IGNORED

Anyone ever think of homebrewing a port of Sea Wolf???

BIGHMW

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

That's a nice idea but I really like the kinda version that 2600 owners currently have right now, that with just slightly-improved graphics and maybe a few added wrinkles to it (like 5200 River Raid got) would be great all in itself. 

Sea Wolf 2600.zip 5.64 kB · 1 download

Ok, but it's not an either/or proposition, both could be made.  And I certainly would welcome another 5200 exclusive game that is more than just a '70s arcade port.  I mean, what other console has a curling game?  Right?  So, sure, do a port of Space Invaders in the ocean, but imagine how cool a difficult Battlezone-ish game could be, especially since actual 8-bit ports of Battlezone suck (not counting the magnificent Stramash Zone for the Vectrex) and the 5200 is such a solid system for those kinds of games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Ok, but it's not an either/or proposition, both could be made.  And I certainly would welcome another 5200 exclusive game that is more than just a '70s arcade port.  I mean, what other console has a curling game?  Right?  So, sure, do a port of Space Invaders in the ocean, but imagine how cool a difficult Battlezone-ish game could be, especially since actual 8-bit ports of Battlezone suck (not counting the magnificent Stramash Zone for the Vectrex) and the 5200 is such a solid system for those kinds of games.

Well in that case, let the Atari Faithful have their cake AND eat it too, do ports of both, those that like your idea will have that, and those of mine theirs, in fact, each variation will have their own individual exclusive wrinkles that make their port stand out from the other. A sonar Battlezone-style game will get their day in the sun, and those who like the potential of the 2600 Seawolf port... KICKED UP, Emeril Lagasse-style (BAM!!!), will get theirs and maybe there'll be fans and owners of Big Sexy (like yours truly here) who would definitely support, download,  and play BOTH!!! Not either/or, but BOTH!!!

There are more options for development on the 5200 nowadays (FastBASIC) so you might have luck making it yourself.

https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic

Perhaps learning to make your favorite games would be fodder for steams and YouTube videos.

There's always an excuse not to do something.  Asking someone else to do it gets mixed results at best.  People really dig the act of doing - even working through the roadblocks.  You can motivate others while achieving your own goals.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:24 AM, Gemintronic said:

There are more options for development on the 5200 nowadays (FastBASIC) so you might have luck making it yourself.

https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic

Perhaps learning to make your favorite games would be fodder for steams and YouTube videos.

There's always an excuse not to do something.  Asking someone else to do it gets mixed results at best.  People really dig the act of doing - even working through the roadblocks.  You can motivate others while achieving your own goals.

Huh, that looks interesting.  If I may ask a couple noob questions about it -

1) Does it run on Linux?  I saw something on there about running in DOS, that confused me.  Windows 10 is fine as well, but Linux would be more convenient.

2) Are there a couple/few examples of Atari 5200 game source code floating about?  Not to plagiarize, but to get a handle on how a good/great game is arranged (it's been a minute since I've coded anything on purpose), I would like some hand-holding in terms of how to think "video game" as far as best practices.

I'm not going to try my hand at 6502 assembler anytime soon (I wish I had that kind of dedication) so the source code (preferably in FastBASIC) of a good game with all the common parts that most games have to guide me would be fantastic.  I suppose I'd try a real simple game first before trying any of the bigger game ideas I have.  Not promising anything but I have thought about this more and more that last few years.