each generation which is why the games looked different and unique on each console.

Starting from the PS2 onward, it's the same style of modern 3D graphics but the only difference is display resolution (SD, HD, 4K) and increased processor power just to have more detailed looking models.  Between remasters & even backwards compatiblity, the games just look and play the same way now as they had back then.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The PS2 had still quite alot of releases in 2010 (last release was in 2013). It could be argued that gaming hasn't progressed all that much since then.

Comparing the 2600 to games like tokyo xtreme racer zero, however, that is a huge leap.

In a way time is moving much slower in terms of progression. If we are going nowhere when  it comes to innovation, time might as well be at a standstill. By this logic we might be able to time travel backwards when we are begining to regress in a substancial manner. I expect this to happen any day now, we are almost there. We need to tell sega to put a DVD player in the dreamcast. The timevortex is opening, we must go!

Edited by Creamhoven
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:40 PM, Madwindoman said:

I just watched the first ace Ventura with my 7 year old daughter. Is that the same as when my dad would force me to watch the Lone Ranger with him?

If you had to restrain her to prevent her from leaving, then yes. :)

I just recently watched the first episode of Lone Ranger. I thought I would give it a go as I like Bonanza. But it was no good. I like the intro, though. Some day I will test Gunsmoke too.

Maybe she will like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. It is pretty good for adults too. You might see if she likes Care Bears also.

15 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

If you had to restrain her to prevent her from leaving, then yes. :)

I just recently watched the first episode of Lone Ranger. I thought I would give it a go as I like Bonanza. But it was no good. I like the intro, though. Some day I will test Gunsmoke too.

Maybe she will like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. It is pretty good for adults too. You might see if she likes Care Bears also.

Did you watch the episode where he became the Lone Ranger? If I remember correctly he was part of the Texas rangers and they were ambushed by the Butch Cavindish gang. They were all killed and he was left for dead. Then tonto found him and nursed him back to health

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Madwindoman said:

Did you watch the episode where he became the Lone Ranger? If I remember correctly he was part of the Texas rangers and they were ambushed by the Butch Cavindish gang. They were all killed and he was left for dead. Then tonto found him and nursed him back to health

Exactamundo.

• Like 1