IGNORED

I do not know if all TI's are welcome here or where I should post but...

wbart84

Welcome! TIPC is welcome here—where else are you going to find fans? (I used one in 1985.)

Can you identify the 8088 CPU in it? It looks like it has cards for disk controller, something, video card, two serial cards. 

I don’t know what Pegasus meant. You might have a prototype there?

• Like 2

Project Pegasus was the code name TI used for the development of the TI PC. The name showed up several times in the IUG newsletters and Enthusiast 99 magazines.

As it includes both the project name and the Eng. Model identification on the identification plate, it is most likely a prototype of the system--and note also the serial number: EM00081 (Engineering Model 00081), so this one is likely a mid-stream prototype. It is definitely an interesting find.

• Like 3

Sorry for the non-response.  Was stuck Doing OT at work

I did power it on using standard household power after cleaning the inside a bit.  I will be the first to say that I am not the one qualified to restore this system.  It outputted garbage to the monitor, but it did power-up.  I mostly focus on vintage apple/ atari and this thing is massive.

The Person that I got this from had a brother that worked at TI.  He was involved in the development of the TI Professional.  

Thank you all for your input and I am happy that I shared this find with people that appreciated it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wbart84 said:

Sorry for the non-response.  Was stuck Doing OT at work

I did power it on using standard household power after cleaning the inside a bit.  I will be the first to say that I am not the one qualified to restore this system.  It outputted garbage to the monitor, but it did power-up.  I mostly focus on vintage apple/ atari and this thing is massive.

The Person that I got this from had a brother that worked at TI.  He was involved in the development of the TI Professional.  

Thank you all for your input and I am happy that I shared this find with people that appreciated it.

Garbage is likely either dirty contacts on the cards OR bad ram.. could be power issues also.. 

If you aren't up to troubleshooting it I'd be interested in looking at it.. send me a PM    I have two desktop and one luggable TI pro here already and can always look at it.

Greg

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 1:58 PM, jbdigriz said:

Yep, nice find.

Is that PSU is really a 220V AC input? Might want to be sure about that.

Maybe that is why I cannot get a display out of it?  I only plugged it into a standard outlet, it turned on.  But did not show picture

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, FarmerPotato said:

Welcome! TIPC is welcome here—where else are you going to find fans? (I used one in 1985.)

Can you identify the 8088 CPU in it? It looks like it has cards for disk controller, something, video card, two serial cards. 

I don’t know what Pegasus meant. You might have a prototype there?

I know that it was an engineers at TI.  The person I got it from was fairly sure that he was responsible for the development of the professional.  Thank you for ID of most of the cards, I have been looking for the CPU but do not know if I want to disassemble yet.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:31 AM, Ksarul said:

Project Pegasus was the code name TI used for the development of the TI PC. The name showed up several times in the IUG newsletters and Enthusiast 99 magazines.

As it includes both the project name and the Eng. Model identification on the identification plate, it is most likely a prototype of the system--and note also the serial number: EM00081 (Engineering Model 00081), so this one is likely a mid-stream prototype. It is definitely an interesting find.

Thank you for the info.  I will look up the Magazines, I was truly at a loss trying to do research on this.  It seems to be forgotten to time.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, Duewester said:

Me personally, I'd strip it down, clean it, look for a battery (and any potential leak issues), check the power supply output and then start to install cards.

Some contact cleaner and/or IPA might come in handy.

OBTW, nice find.

Thank you.  I am debating on if I should be the one to take it apart or sell it as is, there is a few things that I want for my atari collection that I have been eyeing for a while.  Nothing against TI, I have had so much fun researching and discovering about this.  But I do not have the room to start another collection and I know it will.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wbart84 said:

Maybe that is why I cannot get a display out of it?  I only plugged it into a standard outlet, it turned on.  But did not show picture

15 hours ago, wbart84 said:

Yeah, maybe, I've run across standard PC's that do that and won't boot when switched to 220V input and plugged into 110. One time that was somebody trying to be slick pulling a Mopar Mechanic Challenge on me, but that's a story for another time. No unrecoverable damage done, but you'll likely see some disk corruption. The other way 'round, 220 into 110, you definitely DON'T want to do, likely to let the magic smoke out. You could pull the PS and see what it says, but my suggestion is just to go ahead and flip it to someone who knows how to repair, refurbish, and get it booting. I would say "or for parts to get another one working", but prototypes are fairly unique and document product development, so not that.

There may be software or source codes of interest to TIPC collectors or archivists on the hard disk. So, further experimentation is not advised if you want to retain the value of the machine. Get a beige wall '90s or '00s PC for that. PM me if you're interested, I have a goodly number of those, although they're common enough everywhere.  If you want to do anything further with the TIPC yourself, there is plenty of documentation and software on bitsavers, archive.org, and some other sites. Feel free ask more questions here. Moderators: time to make a new subforum for TIPC, TIPPC, Pro Lite? TI laptops? The Intel and Motorola based Unix Business Systems? And, dare I say it, the Explorers?

It wasn't completely IBM compatible, but there were a number of interesting add-in cards for the TIPC, like the telephony board with speech recognition, which was quite advanced on a personal computer for the time, the Ten X 990 coprocessor boards, etc. Arguably a better machine than the IBM PC or XT.

Good luck with it,

jbdigriz

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope @wbart84 is still following this topic.

I can't afford a new toothbrush at the moment, but it was most disheartening to see this system show up in my Ebay search results this AM, split into three separate auctions for the computer, monitor, and keyboard. I do see make offer enabled, and I hope you would consider offers for the whole system together. You are able to relist it that way if someone makes a decent offer. Yes, it'd be a pain deleting the other three. So is having to bid in 3 different auctions. Bear in mind our time and effort is worth at least as much to us as your profit is to you. You really don't want to alienate your potential customers. They might start showing up in droves at the same estate sales you patronize. Goodbye 10x+ windfalls on $25 auction buys, eh?

Look, I know you're running a business, and I know Ebay encourages this destructive practice that reduces the utility and historical  value to enthusiasts of the goods sold there. I won't even get into the excesses of the keyboard nuts in this regard that Ebay has wildly inflamed and that you're encouraging here. I'm willing to consider that you could have had a genuine interest in possibly keeping this for yourself and getting the glory from the TIPC crowd if you found development source codes for the BIOS or TI's version of MS-DOS on those ST225's, or if there was any noteworthyTI history there. You'd probably get more help here diagnosing your video issue (Probably a bad cap or resistor in the vertical hold on the monitor circuit board, but maybe the video card in the PC.) in that case, but frankly it looks more like you were soliciting free market research under false pretenses.

Dude, that is not a good look.

I hope my remarks are helpful,

Sincerely,

jbdigriz

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, jbdigriz said:

I hope @wbart84 is still following this topic.

I can't afford a new toothbrush at the moment, but it was most disheartening to see this system show up in my Ebay search results this AM, split into three separate auctions for the computer, monitor, and keyboard. I do see make offer enabled, and I hope you would consider offers for the whole system together. You are able to relist it that way if someone makes a decent offer. Yes, it'd be a pain deleting the other three. So is having to bid in 3 different auctions. Bear in mind our time and effort is worth at least as much to us as your profit is to you. You really don't want to alienate your potential customers. They might start showing up in droves at the same estate sales you patronize. Goodbye 10x+ windfalls on $25 auction buys, eh?

Look, I know you're running a business, and I know Ebay encourages this destructive practice that reduces the utility and historical  value to enthusiasts of the goods sold there. I won't even get into the excesses of the keyboard nuts in this regard that Ebay has wildly inflamed and that you're encouraging here. I'm willing to consider that you could have had a genuine interest in possibly keeping this for yourself and getting the glory from the TIPC crowd if you found development source codes for the BIOS or TI's version of MS-DOS on those ST225's, or if there was any noteworthyTI history there. You'd probably get more help here diagnosing your video issue (Probably a bad cap or resistor in the vertical hold on the monitor circuit board, but maybe the video card in the PC.) in that case, but frankly it looks more like you were soliciting free market research under false pretenses.

Dude, that is not a good look.

I hope my remarks are helpful,

Sincerely,

jbdigriz

I would love to list the entire thing as one unit.  That was my original intention, But Ebay does not allow multiple boxes in one order for calculated.  So it is either break up the listing, or charge the maximum amount that it could cost for shipping all 3.  It is a lose-lose situation.  I live in a small apartment and honestly do not trust myself on repairing this item.  I purchased it from the brother of the engineer that is currently in an assisted living facility and has no cognitive functions left.  A friend of a friend connected us and they said that they were going to throw it in the garbage and just sell the apple computers because they could find those on eBay.  I know the connotations that go along with being an Ebay seller because of the time that we live in.  I had a blast talking to you guys about it and learning about it, but I do not have the space for it and I overpaid for it because I wanted to help the family out.  I purchased everything from them.  Untested.  I did not lowball, I did not even negotiate.  I only had a real interest in one item.  But now I do not have a living room because of the space that this takes up.  I run an Ebay store as a side job and do not take it too serious.  Feel free to hate me, but I did enjoy talking to everyone here.  

It is a video card in the computer by the way.

Gotcha, and don't hate, not you. I appreciate the effort you're making here, too. Ebay's sometimes poorly concieved and implemented policies frustrate us all with some frequency. There is a workaround.  If you get a solid offer, you can make a separate listing after calculating the shipping, with a fixed cost in the listing. I've worked with sellers before this way, They notified me when they posted the listing, I promptly made the purchase, and they shipped it on out. International shipping was involved, too. As long as you do your comms through Ebay, there's no problem.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh, and I appreciate your willingness to explain. Just hope you don't get too frustrated and discouraged, as I was in danger of becoming. 🙂  I appreciate the reply, and again, the effort.

Yeah, looks like maybe bad RAM or contacts on the video card, now that I look at it again, as someone else mentioned.

Good luck with it,

jbdigriz

1 minute ago, jbdigriz said:

Gotcha, and don't hate, not you. I appreciate the effort you're making here, too. Ebay's sometimes poorly concieved and implemented policies frustrate us all with some frequency. There is a workaround.  If you get a solid offer, you can make a separate listing after calculating the shipping, with a fixed cost in the listing. I've worked with sellers before this way, They notified me when they posted the listing, I promptly made the purchase, and they shipped it on out. International shipping was involved, too. As long as you do your comms through Ebay, there's no problem.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh, and I appreciate your willingness to explain. Just hope you don't get too frustrated and discouraged, as I was in danger of becoming. 🙂  I appreciate the reply, and again, the effort.

Yeah, looks like maybe bad RAM or contacts on the video card, now that I look at it again, as someone else mentioned.

Good luck with it,

jbdigriz

I am more than willing to work with any buyer, I have thrown free monitor cables in, I have driven across the state to deliver personally to ensure that something gets there that is fragile.  Sorry if I came off as harsh as well.  I have to deal with a lot of hatemail on eBay and get quite defensive at times.  Thank you for everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/29/2022 at 10:07 AM, FarmerPotato said:

Welcome! TIPC is welcome here—where else are you going to find fans? (I used one in 1985).

TIPC power supply started sparking without failing.

I found a replacement for this part.

Notice the prong coming off the top fuse holder pin touching component.

IMG_20231031_121218278_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231031_121228894_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20231031-122141.png

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2