IGNORED

1st Series Atari XP ROM Discussion: Aquaventure, Saboteur, Yars' Return

Mockduck

Here's gameplay only footage of the AA cart, XP LE cart, VCS standalone and VCS Vault version.  As I said above, the AA cart, XP LE cart and VCS standalone versions appear to all use the final build of the game. The Vault 2 looks like the 9/2/1983 version of the ROM.   The cartridge footage was captured using my LHE modded 7800.  This accounts for the slightly lower audio in one channel.  The LE cart wouldn't fit my UAV modded 7800 (daily driver). 

IMHO, the VCS standalone is easiest to play due to the controller.  The XP LE version gets the nod for looking awesome. 

• Like 3

All that remains to be seen is if Yars' Return has any differences to the original prototype.

ATARI should've just released these individually, and made updates/enhancements to all of them.

Yars' Return is a prime example of what ATARI XP could be, and making these available to VCS owners through the store would be excellent for the VCS.

I'd personally like to see ATARI XP offering 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar games.

It would also be great if ATARI allowed indie developers to sell roms on the VCS store.

I'd like to see things like the 7800 Froggo games, with enhanced colour and graphics, pokey/custom audio, and possibly extra content if feasible.

For the 2600, games such as the Supercharger software, the Konami games, and other rare titles would sell to me better than re-issues of exsisting games.

Hopefully ATARI will add the Eclipse Engine to the VCS for native Jaguar emulation, and then release roms to buy on the VCS store.

New games would also be excellent too.

• Like 2

I'd be happy if ATARI remastered its 7800 I.P for ATARI XP.
If ATARI improved the presentation, graphics, broken game-mechanics and level-design, and added Pokey/custom in-game music and effects I'd happily buy them.
If they're offered as roms on the VCS store it would be a day-one purchase.

Dark Chambers - Add cut-scenes, Pokey/custom audio, and perhaps extra-content.

Fatal Run - improve the graphics, add more detail to the sprites, add more road-side detail, and improve the colour use. Pokey/custom in-game music.

Scrapyard Dog - fix any broken level-design, add Pokey/custom in-game music, improved box-art.

Planet Smashers - change title-screen, improve sprites. Improve backgrounds, adding more scenery and scrolling effects. 
Add presentation with the inclusion of cut-scenes for level-intermissions, intro, and ending. 
Add Pokey/custom in-game music.

The original roms could also be included on the cart, and the roms made available on the VCS.

Edited by Gunther

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, brilliancenp said:

Does anyone know ow what happened on the initial run of xp carts?  I got mine a couple months ago but just got a replacement cart in the mail saying they were 'un satisfied' with the quality

The PCBs in the Standard Editions were flipped so couldn't run on original hardware. There were also some text errors and missing pages from the manuals. A few laminates were of poor quality on the SE carts as well. Finally, while Atari XP didn't address it, worth noting that the thick plastic shrink wrap was put on way too tight on seemingly most boxes, causing warping that you don't want to keep around. 

• 11 months later...