IGNORED

Help - FujiNet Flasher - No Serial ports show up

I'm running Windows7.  I *think* my FujiNet is hardware version 1.5.  The firmware is old version:  0.5.bbbb9f96 2021-07-17 23:14:15

1) I am following the instructions from:  https://fujinet.online/download/

2) I downloaded and installed: FujiNet-Flasher_win-x64.zip

3) I downloaded and installed:   the CP210x USB to UART driver which is available from https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

There were several driver versions to download.  Since I am running Windows7 I installed the following:

a) Installed CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe  8/30/2022  from CP210x_Windows_Drivers.zip  (installed this one first)

b) Installed CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe  8/30/2022  from CP210x_Windows_Drivers_with_Serial_Enumeration (installed this one second, no difference)

4) I run the FujiNet-Flasher as Administrator.  Nothing ever appears for 'Serial port:'  I hit the refresh button on the far right.

5) I have tried (without FujiNet-Flasher running) hold down the left-most button on the FujiNet when I plug the USB cable into my Win7 machine, all 3 of the LEDs on the FujiNet stay on solid.  This does not help when I run FujiNet-Flasher... still no Serial port: devices to choose.  Prior to doing this I can point my webbrowser to the FujiNet IP address and connect to it fine... seeing all the settings, etc. (so I know my FujiNet is functioning)

Question:  Is there anyway to tell if the USB to UART driver is working?  Using msconfig.exe I see a 'Service' called 'RunSwUSB' from an 'Unknown' Manufacturer that is 'Running'.  Is this the driver?

Note: when I click on the 'Serial Debug Output' button I get the message: "Unexpected error: No serial port found!"

Also... How do you determine the hardware version of your FujiNet?  I see a 'CPU revision' of '1' in the web menu.   What does that indicate?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

image.thumb.png.06056de310f31bdb33da2424f9b7601c.png

Edited by 800_Rocks
ask another question
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Check Device Manager and see if the CP2102 shows up under USB or Serial Ports (not sure where it should be). Did you try a different cable?

Thanks for the reply.  Nothing obvious in Device Manager.  Second USB cable... no changes.  I actually have a second FujiNet too.  Same results with it.  Still stumped.

image.thumb.png.2b2484abc07fb414772d3cfd9097e3cf.png

I tried reinstalling the USB to UART bridge driver... it runs, you click a couple things... it reports "Silcon Laboratories Inc. (silabser)Ports (06/13/2018 6.7.6.2130) Ready to use"    No changes when I try to flash.  Still no serial ports showing.

Is anyone Flashing FujiNet successfully from Windows7?  Note: the USB to UART bridge driver I am using is old (6/13/2018) but it is the newest one that says it supports Win7

19 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Thanks for the reply.  Nothing obvious in Device Manager.  Second USB cable... no changes.  I actually have a second FujiNet too.  Same results with it.  Still stumped.

If the drivers are installed correctly, the device should appear as a com port in Windows.

You could try booting off a Linux USB disk and flash from there, or try it on another computer. I've got no other ideas. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, Bee said:

Do you have any other computers?  Do you have an android phone?  Do you have anything but Windows 7 OS to work with?

Thanks.  I tried it on a Windows 8.1 system with the exact same bad results (no serial ports show up in the drop down).

On 8/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, David_P said:

When I had a similar issue, I crated a new user on the computer, and somehow logging in as that new user worked for updates.

Thanks. I tried that.  Created a new user on Win7.  Logged in as that user.  Tried the process.  Same bad results.  No Serial Ports show in the Flash drop down.

In Windows 8 Open the device manager.  Then plug the FujiNet in.  Does the device tree refresh?  If so what changed in the tree?  How do you know you have a data cable and not a power cable?  Do you have an android phone to plug in to test the cable?  

Do you have experience with serial ports in Linux? 

Thank you

42 minutes ago, Bee said:

How do you know you have a data cable and not a power cable?

Gosh I'll bet that is my problem..  The cable I'm using is very thin... I bet it is power only.   I will dig-up a known data cable and try that and report back here 😀

YES!!!   Stupid Rookie mistake... I must have been using a power-only cable.  I dug-up a thicker looking cable from an old Android phone and now when I plug-in Fuji-Net on my Win7 machine I get this beautiful message!!

image.png.8cdfd46e13eb5c8d82abe0578ea29328.png

Thank You to all who replied!!

Edited by 800_Rocks
  • Like 1