IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 7 - Bank Panic

BydoEmpire

This round's theme is the gunslinging Wild West, featuring a requested game: Bank Panic (which I've never played and have to find the rom for...).

About the game: https://sega.fandom.com/wiki/Bank_Panic

Manual: https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File%3ABank_Panic_SMS_EU_Manual.pdf&page=1 

This round runs September 5th - 18th

24179-bank-panic-sega-master-system-fron

Bonus Round is one of my favorite light gun games, and one of the best western-themed games ever: Wanted

Totals:

1. dashopepper 862,500
  2. Asaki 596,000 (+1)
  3. fakecortex 391,150 (+1)
  4. jeremiahjt 179,500
  5. Razzie.P 165,900 (+1)
  6. BydoEmpire 44,500 (+1)

Edited by BydoEmpire

On 9/4/2022 at 12:49 AM, Razzie.P said:

I thought it was a light gun game at first and looked like a moron shooting at the screen

Kinda like kids today when they get old tech and start tapping on the screen

lol
If I was better at programming, I thought it would be cool to port the arcade Bank Panic to DS (or hack the MAME version, I think there is one?) to support the touch screen.

22 hours ago, fakecortex said:

We played this in the Colecovision HSC this season, and it totally would work well as a light gun game! Kinda seems like a missed opportunity honestly. 

Yeah, it probably would be cool, you'd just have to have the d-pad in one hand and light gun in the other. I think there's an NES game or two that works that way.
Maybe someone could hack the game?
Would also be nice to hack it to support three-button Genesis pad. I don't think anyone's done that yet.

Or just port the game to Genesis *shrug*

Edited by Asaki

Bank Panic - 165,900

Wanted - 35,400

Played a bit this morning and did decent enough to get things started.

I gotta question the smarts on some of those (innocent) dudes in Wanted.   There's a gunfight going on, so your best plan is to spend the day dressed exactly like the enemy gunfighters and walk through town?

BankPanic165900.jpg.2fcc9afdf62c1cef79b5b370e8c9a9b9.jpg

Wanted01.jpg.02e7649c1b2665037b7113aab98e5f1c.jpg

• Haha 1

This is a really fun game. A couple things keep getting me tho- I’m too quick to shoot the robbers and will get “unfair”. I’ll tell ya what’s “unfair”, it’s having my bank robbed! Also, when the people give you money, they look like they’re about to pull a gun on you, so I’ve ended up shooting them. Sorry pal, no sudden movements! There are too many games where a pedestrian ends up being a bad guy. Speaking of which...

Wanted! What a fantastic game. I made it to stage 5 (level 1 difficulty), and got a personal best. I’m getting better at not shooting the people with their hands raised, hahaha, but to @Razzie.P‘s end, come on people! That hotel scene is rough. With continues, I made it through, but called it quits on 6 for now. It’ll be awesome to beat it, even with continues, but fair warning- the manual says that if you continue on 7 (the last level), you restart on 6. 

Bank Panic - 126,900

4A87AACB-9AA7-4F23-B074-270C879680EC.thumb.jpeg.d4de477efd4ccb87a56171052c24fa8b.jpeg

Wanted - 71,100

47066711-A6C2-4BEB-A518-289DE1B3EB48.thumb.jpeg.dd789b1987e724fbae9fa38dc8c3904f.jpeg

Edited by fakecortex

Bank Panic is one of six PAL games I own (three of which are PAL only and the other three I have US versions also), so that is neat.  Wanted is another game I do not have.  I only need 15 US games for complete set, and this is like the third or fourth one that has already been played.  Should I just tell you the rest so you can add them to the season?  

Just for future reference, the other two PAL games are Ace of Aces and The Lucky Dime Caper Starring Donald Duck.  So if you are thinking of doing either of those, do it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

This is a really cool game once you figure out what's going on.

Yeah, I've played the heck out of the arcade version. The SMS port is alright, but I don't care much for the graphics.

The controls take a while to get used to, too...I'm tempted to play it on emulator so I can change the controls, but I'm gonna stick it out with the default experience. It definitely adds an extra challenge.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, BydoEmpire said:

Does anyone here speak portugese? You're cracking me up here @BydoEmpire

Here's the EU manual (with a variety of languages, haha): https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File%3ABank_Panic_SMS_EU_Manual.pdf&page=1

That segaretro.org site has been my go-to for looking up game info recently :) Which btw, taught me this interesting tidbit:

"The same hardware would also be used for the later Sega/Sanritsu game Combat Hawk." Combat Hawk, ironically, is a light gun game. Bwahahaha.

Edited by fakecortex
Combat Hawk part
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, BydoEmpire said:

I'm pretty sure this is the SG-1000 version, just in case anyone is playing it online. It's pretty neat that this arcade game made it to two consecutive Sega consoles and was a cart & card. Interestingly enough, it's set in the US, but it never made it to consoles here. Looks like it was in American arcades tho. Still pretty new to me, and I really dig it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Does anyone here speak portugese? You're cracking me up here @BydoEmpire

Here's the EU manual (with a variety of languages, haha): https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File%3ABank_Panic_SMS_EU_Manual.pdf&page=1

That segaretro.org site has been my go-to for looking up game info recently :) Which btw, taught me this interesting tidbit:

"The same hardware would also be used for the later Sega/Sanritsu game Combat Hawk." Combat Hawk, ironically, is a light gun game. Bwahahaha.

Thanks that's helpful! I googled around and that was the only one I could find lol.  I'll definitely bookmark segaretro.org for future reference.

• Like 1

I looked at my local game store's loose Master System games and they actually had a copy of Wanted.  And Kung-Fu Kid, but too late for that now.  I like my Master System games to be complete, but I may buy it just for the competition.  They wanted $19.99 for each game, but I should be able to talk them down some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I looked at my local game store's loose Master System games and they actually had a copy of Wanted.  And Kung-Fu Kid, but too late for that now.  I like my Master System games to be complete, but I may buy it just for the competition.  They wanted $19.99 for each game, but I should be able to talk them down some.

I’m with you on complete Master System games. I mean, they seem to be among the most likely to find complete, so why not shoot for it right? I got my copy on eBay for $30 after shipping (which is a lot by my buying standards, lol), but I would totally try to have them knock 5 bucks off bc it’s not complete. The game’s a lot of fun tho, so at least it’ll be money well spent whenever you get it. 

• Like 1

462900 today, I think it was round 11? I was *this* close to that extra life >_<

Got 27200 I think on Wanted (or is it one more zero? I'd have to check, but it doesn't matter).
Wanted isn't a 3D game, is it? It keeps aiming about 10 pixels to the left of where the actual cursor is, it's really throwing me off.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the emulator, but I checked Gangster Town and it was fine...

I did find out that Wanted won't run if you have the Yamaha music enabled, it's just a dark red screen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

Wanted isn't a 3D game, is it? It keeps aiming about 10 pixels to the left of where the actual cursor is, it's really throwing me off.

Nope, not 3D. I’ve found that not every phaser game is created equal. Some are a little more accurate than others. It doesn’t help that the targets are pretty tiny. It’s actually impressive how many small items you can shoot, but then any bit that the actual shot is off from the aim will be more noticeable. 

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

I did find out that Wanted won't run if you have the Yamaha music enabled, it's just a dark red screen.

That's interesting.  I didn't have the cart, so I loaded the rom onto a flash cart to play.  But it was just a dark red screen.  Figured the rom was bust, so I found a couple more.  All of them dark red screens.  I found out the rom was fine, but the thing was, it didn't work on the Mega SG, Mister, or Sega Genesis revised.   Loaded it on the Master System and OG Genesis with power base and it worked fine.  Gonna have to go back and check to see if there's a music setting that could be causing the chaos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I found out the rom was fine, but the thing was, it didn't work on the Mega SG, Mister, or Sega Genesis revised.

Yeah, I know some of the newer flash carts emulate the FM audio, I'm sure there's probably an option to disable it.
I think a lot of games sound worse with FM (especially Phantasy Star), so I usually have it turned off, but Zaxxon 3D (I think it was) actually sounded pretty good.