IGNORED

Which consoles require internet connection?

dudeguy

On 8/31/2022 at 3:48 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

It is impossible to legally get games on the Series S or PSP Go without the internet. Illegally obviously requires the internet, as well.

Cost reduced really means "we don't care for you just your money"

No disc drive? No way you're getting my money. Just because i'm a gamer doesn't mean I don't have standards. It looks like the world's most expensive doorstop.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:51 PM, dudeguy said:

How broken are the games without the patches? Like enough where you cant enjoy the game?

when you've grown up playing the likes of Bionicle for PS2 and Daikatan for PC, you come to realize that modern broken is a lot more stable then retro broken.

at least it's playable.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, Video said:

Ps4 requires internet to initially set up, but largely works without internet otherwise. Some games may need an update, but most I've thrown at it worked fine before updates. 

Xbox one required internet, games are mostly keys, or at minimum require a titanic patch before playing. I sold mine years ago (no good internet option at the time made it unusable)

Switch is a bit weird, the original and lite models require internet for setup, but the new oled one can be set up completely offline. Games are hit and miss, but largely they are fully playable sans internet, just stay away from those games with the blue and white internet banner and you should be fine. (May not be able to tell if its cart only, don't know if that's marked like the box or not)

I have no current system (maybe switch, as its Nintendo's most current console) and see no point in getting one. Yeah my internet is fine now, no that doesn't mean I'm going to intentionally buy a crippled game or console. Nothing against those that want it, I just dont. Vote with your wallet.

I guess I think long-term resale value. In 50 years, i feel confident that my SNES and NES cartridges will still work on both those consoles. I dont feel the same way about any of the Xbox One or newer games. And really any optical media games as the laser lens seems to have a lifespan of about 20 years

Yeah, its amazing that nearly all my pre 2k consoles work just fine, but most my post 2k systems have quit. In theory I could play said games on an emulator, but that's just not the same, you know? 

Of all the pre 2 k systems I have that quit on me, only one is cart based (coleco) and that's because the weird psu.

My friends are always like, "but my internet works fine" um, yeah. But im a legacy player, I buy with the expectation that I'll likely still play it decades down the road. Not really possible with keys and intentionally broken games.

I miss my original Xbox :(

Edited by Video

On 10/4/2022 at 1:31 PM, Frozone212 said:

Cost reduced really means "we don't care for you just your money"

No disc drive? No way you're getting my money. Just because i'm a gamer doesn't mean I don't have standards. It looks like the world's most expensive doorstop.

lol PSP Go is awesome, disc drive or not. Anyone who says otherwise has either never played it or has hands the size of garbage can lids.

3 hours ago, Video said:

Yeah, its amazing that nearly all my pre 2k consoles work just fine, but most my post 2k systems have quit. In theory I could play said games on an emulator, but that's just not the same, you know? 

Eventually (and already) emulators are the only way to play some games. Unless you want to go through ridiculous inconveniences like driving out to an arcade 1 hour away in the middle of a wintertime blizzard. Just no thanks on that. Would rather cozy up with snacks at home. And play on modern reliable hardware. Consoles are going that way too.

3 hours ago, Video said:

Of all the pre 2 k systems I have that quit on me, only one is cart based (coleco) and that's because the weird psu.

My friends are always like, "but my internet works fine" um, yeah. But im a legacy player, I buy with the expectation that I'll likely still play it decades down the road. Not really possible with keys and intentionally broken games.

I miss my original Xbox :(

Dunno if they're broken intentionally. Depends on the aspect you're looking at. From the need to have an internet connection for DRM and server shit, sure, yes, intentionally broken.

From the point of having to have constant updates (and zero-day updates to complete your purchase). Not sure on that. I mean players and industry alike have accepted selling incomplete games. And the bigger the production, the more incomplete a game can be on release. Smaller games have to work correctly out of the box.

I also have a strict requirement that whatever I buy I expect to play it 10.. 20.. years down the road. And since I'm a PC gamer this makes it easier or exponentially harder. There's the OS, the hardware, the configurations to deal with. So I'm very picky here too.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1