IGNORED

Music & MIDI questions...

Muzz73

Hello to my fellow Atarians!

I've had and loved ST's many times in the past, but only ever for games, word processing and general playing about. The same goes for musical instruments, composing, etc. Now that I have recently gotten my knuckles around an ST and an STE, I would like to use them for music on a hobbyist level. All of that being said...

Can anyone recommend a decent MIDI sequencer that isn't overly complicated? I would probably want to run it on the STE 4MB RAM & TOS 2.06 if possible.

The other thing I would like to ask - Does a sort of visual composer exist that would allow me to use notation to create some form of chiptune that uses both the DMA sound and YM2149F simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, chorlton655 said:

Steinberg Cubase is by far the best sequencer on the ST if you can find a copy and it’s very easy to use. Alternatively Concerto by Microdeal is a great alternative. 

Music Studio lets you use YM sounds with MIDI but not DMA. Music Maker 2 lets you use DMA sounds but I’m not sure about YM.

Many thanks!

I'll check them out!

• Like 1

Sequencer One or Breakthru (the latter being a bells and whistles version of the former) might also be worth checking out. Both allow some samples to be played at the same time as MIDI. Not chip tunes though. I know the former was given away on an ST Format coverdisk (think about issue 30) so should be easy to get hold of. The latter had a dongle iirc which might limit it's availability. Both were pretty easy to use from memory, although I went on to Cubase Audio pretty sharpish.

• Like 1

Another MIDI sequencer worth noting is C-Lab (Emagic's) Creator / Notator.  It will run on any 1 mb ST.  Creator is essentially the same as Notator without the score editing and printing elements.  Both were professional packages in their day.

Find an original version with dongle though.  The cracked versions were unstable, or so I've heard.  

• Like 1