IGNORED

Dragonwood - little game for the Atari 8 bitters

Steril707

34 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

@Gunstar  I'm also a big Jay Miner fan, love any of the machines he and his team worked on, regardless of the brand!!

:thumbsup:

It's all about the creators. Not about who mass produces their creations. Do you choose your favorite movies, music and games based on what company published the creations? I'd not have ever heard many of the albums and songs from my favorite artist Rush, if it was Mercury records I was a fan of ( just think about being fan of only the artists that Mercury records published content for, seems quite ridiculous, doesn't it?), as they changed producers and publishing companies many times over the years. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

On 9/7/2022 at 8:19 PM, Steril707 said:

image.thumb.png.85e5f5849922d4aacf4de809c1bdd0e7.png

Nothing spectacular. Just lightened up the grey a bit. Looks much better now, imo.

This looks really beautiful!

Have you considered twiddling the GPRIOR bits to create 3 colour PMG to eliminate the transparent "dark parts" of your sprites?

sTeVE

• Like 2

One of the things I always loved about the Flashback game, (the sequel in many respects to Another World), was the level design and clever use of a faided jungle background to give the illusion of depth:

Flashback Longplay (Amiga) [50 FPS] - YouTube

Incidentally I had a go at a Rastaconverted image at last year or so just for fun:

Obviously wouldn't be possible in an 8-Bit platform game given the level of CPU cycles and PMGs that are being used to display it.... but looks nice notheless.:D

Version using PMGs:

image.thumb.png.10b316fae37569e17384d14681be0f0e.png     

filename: FlashbackDEVIANTEDIT2smincomplete14.xex

Version with no PMGs used up:

image.thumb.png.15a841ab5024455be6802003c2a78396.png

filename: Flashback2smincomplete7.xex                                                                                                                                                       

Flashback2smincomplete7.xex

FlashbackDEVIANTEDIT2smincomplete14.xex

Reason I am using these as examples is I like Dragonwood's clever use of the rich 3 tone colours in the forground and simple but effective background colours so far.

Perhaps with some more cleverly utilised DLIs some great varied horizontal sky effects could be pulled in? Or some dark water colours at the bottom.

The Atari game Flob does the same with it's limited pallete and it works extremely well. PMGs are also used to colour things like switches to give extra colour:

Indie Retro News: FloB - A great Atari XL/XE game from Bocianu and team  gets a release  FloB | bocianu.atari.pl   FloB | bocianu.atari.pl  

Keep up the good work as and when you return to this - post Amiga game coding of course. :D

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Have you considered twiddling the GPRIOR bits to create 3 colour PMG to eliminate the transparent "dark parts" of your sprites?

sTeVE

Interesting idea. 

Do you have a link to a page explaining this a bit more?

edit: Nevermind, found it: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=GPRIOR

Great, that might solve a few problems I had with having not enough sprites at disposal.

edit2: what will that 3rd overlap color be? Just some random shit? Or can I define that somewhere?

edit3: experimented a bit. Seems the colors get "added" unto another and always produce a brighter one. Not easy in my case to have that contrast between face and dark robes, I guess. But better than to have those transparent lines in between color areas.

Colored the teleporter gates a bit. (and speeded up the little mage a bit as well, as wished by Beeblebrox... :D Took me too long a time to get to the second screen for making a screenshot.. )
image.thumb.png.6919927f288880a0b30d7d47e98a0b68.png

Should work on my "bigger" project, but I just love to pixel A8 stuff currently. Did some mockups for other games as well.

Maybe an arcade port mockup thread would be a fun idea, if that doesn't exist already.

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Steril707 said:

edit3: experimented a bit. Seems the colors get "added" unto another and always produce a brighter one. Not easy in my case to have that contrast between face and dark robes, I guess. But better than to have those transparent lines in between color areas.

The third colour is just an OR of the two PM colours, e.g:

image.png.a8035aab3329e2eef569a9e5cab969b8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steril707 said:

edit2: what will that 3rd overlap color be? Just some random shit? Or can I define that somewhere?

Looks like you got a load of replies about the how to and what to expect 🙂

sTeVE

• Like 1

It looks like your face color is currently 3C. This would limit you to only using colors 1, 2 and 3 which would limits you to the red/gold colors. You'll need one of them with a luminance of 8+ to reach C for the face so you can't have a shadowy two color robe.

If you went with FC for the face and a 74 robe you could have a third color of any of the colors 8-F in luminance 8 or C.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

One of the things I always loved about the Flashback game, (the sequel in many respects to Another World), was the level design and clever use of a faided jungle background to give the illusion of depth:

but looks nice notheless.:D

Version using PMGs:

image.thumb.png.10b316fae37569e17384d14681be0f0e.png     

Beebs, that looks horrible..: :D

Imo taking a screenshot from a more capable platform's top games and converting them over directly is exactly the wrong way to tackle an A8 project. 

But YMMV, of course... ;)

• Haha 1

@Steril707  ah heh heh, it was a very early rastaconverter run that never completed as per the title.  I never used a mask on the conversion either hence the lines in between, etc. 

I would have another stab at it but prob not worth it. 

Rastaconverter is amazing and for static graphic adventure ganes it would be amazing. 

If you have not checked out Rastaconverter see link in my signature. Some amazing images coming out of the forum over the years. 

I posted the flashback rasta image completely incidentally whilst posting the Amiga Flashback image, as I had it to hand. Again I wasn't suggesting taking graphics/an image directly from another platform to convert in a working platform game in this instance. :) The inclusion of the flashback image was basically to illustrate the background effect showing the jungle foliage single colour sillouettes to create depth onscreen.  As you are doing in Dragonwood with the grey background colours. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

23 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

sTeVE

And there he is...!

image.thumb.png.1a59e9a00642692bebf64f2bd9881ffb.png

Thanks for the advice, Steve... :)

1696698782_Bildschirmfoto2022-09-13um17_52_47.thumb.png.a1cf8d13bc077e3bbb5ef9a1c822855d.png

Looks even good in front of the tree now... :D

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 20

• 2 months later...

Damn, it's been over two months now already again.

Just started to clean up my code for the game, and put everything into its separate files where it belongs instead of having a big mess..

Also enhanced the second screen a bit.

Will be only working over the next two weeks on this, so let's see how far I come ( getting a bit tired of only showing the same screen off :D ).. 

2015973563_Bildschirmfoto2022-11-17um20_27_24.thumb.png.50885394a0e75721b8e89f30cde7186e.png

and on my little A600... ;)

d5f40478-60f3-4146-a431-0589a4429f2a.thumb.jpeg.fec6ca39f3a584cbb8c2416ebea8db81.jpeg

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wanted to create a little demo of the game till christmas.

Then I noticed I won't get real gameplay done till then, decided to do a shrinked down christmas themed version with only a few gameplay elements. 

But then Flu struck me down last week, and now I don't have enough time left to finish it. Shit.

Remind me next year about it... ;)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Steril707 said:

Wanted to create a little demo of the game till christmas.

Then I noticed I won't get real gameplay done till then, decided to do a shrinked down christmas themed version with only a few gameplay elements. 

But then Flu struck me down last week, and now I don't have enough time left to finish it. Shit.

Remind me next year about it... ;)

Clearly this has happened so you can have a whole year to do the complete 'Til Christmas Game. This will serve as a Christmas Card letting us know what we will be getting in the future ;)

• Like 2