IGNORED

Season 21 Round 1 - Kickle Cubicle

asponge

Welcome back for Season 21 of the NES HSC!  Since it was requested, we're going to start this season off with Kickle Cubicle.  I'm not familiar with this game so if there are any special rules we need to include please let me know.

This season I'd also like to introduce a "king of the hill" competition.  The general idea for the competition is that everyone picks one game and posts their highest score for that game.  Other players will then attempt to beat that score to become king of the hill for that title.  The competition will run through the entire season.  Bonus points will be awarded to players who still hold first place for their selected game at the end of the season.  The complete rules are listed below.  I tried to be concise with the explanation. Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't clear.

After some thought I've decided to keep the regular season competition separate from the king of the hill.  They'll both run at the same time, but the points will stay separate.  I've moved the new competition to it's own thread:  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/340597-nes-king-of-the-hill/

1031944874_KickleCubicleCartridge.png.ecd6cc14f5257e0ebbc31d7c8132b154.png 1896090508_KickleCubicleScreenshot.png.d33cf1a59d62b5424007576fa5eae68b.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

No Passwords

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday September 18 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 9/18:

mbd39           5,245,400
Frozone212      4,030,400
Razzie.P        3,150,300
fakecortex      2,974,800
asponge         2,904,400
Crazy Climber   2,784,300

Season Standings:

None

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah! Kickle Cubicle! Let's see if I can remember how to do this, haha. I beat it bitd, but that was with continues and passwords of course.

And this King of the Hill competition sounds cool. I'll have to do some digging around and find a game that I'll want to come back to again and again (and also be pushed to keep getting better at).

Good luck everyone, let's have a fun season! :D

image.gif.9d117471a4b1d277ab4ad59939179a9c.gif

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

my suggestion for the next game Baseball simulator 1000 (it's not on the list)

This is my fav baseball game, but what sets it apart is playing with super powers, so my 2 cents is to play with a powered team. And the stadium you pick matters too. Dome is really big and space is easy to hit homers in. 

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

@asponge, I have a question about #4 for KotH- are you able to post an updated high score for your selected game while you still hold the #1 spot, or do you have to wait to be beaten? (For what it's worth, I would like to be able to update my pb, just like we do for regular round games.)

Yes, you can submit a better score any time.  It's actually to your advantage to do so as the better the top score is, the less points are earned by the other players.  I've updated the rules to make this clearer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

what if both players have the exact same score at the end of the round, do we get a tie breaker

That's a good question.  We don't normally worry about that with the regular season because the likelihood of two players getting the exact same score is normally really low.  There are some games that have a score limit and after reading your question here I've added a rule to exclude those titles.  I'm not sure at this moment how to resolve that.  We'll see as we get toward the end of the season whether this will be an issue or not.  

• Like 1

The scoring in this game is bonkers. I mean just compared to most others, were already breaking 1 million here, haha. 

I got got on the second board of the second kingdom, Fruit Land. 

KC - 1,606,100

4D9DFC63-BF6E-4F7A-98B2-23A6FA2A715C.thumb.jpeg.3e9d697161b7c9f4963041cd610893df.jpeg

I can see scores here getting ridiculously high. It’s the type of game that if you know how to solve a level (you can even pause to plan), you can probably spend a loooong time playing. I don’t know if I have the stamina in me, but I’ll keep going at it. What I might end up doing is just playing through with passwords for fun and beat the game. But maybe with the extra practice on later levels I’ll end up being able to start over and get a higher score. I’ve never tried for score on this game, and trying to rush through a level isn’t really my speed for this one, so my plan is to just play at a good pace and let the points build as they do. 

I hope everyone enjoys this super cute puzzler that gave me many hours of fun as a kid :)

On 9/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, asponge said:

After some thought I've decided to keep the regular season competition separate from the king of the hill.  They'll both run at the same time, but the points will stay separate.  I've moved the new competition to it's own thread:  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/340597-nes-king-of-the-hill/

I like this idea!

20220906_220139.thumb.jpg.b320355bd2bf4d9284d29376f56f8f66.jpg

Been awhile since I played this one.

Unfortunately once I got ahold of games like Dragon Warrior, etc I really overlooked a lot of good puzzle style games. I remember seeing this one BITD but didn't really give it a fair chance.

Its a shame since its very similar to one of my all time favorites Lolo.

Tip - On hectic screens that require some strategy pause the game, study the layout of the level and come up with a battle plan before charging in. 

• Like 1

2066914859_KickleCubicle.png.cc0f8bbb884fad66e7fe769164692173.png

On 9/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, Crazy Climber said:

Tip - On hectic screens that require some strategy pause the game, study the layout of the level and come up with a battle plan before charging in. 

Excellent tip for folks who haven't played this before (like myself). I employed this quite a bit. This game reminds me of Solomon's Key in that once you've figured out the puzzle for a given level each subsequent attempt is a little bit easier.  

• Like 1