IGNORED

Issue with PEB Causing Monitor Interference

Ken Fitz

Hello,

I purchased a PEB a couple of months ago. It has a strange intermittent issue with interference on the video and humming in the audio. To reproduce the issue, I simply plug the Flex cable interface into the side car port and plug the PEB into the wall socket and I experience the interference. Powering it on and off has no effect. If I unplug the PEB from the wall, the the hum and interference go away. I have 4 TI's and it does this on all of them. I tried replacing the Flex Cable Interface, but it does the same thing with the second one I purchased. Now I have been lucky a few times and it works fine and might continue to work the next couple of times I use it. Then out of the blue, it starts up with the interference again.

I am wondering if maybe the power supply has something loose? Or perhaps something else in the house is causing some kind of noise or interference on the circuit. I haven't taken it apart yet, just researching possible issues, but I haven't seen any threads anywhere describing this issue. Here is a link to a Youtube video I made showing the issue: 

Thanks!

What type of monitor are you using?

...My first guess would be an issue of the monitor and PEB having a grounding conflict of some kind, or being powered from different legs of your homes A.C. distribution system. Perhaps something else plugged into the monitor is injecting or draining current. Best to hunt for the intermittency first, as this could lead to the discovery of a more serious issue! Usually it's best to power all these items from a central single-phase power-strip in order to avoid odd conflicts.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

What type of monitor are you using?

...My first guess would be an issue of the monitor and PEB having a grounding conflict of some kind, or being powered from different legs of your homes A.C. distribution system. Perhaps something else plugged into the monitor is injecting or draining current. Best to hunt for the intermittency first, as this could lead to the discovery of a more serious issue! Usually it's best to power all these items from a central single-phase power-strip in order to avoid odd conflicts.

Thank you! I never thought about the monitor being plugged into a different power strip might cause an issue (both power strips are on the same breaker, so I didn't really think of that). I just tested out plugging the monitor, PEB, and TI into the same power strip and it seems to be resolved, for now. I'll have to test it over the next few weeks since it has gone away out of the blue in the past, but I have a feeling that fixed my issue, makes total sense. As for my monitor, it's a BenQ Gaming monitor. I have my PC plugged into the one HDMI port and in the other port is my RCA to HDMI converter for the TI display. After reading your comment, I thought perhaps that might be causing an issue as well, but it seems to be fine. Hopefully it is resolved for good. If not, I have a few more ideas now.

Thanks again!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1