IGNORED

Anyone ever think of homebrewing a port of Sea Wolf???

BIGHMW

OK,

I finally got caught up for today...

So,

It's 3:08AM and I just played 3 games of Sea Wolf!    This game is Great!    I really do need to put alphabetized folders in my Hack and Homebrews section of the SD card though.   I spent about 10 minutes scrolling through games on Harmony...See, like an idiot I was scrolling backwards which takes longer.  Then I picked the first version which must be PAL because my screen started rolling...So I did it again,  thankfully this time I remembered to scroll forward which is much quicker!

I will likely revisit this tomorrow...once I'm caught up of course :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Just popping in to say that I'm still not playing Sea Wolf today.

I did think about possibly playing SubRoc-3D or Turbo Sub, but have not yet reached a conclusion regarding them.  We are currently 26 minutes away from midnight, so events may change at a moment's notice given the short span of available time to reach a decision.

Rest assured that I will continue to keep the thread in the loop.

Ironically enough I do have a port of Subroc 3D on my ColecoVision SD card and as soon as all of my bills are paid IN FULL then I'll get another Atarimax ColecoVision multicart and maybe try that game out too.

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Just move Left/Right to switch between pages until you get closer to where you know the game is located?

Yep!  That's what I mean.  I went backwards (as S is closer to Z, I figured) by going LEFT, but when you go left on Harmony it seems to Update each page, but scrolling RIGHT moves much quicker just flashing through what's there.  I'd been using other Everdrives more in recent days I guess, which seem to scroll the same speed in either direction...

One of my goals for today (another day off), is to make a Folder for each letter:  Games beginning with A, B, C, and so on...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Yep!  That's what I mean.  I went backwards (as S is closer to Z, I figured) by going LEFT, but when you go left on Harmony it seems to Update each page, but scrolling RIGHT moves much quicker just flashing through what's there.  I'd been using other Everdrives more in recent days I guess, which seem to scroll the same speed in either direction...

One of my goals for today (another day off), is to make a Folder for each letter:  Games beginning with A, B, C, and so on...

Good call on that one, on all of my SD card folders for my multicarts I always made sure to list them according to alphabetical order, all the A's in the A folder and so on down the line all the way down to Z, it makes it a whole hell of a lot easier to find each game, especially when you have hundreds of different titles on each SD card like I do, yes including my 7800 and XEGS SD cards i still have and provided I still bust ass at work and save up that $$$ then and maybe then I just might be able to reacquire the XEGS and 7800 units so I just may possibly bring back The Atari Report in January, we're starting to get this done early as far as getting out of debt is concerned and hopefully by the end of this calendar year we will zero debt, all the bills paid in full and everything acquired we want and everything we don't gotten rid of.  

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 1:22 PM, GoldLeader said:

A periscope controller for Sea Wolf?  LOL!   How about just a Virtual Boy version but maybe with some headpiece mounted Bright LEDs to flash when there's a hit to give you an extra Headache?  Now,  there's something I'd love to play once so I could complain about it afterwards!

Well, I was thinking in terms of dedicated controllers like steering wheels for racing games.  And how some people get serious and buy the pedals, too, and maybe even a stick-shift.  Or how people who are really into flight sims have the yoke and throttle and pedals and other shit.  All made to clamp onto a desk or table.  So I was thinking something like that, clamp it to a table so that it doesn't move around relative to the TV, just swivels.  That's the only way a game like Sea Wolf could work at home as well as the arcade.  And I would reprogram the graphics so that the torpedoes would travel diagonally when the periscope wasn't aimed straight ahead, I always hated how the torpedoes always travelled on straight up/down vertical tracks, they just started more to the left or right, like Space Invaders shots.  Not so obvious looking through the periscope playing the arcade game, but the home video game versions made that real obvious.

On 8/31/2022 at 1:22 PM, GoldLeader said:

@ledzep   Sometimes I read your posts and think This guy's a genius and other times I'm like Here we have a crazy person...Please,  Don't ever change!  is what I'm saying... ;)

Hahaaha, thanks, I think.  I have these thoughts banging around in my head all the time, "fixes" for various problems or scenarios.  Hey, you know what would make that better, X!  That would work if it had Y.  Many are not feasible, of course, or would be too clumsy.  But some would be solid if only I had the money for them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

@ledzep

BTW,

Have you played the homebrew for Atari?  (Technically the homebrew is Seawolf and the Arcade game is Sea Wolf)...I'm honestly hooked on it at this point.  It's Fantastic!  The more I play it,  the more I like it...No periscope required ;)

I don't think I have, no.  I want to see those 1 2 3 4 lights for the torpedoes like you can see inside the periscope for the arcade game.  Stupid, I know, but I miss that arcade game enough.  I won't play a home Lunar Lander without the throttle control, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:28 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Wait, you guys don't organize your ROMs alphabetically? Am I just insanely OCD? (Probably.)

Mine are alphabetical (or at least I believe they really should be haha),  but at the moment,  not all were in Folders A-Z...It kind of depends on which Everdrive, which SD card etc.   (Sometimes I'm organized.) 

Strangely now,  every time I use the Harmony it seems to scroll just fine in either direction,...Maybe that situation I encountered before (where going backwards meant the page was updating slowly each time), was a fluke or a glitch... or only happened because I was in a giant section filled with countless ROMs...HMmmmmmmmm

13 hours ago, ledzep said:

I don't think I have, no.  I want to see those 1 2 3 4 lights for the torpedoes like you can see inside the periscope for the arcade game.  Stupid, I know, but I miss that arcade game enough.  I won't play a home Lunar Lander without the throttle control, either.

The Arcade game was Great!

But this is Fun as Hell too!  The only thing I'm not sure about is if there is a specific way to get that flashing circle thing to appear.  If you shoot it,  it replenishes fuel and torpedoes and the game continues...I don't have the manual so I have no idea if there is some way to make that replenish icon appear or is it random?...OH!  I just read in one of the reviews that if you score 1,000 points one will appear!  

WOO HOO!  Now I know!

mr7b3yqb.gif

PS If you have a Harmony,  try it out!!

PPS and even if you don't!   (snooge)

On 8/31/2022 at 4:49 PM, youxia said:

I'm also a Gooner and it's the first time in years I've been excited about a new season - but my optimism will remain cautious until we play the "big" teams. I've seen Arsenal's wheels come off too many times in recent years

Yup. Reality hit us this morning as we lost to United this morning 3-1 at Old Trafford, at a ground where we historically we have not fared well at in most recent years, hell, even The Invincibles from 2003-04 couldn't figure it out (we luckily escaped with a 0-0 draw that season thanks to Ruud Vanistelrooy hitting the crossbar on a penalty).

On 8/31/2022 at 2:03 AM, BIGHMW said:

Many of us my age (56 as I am writing this) might possibly remember playing this game as mere grade school kids growing up in the mid-70's (pre-Space Invaders era). I remember feeding quarters into this game over at Shakey's whenever I went out there in the 70s, and it, Formula K (Kee Games), and Star Fire (Exidy) along with the onboard pinball machines often saw my face, but I was thinking of this game while my mind drifted off just a few minutes ago, and it brought upon the idea of maybe a 5200 port in which might be a simple one for just about anybody here on AA especially since we here on AA happen to be so blessed to be on a board with tremendous programming talents on it to port it, but especially if it were to be done more in color as opposed to the monochrome version that we played in the arcade BITD.

Maybe added features (beyond the original arcade version's extended time for a bonus) like progressive waves with count of remaining targets to hit as well as perhaps more (and even mobile and even multiplying mines at that!!!) mines to wreak havoc with your firing lines, and even shorter time lengths in which to knock off each wave, or maybe, less torpedoes per salvo (in the arcade it was 4 per salvo, then you had to wait a few seconds for the "reload" in order to make matters worse) to work with as you progress.

The joystick controller would be utilized in the analog form (like in Super Breakout, Missile Command or even Kaboom!) and would absolutely rock with either the Trak-Ball or my ProPaddle 2 to perfectly simulate the periscope on the arcade version.

How many others my age remember playing it, and how many would love to see a 5200 homebrew of Sea Wolf??? Hey, we already have Super Breakout, and the 5200 version looks and sounds far better than the OG A8 port of it, so I figure, why not this???

This was the first ever arcade game I ever played, in 1976, at 7 years old.  Good memories.  The original version had no sound, as I recall, so I kinda made the sounds in my mind as I played it.  If this ever comes to pass I wouldn't mind doing some sound design for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

This was the first ever arcade game I ever played, in 1976, at 7 years old.  Good memories.  The original version had no sound, as I recall, so I kinda made the sounds in my mind as I played it.  If this ever comes to pass I wouldn't mind doing some sound design for it. 

Maybe it had no sound because they turned down the volume on it.

I remember going to L.A. Kings games at The Forum during the late 70s-early 80s (season ticket holder from 1977-87) and all the arcade games there had the audio disabled on them on purpose so maybe the one you played on had the same thing done to it too.

• Like 1

Oh, It definitely had sound (unless it was disabled or broken)...Those SONAR Pings, the sound of torpedoes and that buzzing speedboat zipping by...This is all from playing it long ago.  I may have to look it up on YouTube (if it exists) and see if I'm dismembering well...(Ooops!  haha,  That should say Remembering Well...It struck me as funny when Spell Check overcorrected or whatever so I left it) ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 7:56 PM, Traxx said:

Is this a game 5200 gamers would really want?This would be easy for me to port but it's such a simple game.

I'll be 100% honest, I don't even really remember this game, that picture of it kinda looks familiar, but I would say that if you think you could do a port over to the 5200 and feel like messing with it, i would say do it. I think most 5200 owners are fairly appreciative of just about anything new for the machine, it seems all the other consoles get so much more, than the seems to be underappreciated 5200. and  you know some folks will like it and some won't just like any other game out there.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, Traxx said:

Is this a game 5200 gamers would really want?This would be easy for me to port but it's such a simple game.

It is a cool game but very simple, possibly too simple for the 5200.  I wonder if you could do a sort of Haunted House approach where you only allow a small area to be seen (what the periscope sees), the rest is black (or maybe blurred on easy setting?).  So the player has to keep sweeping back and forth to see what targets there are, maybe also with a small sonar scope up top sort of like Battlezone.  Make it claustrophobic, like real submarines.

Ooh, ok, you could have the ability to sweep around 360 degrees looking at the ocean surface (left/right joystick) without changing the sub's direction.  The sonar guides you to what targets are available.  You could alternate between convoys (lots of slow, easy cargo ships, a few destroyers and cruisers to attack you) and battle groups (everyone wants to kill you) with cruisers and battleships.  Maybe use keyboard input for submarine speed (full speed, half speed, quarter speed, full stop, reverse, dive, periscope depth, that would mean controller overlays!), use the lower fire buttons for submarine direction (lower button + left/right equals turns, no button equals periscope sweep) so you could wind up with the submarine moving "forward" but you're looking sideways or behind, once you see a target you have to swivel the periscope back forward, press the lower button and turn the submarine towards that target?  You would only need to be aimed in the general direction of your targets, then you could use the periscope to target the ships and fire a torpedo or two, otherwise trying to perfectly orient your sub towards targets would be impossible since they're always moving, that's asking too much for a video game with no one acting as the crew.

At the same time, some destroyers slowly move towards you as they detect you (their own sonar), they fire guns at your sub, if they get close they fire hedgehogs at you.  If they get real close they use depth charges?  It could have a look similar to Battlezone, meaning not like the original arcade game of just rows of ships all moving left and right, a few come at you occasionally.  You can also run out of torpedoes so you have to find a resupply ship to get more torpedoes and fuel (like docking in Star Raiders).  There could also be night battles, hard to see silhouettes and ship lights, higher points.  Your sub could also take damage (near miss depth charges or gun shots), taking on water (some sort of indicator at the top of the screen) that could be fixed at the resupply ship, also.

Point bonuses for sinking more than one ship in a convoy (volume) or sinking a combat ship (value), every torpedo hits, sustaining no damage during the run, etc.

I would assume the target ships would be Japanese looking, we didn't have much of a submarine presence in the Atlantic if I remember correctly, and it's not like the Germans had a lot of ships worth sinking, either.  But they could be generic-looking as well.  Max points for sinking an aircraft carrier?  Bonus for sinking a ship with one shot (probably have to be center shot, not the stern).

If I knew how to program the 5200 that's the kind of sub game I'd code, not totally arcade shoot everything that moves, but not super realistic, either.  A slower Battlezone underwater.  Way more complicated, obviously, but I think a lot more fun that just Sea Wolf without a periscope controller.

Hold on, maybe dual joysticks would solve that moving the periscope separate from the sub problem (have both options, single joystick for single player)?  And then you could have a crewmate, one player maneuvers the sub, the other moves the periscope and fires the torpedoes?  That would be fun, like how my friend and I used to play Space Dungeon.  Still need overlays for the speed and diving, I'd say.  Turn right!  Right!  Ok, that's good, I'm going to fire at that cruiser, fire 1, fire 2, oh shit, destroyer is coming, dive!  Reloading tubes, destroyer is gone, turn left, periscope depth, ok, I'm going to sink that destroyer now, fire 1, fire 2, boom!

• Like 1